Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripe Job Gone Bad??

Old 05-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Rockman95

Default Stripe Job Gone Bad??

I have a 2007 Mustang with a factory hood scoop....it's been about 3 weeks since I had stripes installed on the car. I just noticed that my hood stripesare starting to "bunch up" or crease near the corners of the hood scoop. It looks like maybe the scoop might be causing the problem. I tried to take pictures, but the creases don't show up that well with the white stripes. Anyone else experience this problem? It's only bunching up where the scoop comes in contact with the hood. I'm wondering if the installer forget to put weatherstripping back on the scoop. For those who have scoops, what material did you use to ensure you didn't have this problem? Please give exact product you use (if possible). I'm sure I'll need to use weatherstripping....what thickness and technique did you use? I've been told it probably is a result of hood scoop vibration, but I haven't seen the hood move or vibrated any (yeah, I know, probably isn't visible with the naked eye, LOL).

I reordered the two damaged stripes from BSM and am going to take it back to the installer. Please help
Old 05-10-2007, 10:24 PM
555*
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Stripe Job Gone Bad??

Pull them off and have them painted , vinyl is for houses. [8D]
Old 05-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, if your paying I'll pull mine off. Back to the questiion, I heard about the scoops expanding and contracting and that might be the cause.(pulling the vinyl). They might have to be cut and rolled under the scoop.Just tyrin to give some input.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

The scoop vibrates and damages the sripes it's going to get much worse, this is well documented. There is a way around it but I've heard most frequently to simply cut the stripes around the scoop, it would also be a good idea to give the scoop seperate stripes.

The installer didn't do the job correctly if this is happening.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Rockman95

Hmmm....I thought they actually were "rolled" underneath the scoop. I believe that's one reason they are bunching up. I think I might be able to just get some better weatherstripping to go under the scoop.....

If I had the money, I definitely would "paint" the stripes. But, I wanted to try out this new appearance mod first before I took the big plunge....so far, I'm digging it. I just bought the car in October and now everyone that saw it back then is asking me if I bought "another car"...LOL. This thing really looks hot coming down the highway, people are breaking their necks trying to catch a peek. I was driving it yesterday and this guy pulled up to me at a redlight....I thought he was going to burn a hole in my car the way he was staring at the car....I actually got a little uncomfortable and self-conscious (oh, I feel so violated), LOL.

Okay, let's here from those folks who have a scoop with stripes. Any problems with your stripes creasing or bunching up? How did you secure your scoop????
Old 05-10-2007, 11:49 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

I dont know anything about this problem. But I scoped out a vinyl job done by a dealer..and I was not impressed. It had bubbles and seemed to be lifting in spots around the edges. Mind you this was a fresh job they slapped on a V6 to get it off the lot. I guess what Im getting at is..is this a dealer job or did a graphics place do them? Im considering doing vinyl myself.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:50 PM
grafix66
1st Gear Member

Don't blame the installer. Hood scoop vibration, flexing, etc is not the fault of the installer and how is one to know that it would happen? Perhaps you're right that a weatherstripe of some sort would help the issue, but wouldn't that raise the height of the scoop so that it is no longer flush? I'd say have the stripe cut to go around the scoop and your problem should be solved.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Rockman95

ORIGINAL: Legion5

The scoop vibrates and damages the sripes it's going to get much worse, this is well documented. There is a way around it but I've heard most frequently to simply cut the stripes around the scoop, it would also be a good idea to give the scoop seperate stripes.

The installer didn't do the job correctly if this is happening.
Hmmm. "cut the stripes around the scoop"??? I haven't heard that one. How would I do that? I'm not quite sure what it'd look like. Wouldn't I have a little gap between thescoop and the stripe if I did this???

Anyone done this? Pics please.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:11 AM
GrabberOrange07
2nd Gear Member

I'm started to see this on my 07' It's only near the two front corners and at the center behind the scoop. My stripes are under and I think its where the pressure from the scoop pushes down on the stripes. The side have about a 1" long and about 1/16" wide imperfection on the sides and the rear is about 1/4" long, same width problem. I notice it because I stare at my car but to most it is not noticeable. Think they are blinded by my color.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Rockman95

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if "cutting the stripe out" around the scoop is the way to go. I wonder how hard this would be. I don't want the installer to take a blade to my hood if he cuts the stripe out around my scoop. We may be doomed to this defect if we don't cut the stripe out though.....yeah, I know everyone, "paint the damn stripes".Not an option right now....maybe later

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stripe Job Gone Bad??