Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Racing 4.10 gears are in!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:07 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Racing 4.10 gears are in!

I love it!!! Step-by-step photos...even when you pay to have work done....man you must love your camera!!!!!!

I'm taking it that if you put a big panhard rod it will not clear the girdle????
Old 05-08-2007, 01:30 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponyman

I'm taking it that if you put a big panhard rod it will not clear the girdle????
Without measuring, it looks like I have about a 1/2" clearance to the panhard bar. Compare your bar's diameter to the stock one and calculate from there.

I wish I had a digital SLR, I could've gotten some better detailed pics. [8D]
Old 05-08-2007, 03:50 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Extremely COOL!!!! Ive reallygotten a kick"outta"reading your install threads!!!!![sm=smiley20.gif]They are great!!

I absolutely love that cover and I am going to ask myhubby, who is a heavy line technician at our localFord dealership,to hook me up with that cover when he does my 3.73 gearinstall in the next couple of weeks. Although Ilove the idea of having 4.10s, it just wouldnt be practical for what Im doing with my pony so Im going for the 3.73s.

Nice job Tacobill!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 01:53 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

After poking around the internet about gear break-in's, this is what I found..

Here's some new Ring & Pinion gear break-in recommendations by the manufacturers. Procedures vary, but they all hymn to the same note.

US GEARS:
BREAK-IN PROCEDURE

A new ring and pinion installed with new bearings will initially generate higher than normal operating temperatures. It is advisable to use whichever of the following break in procedures matches your application.
[ul][*][align=left]With vehicle still on jack stands and rear-end filled with proper amount of lube, run in forward and reverse approximately 2 to 3 minutes. ** [/align][*][align=left]Drive vehicle approximately 10 miles at normal operating speeds. Accelerate and decelerate several times conservatively, then let cool. [/align][*][align=left]Do not do any heavy towing for 300 miles. [/align][/ul]
PRECISION GEAR:
1. Insure that the axle has been filled to the correct level with proper hypoid lubricant before driving the vehicle. The oil rating must be GL5 or higher.
2. Bring the axle to normal operating temperature by driving the vehicle (unloaded) for approximately 15 to 20 miles. Do not run full throttle accelerations or create any shock loads.
3. Let the axle assembly cool completely.
4. For the next 200 miles of operation, drive gently, without any heavy loads.
5. If trailer towing is intended, an additional cycle of 200 to 300 miles of break-in is required without the trailer. This is important! To properly break-in a new gear set, a minimum of 500 miles of driving is essential before towing.

RICHMOND GEAR:
BREAK IN
A new ring and pinion installation, especially a high numeric ratio with new bearings, can cause an excessive heat buildup in the rear end and cause softening of the gear teeth and bearings if a break in is not performed.
Street vehicles should be driven at normal street driving speed for approximately 10 miles, then stop and let cool for 30 minutes. Do this 2 to 3 times. Towing vehicles need approximately 200-300 miles of normal street driving before being used for towing.
On circle track race cars make approximately 6 to 8 laps at slow speed, then let cool for 30 minutes. Make 6 to 8 more laps at slow speed, then 2 to 3 laps at full speed, the let cool again for 30 minutes.
Drag cars need only an initial run-in since they are driven short distances and heat is not normally a problem with proper lube and backlash allowance.
NOTE: If after the above break in is performed, overheating of the rear end is suspected, repeat the final portion of the break in procedures.

REAREND SPECIALTIES:

NEW GEAR BREAK-IN: All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. After driving the first 15 to 20 miles, stop and let the differential cool before proceeding. Limit freeway speeds to under 55mph. Go easy on it. RS Warranty also requires at least 500 miles before towing. RS recommends towing for very short distances (less than 15 miles) and letting the differential cool before continuing during the first 45 towing miles. This may seem unnecessary but it is very easy to damage the differential by loading it before the gear set is completely broken in. RS also recommends changing the oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles or phosphorus coating that has come from the new gear set.
The greatest damage results when a new ring & pinion has been run for several miles during the first 500 miles when the oil is very hot. Any heavy use or overloading at this time will cause irreparable damage to the gear that will not be warranted by RS.

[align=center]OVERLOADING NEW GEAR-SETS WILL CAUSE THE GEAR OIL TO BREAK DOWN AND THE RING & PINION WILL FAIL...OR MELT![/align]
Old 05-09-2007, 01:57 PM
05 Mustang GT
2nd Gear Member

Taco Bill

What do you do for a living? You are spending lots of money on that car. Maybe I need a change of profession, Engineering obviously not paying as much as your chosen path. LOL

Looks great and as stated great info provided.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

Those 4.10 are steep. Do you have a SC? My 3.73's feel like I can't get on the shifter fast enough under WOT. I have just a second between 1st and 2nd, I can't imagine what 4.10's would do. I love the girdle, nice bling bling..
Old 05-09-2007, 11:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

I wish I had a digital SLR, I could've gotten some better detailed pics. [8D]
+1

That is where a DSLR excels, low light. I have a supercharger worth of cameras and lenses.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:52 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

Looks great TB.......the low profile girdle is the way to go.....no re-location of panhard....I went that same route.....when I chucked the 7.5.........................
Old 05-10-2007, 03:12 PM
GrabberOrange07
2nd Gear Member

What RPM's are you pulling at say, 60, 65, 70, 75 in 5th gear? Just wondering for traveling purposes.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I think I'm turning ab out 2000 rpms at 55. By the time you hit 3000 your going 85.

Quick Reply: Ford Racing 4.10 gears are in!