Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided hose kit? Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Braided hose kit? Covers?

also wondering cost.. and i am unsure how to attatch the real fittings other wise, i will just get the fake, hose clap covered ones... and lastly... is the steel braid hose, just a cover over the OEM hose, or is it an actuall replacement..

i htink this is a must do mod, it really cleans up the engine..
but the price hopefully isnt too bad..

-GTstang
Old 05-15-2007, 01:17 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Well, IMO the sleeve covers look like crap. I think it's very easy to tell the differenqce between sleeve covers and true braided hoses. The ones in the pics above are real SS braided hoses (replacement hose to the OEM ones). It's a super easy mod to do. The fittings are an aluminum piece in different colors which have a hoseclamp inside, so basically the hose clamp is what you're putting on each braided hose.

The only hose that took a little bit of work is the drivers side that goes to the valve cover. What most people have done is either pulled off the ends from the OEM hose or cut them off and insert them into the braided hose. It's easier to use the OEM fittings to ensure a tight fit with those connections without having to bend the hose. My complete kit ran around $130 from Autozone a year ago. However, I see prices are a bit cheaper at Summit now.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:13 PM
pnandy
2nd Gear Member

does anyone have pictures of Braided sleeves, (covers) thanks for the help in advance Also how hard of a project is this?time consuming?
Old 05-15-2007, 07:26 PM
brandon97
1st Gear Member

scramblr-your engine looks great my man!! I would love to do this as well....how would you rate this project for a newbie working on engines? Is there anything that we can hurt? I'm assuming some of these fuel lines have fuel in them or only when the car is running....can you tell I'm new at this? But with all my mods so far, I have done them ALL myself and very proud of all of them (stripes, corsa AB's, fuel rail covers/plenum cover, hood scoop install, etc....). Any advice or to tell me to run to the local performance shop for install would be very helpful.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

This is a super easy mod. These are all vacumm hoses...zero fluids except for the radiator overflow hose which does not really have any fluid in it when the engine is cold. If you look at your bay and check out these hoses, you'll see they're very easy to replace. The hardest part is taking off both fittings on the drivers side hose that goes into the valve cover. I know a few guys that where able to pull the fittings out, I just cut them right where they end and slipped them into the new hose. Aside from that it's just a matter of measuring a couple of times and cutting the braided hoses with a dremel or hacksaw. I did it last summer so I don't really remember how long it took me. Probably just a couple of hours if that.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment!!! :-)
Old 05-15-2007, 08:11 PM
pnandy
2nd Gear Member

Cool sounds good probably give it a try this summer. How many fittings did you have to buyex. How many of eachsize ? thanks Also oes anyone have pictures of there engine bay with braided lines i feel like i've seen one with a bigger braided hose on the pasenger side
Old 05-15-2007, 08:23 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pnandy

Cool sounds good probably give it a try this summer. How many fittings did you have to buyex. How many of eachsize ? thanks Also oes anyone have pictures of there engine bay with braided lines i feel like i've seen one with a bigger braided hose on the pasenger side
See my post above for the sizes. It's a total of six hoses, so 6 sets of fittings corresponding to the hose sizes listed. I seen a few people replace the radiator hoses with braided ones, so that's probably what you saw as a bigger hose.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:48 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

when you purchased the kit at autozone, was it all like.. together.. and did they have to order it for you, or was it in the store...

thanks
-GTstang
Old 05-15-2007, 11:31 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

is this similar to the kit from autozone, or summit.. the only thing i am unsure about, is the fact that the braided hose is roled up like that, wont it leavea crease where it was folded, and not look right...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Steel...19388664QQrdZ1

Old 05-16-2007, 12:13 AM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

I have the sleeve kit from Spectre (from Jegs). I really don't like it all that well and will probably upgrade someday. There is a photo on my website that is somewhat visible.

Quick Reply: Braided hose kit? Covers?