Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure light on after oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Pressure light on after oil change?

ORIGINAL: jts

The motor takes 6QTS
IT JUST TAKES A WHILE TO SHOW ON THE DIPSTICK.
[:@][:@][:@][:@]

How long? 3 months? After 5 minutes with a warm engine it should be an accurate reading. Also make sure your on level ground of course.
I know you'll be fine with 6 quarts. No argument there. It will put it in the range of operation, but I like mine to be at the top of the range.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:45 AM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

Yep. The oil pressure sensor is located on the backside of the oil filter adapter (the thing the oil filter screws onto). They probably knocked the connector loose or damaged it somehow when they changed the filter. This is why I never let anybody touch any of my cars unless it is something that I am unable to do, myself.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:25 AM
superslow
2nd Gear Member

i used to work at jiffy lube not to long ago, i would double check EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's not their car so usually they dont care about it. also some fords actually take 6 quarts not 6.5. add 6 quarts, start it then let it sit for bout 5 minutes. then check your oil level. it might be full at 6!!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 04:57 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: superslow

i used to work at jiffy lube not to long ago, i would double check EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's not their car so usually they dont care about it. also some fords actually take 6 quarts not 6.5. add 6 quarts, start it then let it sit for bout 5 minutes. then check your oil level. it might be full at 6!!!!
6 is what its suppose to be....not 6.5.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:01 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

dont use royal crap it is pos a oil and doesn't pass the latest oil standards. If you are going for a oil use redline 5w-20 if not then use mobil 1 oil. Stay away from the ford crap, it is a synthethic blend. They can talk all they want but when their engine is all sludged up from running non-synthethics we will see who was right on the matter.

Andrew
Old 05-10-2007, 07:09 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Mine took just shy of 6.5 qts as well. I was shocked at first asI filled the oil filter up 2/3 full and than placed the rest of the 6 quarts I purchased. After running the motor for a couple of minutes and letting the oil get back down to the pan I had to put about 1/2 qt in after. No problems with each check and the oil level is about 3/4 up toward the full line in the do not add area.
ORIGINAL: Stoenr

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD
..... Your motor holds 6 Qts. Period.

Richard

Mine takes 6.5 to get to the top of the fill line. Alot others have reported this also.
Either way a pint over is not going to make the light come on. Like Richard said, maybe they knocked something off like the sensor, who knows with those places.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:17 AM
tientran
2nd Gear Member

One pint of oil overfill is not harmful to the engine. You don't need to take it out.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Perdi
2nd Gear Member

I was told that the level on the dipstick on these motors is not all that accurate... it tends to read low...

6 quarts.... that's it...

Another thing to consider however is that if you are using individual quarts, there is going to be more left in each bottle, so that you may be a hair low... nothing personally I worry about....
Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Perdi

I was told that the level on the dipstick on these motors is not all that accurate... it tends to read low...

6 quarts.... that's it...

Another thing to consider however is that if you are using individual quarts, there is going to be more left in each bottle, so that you may be a hair low... nothing personally I worry about....

I just did my first oil change in the beast at 500 miles. I was looking at the 5 qt Mobil 1 oil bottles at Walley's, and there was quite a difference between them. Some were as much as 1 inch difference in the fill. Best to trust the dip stick and not the bottle.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:28 PM
erniep

Hi Guys,
Thank you for your ideas .... Lees07GT called it!!! The oil change guys had pulled the wire out of the connector on the oil pressure sending unit near the oil filter. Plugged it in and all is well. I'll have to resolder the broken wire, but it's a quick fix.

That is the last time I will take my car to an oil change place ... I figured, I got good oil, a good filter, checked the oil level myself, what could they do wrong ............ well now I'm wiser.

I am curious about some vigorous objections to the royal purple? Why do you hate them so?[>:]

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure light on after oil change?