Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me about your 05 GT.....new guy here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 04:15 AM
Silent Bob
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Tell me about your 05 GT.....new guy here.

Has anyone had a chance to run their GT's? Getting number around or better then the magazine racers?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:32 AM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

While this is also my first Mustang, I've driven many others. The '05 shifter, clutch, steering, looks, ergonomics, build are what set it apart in a major way from previous Mustangs.

As far as comparing it to a 350Z, RX8, etc.....the Mustang has probably the one of the best ride/handling balances of any car within $10K of it's price. It'll cruise comfortably all day on the highway, yet shat 'n git, right now if you ask it to.

There's nothing quite as visceral as the feel you get when you first start it up (anyone else notice how this car starts immediately when you turn the key....maybe a split second worth of cranking?). Short of some exotic (and very expensive) machinery, this is probably the best sounding car at anything near it's price.

Seats are comfy (don't care one way or the other for heated seats). IUP (especially with ICAP) makes the interior just plain stunning.

With so many things that Ford could have done wrong (take a look at a GTO for a lesson in that dept), this is an amazing vehicle out of the box. Even the earlier build glitches (which mine doesn't have) like the fuel fillup, Shaker, etc (all were relatively minor) issues, this car is built right, runs right and is solid as a rock.

Can't commend Ford enough regarding the Mustang.

Best numbers I've seen from an independent source is 0-60 in 4.9 secs (with a broken in GT), 1/4s in the mid 13s....bone stock. Impressive!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:13 AM
COBERA

Well this is an interesting thread....

My first impression of the GT V8 engine bay was that Ford did not spend too much time or money making that engine look nice. There is alot of black tubing, plastic, wires and paint crammed in there. I suspect that eventually the aftermarket will (or does) offer a bunch of engine and engine compartment dress up options.

Here in Connecticut the heated seats would be of great benefit in the winter months (Nov thru April). I suppose that you could bring the Stang to any knowledgeable auto interior shop and have a seat heater retrofitted to the Stang. These heater membranes are fairly common now.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Hunter

Huh, interesting words coming from a guy living in Florida!

So, since you're such a tough guy, I presume you've had the air conditioning removed and saved those unneccessary extra pounds then?

ORIGINAL: Dare

OMG! How useful is that... "ya it's a great car but no heat seats" OHHHH POOOOOO WAAAAAH! Someone's got sensitive nads or somn! Come on, muscle car drivers are supposed to be tough! Get a pair!
Old 03-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Hunter

ORIGINAL: 05SonicBlue

handling-wise i'm still sorting out the mustang. at speed, i find it feels "floaty" above 80mph, versus the M3 which felt rock solid well into triple digits. in corners, i've not come anywhere near to pushing the limits of the mustang yet as i am finding the heel-toe is more difficult to get right in the mustang than it was in the miata or M3. where I could "toss" the M3 or miata into most corners and emerge without drama, i'm finding the mustang forces me to setup turns properly. the mustang responds to throttle/brake inputs amazingly well. in other words, the mustang rewards good technique, and definitely lets you know when you are being sloppy in the turns, whereas my two prior cars were way more forgiving in the corners.
05SonicBlue

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of post I've been looking for! I'm going to be getting rid of my Saab Viggen and keeping my Miata. A friend of mine is going to be getting a base Boxster before I'm able to get a GT. So, my handling target is the Boxster. As I've only done the test ride with the sales guy in the car, I haven't had my own opportunity, yet, to see how it floats or doesn't float in the corners.

So, as you get it sorted out, I hope you post your solutions.

Hunter
Old 03-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Silent Bob
1st Gear Member

Steeda has a lot of suspension upgrades already.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:37 PM
lexigirl

ORIGINAL: scanman

Thinking about an 05 GT purchase. Never owned a Mustang before and I would like to here from you GT owners your impressions of the new Mustang. Hows it handle? hows it compare to other cars you'v owned? Any negatives? Stuff like that.

Thanks
The only negative I can come up with is that the seat belt cuts into my neck (I'm 5'5"). Oh, and for someone my height, visibility is a bit tricky cause of the spoiler and thick beams between the back window and the triangle shaped windows (can't think what they're called right now). I handle this by just being very careful when I back up or change lanes, and by using my side mirrors a lot.

Other than that, I LOVE THIS CAR. It handles well, is quiet and smooth, and kicks a$$, not to mention that it didn't break my budget. My hubby has a stock 98 M3, and I like my car much better. His has way more road noise and feel, and is a much stiffer car in my opinion. I really think the stang is way quicker off the start, although I have to say, third gear in the M3 is amazing.

Of course, after driving a Durango for five years, anything would seem peppy...
Old 03-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Cappi
2nd Gear Member

#1- heated seats??? Its a Mustang not a BMW!!

#2- this is one of my many mustangs,....it is the best car ive ever owned, smooth ride, shifts like butter, traction control is great! the car drives as smooth as silk & the car MOVES!!

#3- its by far the best bang for the buck!

#4- get it,...you WILL NOT regret it!!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

I'm ashamed to be associated with people who thing traction control is "great". Especially the traction control on the 05 mustang. If it had a better system like bmw, I could see your point. But this ETC is bull. When a tire starts spinning it just shuts off the throttle. How great is it to have no throttle control while you're spinning out on a wet street?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Silent Bob
1st Gear Member

Heated seats LOL...don't use them in my TL here in Alaska.

A/C might be removed when I'm back in AZ.

The steering wheel - are those buttons just for Cruise Control? I'll get a MOMO and remove CC.

You can switch the passenger side airbag off right?

Seats...just getting cloth...so I can get Sparco buckets.

Dont like the IUP....but the info cluster itself can be purchased and installed / reflashed.

Hopefully someone will make a OEM looking front grill without the pony.

Shaved GT emblems sides/rear

I wish Ford put the antenna in the rear window like many cars have. Would look cleaner.

Paint matched mirrors? I dunno might look good.