Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable LCA install gone awry. . . HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 06:41 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Adjustable LCA install gone awry. . . HELP.

Damn, what a saga...I'm glad you got everything worked out. Hope your face has healed as well. Take the car back to that shop in about a month and have them check all the torques again. I know 129 is alot, but you'd be surprised that they will get loose. I did most of my susp mods in June 06 and by July I was geating a creaking sound from the left rear. Sure enough, a bolt from the left LCA was a bit loose. Re-torqued everything and haven't had an issue since. And I used all the stock bolts/nuts that weren't replaced with the new parts.[8D]
Old 05-28-2007, 02:19 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

lucky me my face healed fine. no quasimoto scars or anything. so you torqued them yourself? i'm not exactly a whimpy scrawny guy, and i'm relatively savvy figuring out car problems, but i'll be damned if i can figure out how to torque them on my own [without seriously injuring myself].
Old 05-28-2007, 04:01 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

lucky me my face healed fine. no quasimoto scars or anything. so you torqued them yourself? i'm not exactly a whimpy scrawny guy, and i'm relatively savvy figuring out car problems, but i'll be damned if i can figure out how to torque them on my own [without seriously injuring myself].
LOL...Glad to hear it. I have access to lifts, so it's not like I was doing it on my back. It's still a b*tch, even standing up. However, aside from that, I've done just about everything else in the garage...you seem to find interesting positions to get some power behind torque wrenches while under the car.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:39 PM
VWILLO
2nd Gear Member

I used my race jack, slipped it under the end of the torque wrench and jack slowly.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:58 PM
guydon
2nd Gear Member

Doing suspension work always worries me for this same reason
Old 05-28-2007, 07:46 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VWILLO

I used my race jack, slipped it under the end of the torque wrench and jack slowly.
THAT'S IT!!!!! dammit, i should've asked you how you did that!!! i knew there was a way to do it without me break-a me face-a!!! do you have the "metronome" type torque wrench or a nice one? i knew it, a nice one. . .
Old 05-28-2007, 08:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So they measured from the front wheels to the back wheels?

If you have a 150 ft lb torque wrench (click type) then you shouldn't have a problem torquing the control arm bolts. I don't have a problem even with the car on ramps and I only weigh 150 lbs.

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

well, i must sheepishly admit my little accident with the car. i was trying to torque the bolts to 129. holy **** i don't know how you guys did it on your own! how do you get the car up high enough to allow you room to pull/push on the wrench? anyways, so here i am with the wheels off to try and get to a bolt, on my knees with all my weight on the wrench [with a long adaptor on it, a no-no] and BAM! next thing i knew wrench was off and my face was bloody, glasses broken. the wrench slipped off and i did a face plant. i'm luck i didn't break my nose.

so over the weekend i went to a goodyear shop where my bro takes his cars and they torqued every thing down [even they had trouble with it on a drive on lift!] and adjusted the LCAs by simply measuring the wheelbase [hopefully pinion angle is ok]. everythings tight now and no more kick out. autocross went well and the rear suspension performed beautifully [can't say that for the driver].
Old 05-29-2007, 10:54 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

yeah, measured front center of wheel to back center of wheel. made it the factory setting of 170.1 or whatever the wheelbase is. i realize this probably messed up the pinion angle and i'll have to re-adjust that again.

i don't think mine's a click type. if "click" means the kind where you twist the handle to get the right setting then that's not the one i have. it was the cheapest craftsman one that has an arrow that points to the lb/ft as you tighten. works fine for the lugs, but maybe i need yet another tool to do this a better way.