Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Recommendation on Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:49 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default Need Recommendation on Brake Pads

Ok the title pretty much sums it up but i will give some more info. I have purchased a set of Rotor Pros Slotted and Drilled Rotors(Skip the spew about them being non beneficial) I was originally going to purchase the EBC rotors with the Redstuff pads but the Rotor Pros Rotors are about half the cost. I got a set of 4 for the cost of just the fronts in the EBC Brand. So I figure I will still get the EBC Redstuff pads but after speaking with the Rotor Pro owner he suggested staying away from them due to them being ceramic and saying they are hard on the rotors. So i figure no big deal i will just go with the EBC Greenstuff, well they do not make them for our cars it's either the Redstuff or the Yellowstuff and the Yellows are basically for full out racing which i do not need. I also will NOT buy HAWK pads as I currently have them on my 97 F-150 and they suck. Noisy as hell and leave lots of dust. So i started thinking as good of a price as I got on the RotorPro Rotors maybe i just go with the Redstuff pads anyway since out car is a fair weather car only and if and when the rotors wear out I simply buy a new set since they are not to expensive.

So any thoughts??

Richard
Old 05-10-2007, 01:09 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Recommendation on Brake Pads

I myself am running hawk and not very happy with the dust and noise but they do stop me. I have heard a lot of good about the pads that ROTORPros sells. I'd see what kind of deal he'd make you on his pads. I have heard that the ceramic are very tough on the rotorpros rotors which is why I stayed away form them. GOOD LUCK
Old 05-10-2007, 01:28 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

you cant have your cake and eat it too. good pads are going to make noise and dust - get used to it.

On the street I have Hawk HPS and have no noise , but some dusting.I also own a friggin hose.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:37 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

What do you guys mean by NOISY? Can someone explain to me the noise you hear? Thanks!
Old 05-10-2007, 02:30 PM
zx9rpilot
2nd Gear Member

SQUEAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 04:22 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

See, this is what I don't understand about break-pads. Don't you want the car to NOT squeak?!?! Why would they make pads that squeak? If someone on the street hears it, wouldn't they think you need new breaks?

Now I'm skeptical about having pads installed.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:54 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

they squeak until they are up to operating temp, which you most likely wont get on the street. since I have ducts, mine never get to temp on the street
Old 05-10-2007, 05:15 PM
zx9rpilot
2nd Gear Member

The two reasons brake pads squeak are:

1. Sub-par friction material (metallic, organic, etc)
2. Brake pad movement inside caliper due to poor fitment or lack of brake shims.

We use Akebono at my shop on foreign and domestic and have had ZERO noise issues. I think the part# for our cars are:

Front: ACT1081
Rear: ACT1082

Old 05-10-2007, 07:02 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Can someone recommend a good non-performance replacement pad for the OEM pads? An upgrade from stock in regards to quality, finish etc... but not performance minded.

I'm not going to purchase performance pads if they're going to squeal like a pig! Thanks!

G
Old 05-10-2007, 08:27 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I think the HPS pads are fine. Cant say I hear any squeals either. Many people use these pads and I have not heard but 1-2 complain.

Quick Reply: Need Recommendation on Brake Pads