Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best & Worst Cars Study - Safety

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:04 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Default Best & Worst Cars Study - Safety

Hey everyone! So I see a lot of guys on here that are on the hunt for a new car and ask about the Mustang's safety and reliability. Normally, because they are considering the safety of their wife, girlfriend and children. Some of them ask about other cars in comparison. I saw this article today and thought it may help some get a better idea/perspective. These ratings are only based on 2001-2004 model year vehicles. So our S197 Mustang is not in count, but rather the New Edge. There are two different lists: Lowest Rates of Driver Death Vehicles and the Highest Rates of Driver Death Vehicles. Unfortunately, Mustang showed up on the end of the highest list. Which isn't too bad...I read somewhere that the S197 have improved on safety though. I'm pasting everything in this posting so you don't have to click a separate link. I hope this helps out anyone looking for a new car based on safety ratings. Don't count out the Mustang in your decision

There is a significant difference in the driver fatality rate among vehicles, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. A recent IIHS report on driver deaths, in vehicle crashes for the 2001-2004 model years or calendar years 2002-2005, reveals that the average death rate was 79 per million registered vehicle years. Some models had twice that fatality rate, while others had significantly lower rates. Overall, the death rate has continued to improve over time and is about 30-percent less than it was 10 years ago.
Care should be taken when evaluating this data because there are driver factors (such as demographics and region) that might greatly affect the fatality rates per model. We believe models that appeal to a more careful driver tend to have a lower fatality rate than those that attract a more risk-prone driver.
Each model's average death rate per million registered vehicle years represents the reported number of driver deaths divided by the model's number of registered years. For example, two vehicles each registered for 12 months would equal two vehicle years.
Results from the IIHS study show that vehicle weight and size factor into the death rate. Generally, the smallest, lightest vehicles have the highest fatality rates in crashes. None of the 15 vehicles on the lowest-fatality list are small, while 11 of 16 on the highest list are small.
Midsized and very large luxury vehicles have the lowest death rates among vehicle types. The data shows that heavy cars are generally safer. But in some cases, bigger isn't necessarily safer.
The IIHS notes that there is a correlation between accidents and testing, as there is between vehicle size and weight and fatality rates. For example, the 2001 Ford F-150was one of the worst performers in the IIHS frontal crash tests. It was redesigned in 2004; the crash test results improved dramatically and the death rate dropped by half.

Lowest rates of driver death
Fewer than 20 driver deaths per million registered vehicle years for 2001-2004 model year.

Make & Model - Rates per million

Chevrolet Astro

Infiniti G35

BMW 7 Series

Toyota 4Runner

Audi A4/S4 quattro

Mercedes Benz E-Class

Toyota Highlander

Mercedes-Benz M-Class

Toyota Sienna

Honda Odyssey

Lexus ES330

Lexus RX330

Toyota Sequoia

Honda Pilot

BMW X5

[align=left]Highest rates of driver death
More than 140 driver deaths per million registered vehicle years for 2001-2004 model year.[/align]
[align=left]Make & Model - Rates per million[/align]
Chevrolet Blazer (2 door, 2WD)

Acura RSX

Nissan 350Z

Kia Spectra (hatchback)

Pontiac Sunfire

Kia Rio

Chevrolet Cavalier (2 door)

Mitsubishi Eclipse

Dodge Neon

Pontiac Grand Am (2 door)

Chevrolet Cavalier (4 door)

Ford Mustang

- MSN News
Old 05-15-2007, 02:14 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Best & Worst Cars Study - Safety

I'm sure this has more to do with age than actual car safety. The Mustang has plenty of cheap horsepower that intrigues a younger buyer. Youth + HP= hey ya'll, watch this! And before anyone gets bent out of shape, I mean the "majority". I know there are younger drivers who are responsible and older drivers who aren't, but we're talking statistics here.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:38 PM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

This means nothing.....take a look at the Infinity G35, and the Nissan 350Z.....essentially the same car, but one is at the top, and the other at the bottom.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:38 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: unsocbl

I'm sure this has more to do with age than actual car safety. The Mustang has plenty of cheap horsepower that intrigues a younger buyer. Youth + HP= hey ya'll, watch this! And before anyone gets bent out of shape, I mean the "majority". I know there are younger drivers who are responsible and older drivers who aren't, but we're talking statistics here.
Oh I completely agree with you! It even mentioned in the article that readers should take into consideration the driver irresponsibility and weather conditions may have played a factor. Most people, young or old, will drive a car irresponsibily to show off or to have fun. In many cases, it was the driver who was unsafe, not the car. But I do have a friend that recently got into an accident with her Chevrolet Blazer just like the one mentioned in the article. She was driving to school on the freeway and all of a sudden the left rear tire blew out. She didn't try slamming on the brake or swirve. Instead, she let of the gasfor a minute, downshifted and slowly steered to pullto the side. In a quick second theSUVfishtailed and a flipped...rolled off the freeway 3 times. It's totalled, she only had burn on herchestand they said if she wasn't wearing her seatbelt, she would have died.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:46 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Instead, she let of the gasfor a minute, downshifted and slowly steered to pullto the side. In a quick second theSUVfishtailed and a flipped...rolled off the freeway 3 times. It's totalled, she only had burn on herchestand they said if she wasn't wearing her seatbelt, she would have died.
Ouch!! At least she's okay. A lot of the SUV's are scary. I kind of like my butt on the ground!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:49 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: unsocbl

Instead, she let of the gasfor a minute, downshifted and slowly steered to pullto the side. In a quick second theSUVfishtailed and a flipped...rolled off the freeway 3 times. It's totalled, she only had burn on herchestand they said if she wasn't wearing her seatbelt, she would have died.
Ouch!! At least she's okay. A lot of the SUV's are scary. I kind of like my butt on the ground!
Yes, she's doing good thank goodness. But I agree, I would like to have an SUV/truck in the future for vacation etc. but I feel safer and like I have more control in this car.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:40 PM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gatkins94

This means nothing.....take a look at the Infinity G35, and the Nissan 350Z.....essentially the same car, but one is at the top, and the other at the bottom.
that has to do with the clientele that buys the car. the Z is cheaper and like it was previously mentioned, it will attract a somewhat younger audience. while the g35, basically the same car with 'upgraded' badging and geared more towards luxury will attract the older audience.

and we all know that these young guys and gals in these high powered relatively cheap sports cars are going to have this 'flashy' , 'look at me' attitude.

acura rsx is towards the top because you got these idiots thinking they're invinceable and are driving a ferrari.

edit, on the rsx forums you wouldn't believe how many of these idiots crash there car. seems like every other day it's another dude with a crashed car thread.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:18 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaded seconds

that has to do with the clientele that buys the car. the Z is cheaper and like it was previously mentioned, it will attract a somewhat younger audience. while the g35, basically the same car with 'upgraded' badging and geared more towards luxury will attract the older audience.

and we all know that these young guys and gals in these high powered relatively cheap sports cars are going to have this 'flashy' , 'look at me' attitude.

acura rsx is towards the top because you got these idiots thinking they're invinceable and are driving a ferrari.

edit, on the rsx forums you wouldn't believe how many of these idiots crash there car. seems like every other day it's another dude with a crashed car thread.
Might this contribute to the reason for Acura discontinuing the RSX?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:39 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

You omitted one important factor. The years surveid for the Mustang only went up to 2004.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:58 PM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

ORIGINAL: jaded seconds

Might this contribute to the reason for Acura discontinuing the RSX?
lol, looks that way. but nah. well actually in a way maybe. maybe they don't want these stupid drivers in rsx's to tarnish the acura image since they're tryingto move up higher in brand prestige to compete against lexus, infiniti, and bmw.read an article thatthey don't want any car of theresto be under 30k in there line up.

acura's baser rsx is 19k. it's there only car that starts out under 20k.while all others are 30k+ cars. also the release of the newcivic si had a part to play in it too. anyways there rsx type-s is a totalrip off imo. 24-25k brand new. used you can get it for a good price. but brand new, there are so much better brand newcars imo in that price range (mustang gt, 350z,wrx,etc..) like i tell my gf 'you're precious lil type-s is in the ballpark area of a mustang gt and 350z, same price... 100 more horses. lol' ............. makes her mad.honda/acura's pricing is screwy.

Quick Reply: Best & Worst Cars Study - Safety