Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are 4:10's with a Vortech too much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: are 4:10's with a Vortech too much?

I buy the numbers....

the skepttisim is that your number is on the high side and dnyos can be set up to read high to make the tuner look good. also the MD or DJ issue creeps in as well. DJ's typically read about 8-12% higher from what I've read then the MD. just my .02

my Vortech H.O. made 435 on a MD @ 6350 hitting 10.2 PSI... and the power was still climbing!!
Old 05-12-2007, 06:41 PM
lieu910
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stkjock

I buy the numbers....

Figuring the disparity between MD & DJ we are right in the same ball park.

Did you havefuel pressureissues?I was under 30 psi by 5200 rpm.

the skepttisim is that your number is on the high side and dnyos can be set up to read high to make the tuner look good. also the MD or DJ issue creeps in as well. DJ's typically read about 8-12% higher from what I've read then the MD. just my .02

my Vortech H.O. made 435 on a MD @ 6350 hitting 10.2 PSI... and the power was still climbing!!
Old 05-12-2007, 08:32 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

This place guarantees 470rwhp with the Vortech.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html

It's alcohol injected though. They want $5600 for the complete kit installed and dynoed, the whole kitten kaboodle.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

i had no fuel issues that I was told about.... my kit came with the boost-a-pump

and yeah were in the same ballpark
Old 05-12-2007, 08:54 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: lieu910

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

I have never heard of a single person getting more the 400 rwhp out of the H/O kit with the vortech tune.

It took me 14 psi to get 526 rwhp on race gas with 26ยบ of timing and I made 470-480'ish on pump gas with 17ยบ of timing. This was at 14 psi (3.31 pulley)

Frankly, I have a hard time buying your making 470 at 9 psi.

I ran 4.10 gears and never ever had a problem crossing the beams in 4th. Viking is dead on - around 6200-6500 rpm is where you'll be depending on how and where you shift.

But, I have to say, if you really want to increase your times, get rid of the darn street tires and run some ET Streets. You're only going to hurt your 60's adding 4.10's to street tires.

Please, I have better things to do than BS about dyno numbers. I'd be happy to post the dyno sheet tomorrow when I get off duty.

The shop that did my install is very experienced with Vortech and has not had any 3V cars with the HO kit under 400 hp canned tune or not. Sounds like you're poo-poo on the Vortechs, which is no skin off my nose. Go to modualrfords.com. Lots of aftercooled Vortech guys there all making about what I do, some making more.

No Vortech owners over at MF (or ANY forum) is making or have ever made 470 RWHP on the vortech tune at 9 psi. Sure you aren't confusing fwhp? Also, are you absoutely positve your shop didn't replace the pulley? I'm talking about 9 psi which is made onthe kit included 3.61 pulley.

F' it - I'm not going to argue with you. You can post a dyno sheet or whatever, it doensn't mean squat and doesn't show your pulley.

I'll just base my opinion on the fact that Sutton Performance (who BTW has the worlds fastest stock motor vortech and was the first to get an S197 in the 9's) wasn't able to make 470 rwhp on pump gas on the basic kit. So I guess you know a lot more than they do.

You said and I quote - "making about 9 psi with it though when we tuned it. The Vortech tune is very conservative. I think we pulled another 15-20 hp out of the tune."

That means you are saying that the Vortech supplied tune made 450 rwhp at 9 psi. BS any way you slice it. You talk about psi numbers like you know something but it's obvious when you say 'lot's of guys are getting these numbers at 9-10 psi" that you don't realize that there is more to making HP than the psi level. BTW - centri, turbos, TS, and roots are not all the same HP at the same psi levels.

I was still trying to be nice when I said I had a hard time with the numbers and still answered your question but if you're going to be a dick, then I'll call BS.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:56 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: moosestang

This place guarantees 470rwhp with the Vortech.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html

It's alcohol injected though. They want $5600 for the complete kit installed and dynoed, the whole kitten kaboodle.
Did you also read this part of the article...

"...and go with a pulley change that ups the boost to about 12.5 psi"

Lieu910 is FOS pure and simple.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:04 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Stkjock

I buy the numbers....

That is a great and realistic number. The vortech canned tune is based on the 6200 factory rev limiter. These centrif's really wake up after 3800 rpm and on the factory limiter setting, it's almost impossibel to see over 9 psi. Have to bump upthe fatory limiter and pull the thing to at least 6500-6800 to see the kit pulley produce a solid 11 psi. It's possible to even hit 12 with some delicate tuning, good gas, and spinning the car up in the 7K range.

The average RWHP on the vortech tune is 390-410 rwhp. Tuners lean the tune out a little, bump up the limiter, make some changes to the a/f curves and injector slopes and can get up to 40 more rwhp depending on some some gas and timing issues.

The next step is to pulley down and then it's a simple matter of getting 470+ numbers.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:21 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Its not worth it mark. I know and you know he is full of crap.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:46 PM
lieu910
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lieu910

I have never heard of a single person getting more the 400 rwhp out of the H/O kit with the vortech tune.

It took me 14 psi to get 526 rwhp on race gas with 26ยบ of timing and I made 470-480'ish on pump gas with 17ยบ of timing. This was at 14 psi (3.31 pulley)

Frankly, I have a hard time buying your making 470 at 9 psi.

I ran 4.10 gears and never ever had a problem crossing the beams in 4th. Viking is dead on - around 6200-6500 rpm is where you'll be depending on how and where you shift.

But, I have to say, if you really want to increase your times, get rid of the darn street tires and run some ET Streets. You're only going to hurt your 60's adding 4.10's to street tires.

Please, I have better things to do than BS about dyno numbers.I'd be happy to post the dyno sheet tomorrow when I get off duty.

The shop that did my install is veryexperienced with Vortech and has not had any 3V cars with the HO kit under 400 hp canned tune or not.Sounds like you're poo-poo on the Vortechs, which is no skin off my nose. Go to modualrfords.com. Lots of aftercooled Vortech guys there all making about what I do, some making more.

No Vortech owners over at MF (or ANY forum) is making or have ever made 470 RWHP on the vortech tune at 9 psi. Sure you aren't confusing fwhp? Also, are you absoutely positve your shop didn't replace the pulley? I'm talking about 9 psi which is made onthe kit included 3.61 pulley.

F' it - I'm not going to argue with you. You can post a dyno sheet or whatever, it doensn't mean squat and doesn't show your pulley.

I'll just base my opinion on the fact that Sutton Performance (who BTW has the worlds fastest stock motor vortech and was the first to get an S197 in the 9's) wasn't able to make 470 rwhp on pump gas on the basic kit. So I guess you know a lot more than they do.

You said and I quote - "making about 9 psi with it though when we tuned it. The Vortech tune is very conservative. I think we pulled another 15-20 hp out of the tune."

That means you are saying that the Vortech supplied tune made 450 rwhp at 9 psi. BS any way you slice it. You talk about psi numbers like you know something but it's obvious when you say 'lot's of guys are getting these numbers at 9-10 psi" that you don't realize that there is more to making HP than the psi level. BTW - centri, turbos, TS, and roots are not all the same HP at the same psi levels.

I was still trying to be nice when I said I had a hard time with the numbers and still answered your question but if you're going to be a dick, then I'll call BS.
You are contradicting yourself. My car did not make the 470 with the Vortech tune, and I am not professing to know more than Sutton Performance. I am not questioning their ability, or trying to disprove their efforts.I'm justtelling you what my car dyno'd period. I am simply reporting the information given to me, and you felt inclined to "politely" call me a liar. In response to that kind of attitude - you can bet I'll address it.

My statements are fact based - i.e., my car, and the specificdata pulled from it. I suppose it's possible the shop could have been dishonest, but Ihave no reason to suspect that.The owner of the shop is Mike Post who is a well known and respected tuner in the Mustang community in the Chicago area. Mike has become a great friend, and has proven to me on numerous occasions that he is a man of integrity.

I have a post at MF asking the Vortech guys what theyare producingon the dyno. I have only 1 reply at last check and it was 455 whp, very close to mine (actually 467 whp, I called my wife and had her dig it out). The difference in 12 hp is minimal and can be explained by different a/f ratios, individual dyno's, timing, temperature etc.Another post here accounts for having 438 on a Mustang Dyno, which typically dyno less than the DJ.You sound like a fairly well informed person, so I'm sure you understand all those variables. Based on just those two accounts, my numbers appear to be in the vicinity.

Next time you "politely" call someone a liar and openly refuse to accept proving data as validation of their claim - don't be surprised when they take someoffense.

No hard feelings on this end.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:54 PM
lieu910
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06SaLeEn

Its not worth it mark. I know and you know he is full of crap.
Full of crap for being able to readmy owndyno sheet?Brilliant reasoning. Read my post above. Honestly guys, I have nothing to gain from attempting to BS anyone here. I'm 40years old, and not somedumb kid.

I can't swear the shop didn't pull something, but if it was done, it was done without my knowledge, and as I said I highly doubt that scenario took place.

Nice place. Call a guy a liarfor reporting information on a printed doccument.

Quick Reply: are 4:10's with a Vortech too much?