Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O/R H Pipe and a new ping sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:22 PM
goharv

Default O/R H Pipe and a new ping sound

Ok, I put on my Pypes O/R H pipe about a month ago. Would adding the O/R H pipe cause an engine to ping?

After putting it on I noticed a new sound coming from what appears to be the drivers side of the engine. Almost sounds like a ping, but it only comes at lower RPMs, under 1800 or so, once 2k RPM is hit it goes away. I know removing the cats exposes many more 'noises' from the engine and am just curious if this very slight ping is just normal engine noise that is usually muffled by the cats. I checked and had an exhaust shop check just to make sure it wasn't some sort of small leak, but everything was fine.

I am running a Brenspeed tune and have tried both the 87 and 93 octane. Both tunes give the same pinging sounds at the same RPMs.

On a side note, I ran my SLP LM with the H pipe for about two days, crazy loud! Now with Flowmaster American Thunders it is very nice.

Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/64080/E9259526F40B4948A3086CA4C1F5807F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-16-2007, 11:15 AM
goharv

Default RE: O/R H Pipe and a new ping sound

bump... any of you running an O/R experience this?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:42 AM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

I haven't heard what you are describing with mine.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:57 AM
tritonpwrd
2nd Gear Member

I installed mine over the weekend and it sounded like a hissing orclicking sound coming from the front when you first start accelerating. I checked everything out and there where no leaks present, so I guess its normal engine noise without the cats. I put the factory catted pipe back in cause I didnt like the hissing sound it made, it sound like an old car. Also it was way too loud with the magnaflow magnapacks. After putting the cats back on, the magnapacks sound like stock haha
Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 PM
goharv

Thanks! It sounds like you heard the same thing I am hearing, I emailed Brenspeed just in case, but it is more of a clicking sound. I love the sound of mine with the pipe and AT Flowmasters. I had the SLP LM on for a day or so and it sounded like I was at Talladega while accelerating. Love the sound, but I am sure the people in my apartment complex wouldn't.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:38 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

I hearall kindsof stuff coming from the engine.

Sans the cats, you can definitely hear the tinny sounds of the exhaust ports. But, nothing sounds strange or alarming to me.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:59 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

tritonpwrd - I have the kooks long tubes and magnapacks coming from the side its pretty loud now but i was thinkin it was going to be way too much cabin noise ... is that what you found? Ive rode in a car with magnapacks from the back and theres a lot less cabin noise than in mine ... i guess because the exhaust is about three feet from my head but from the outside they both sounded the same this was before my kooks longtubes. I want that mean sound but i dotn want it ridiculously loud
Old 05-16-2007, 06:11 PM
tritonpwrd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteStallion06

tritonpwrd - I have the kooks long tubes and magnapacks coming from the side its pretty loud now but i was thinkin it was going to be way too much cabin noise ... is that what you found? Ive rode in a car with magnapacks from the back and theres a lot less cabin noise than in mine ... i guess because the exhaust is about three feet from my head but from the outside they both sounded the same this was before my kooks longtubes. I want that mean sound but i dotn want it ridiculously loud
I love the sound of a loud exhaust but for me I think it was too loud in the cabin for everyday driving. Maybe if it wasnt for that "clicking-hissing" sound at start off I would have left them a little longer but probably wouldhave removed them anyways. When I get the chance Im gonna put the stock exhaust back on with the offroad pipe to see how that sounds. But the install of the midpipe is very quickly done and it does sound good with the magnapacks just toooooo loud inside the cabin and it has a little trumpeting.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:44 PM
goharv

Between my SLP install and Flowmaster install I ran the stock mufflers with the o/r h. Personally I really liked the sound, but I had already ordered the Flows, and now think they sound even better. The stocks had a deeper sound than before and had no trumpeting.