Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, do we like oiled air filters? Can I change to a dry one w/o affecting tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:02 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default So, do we like oiled air filters? Can I change to a dry one w/o affecting tune?

Ok.. I don't like using an air filter on my JLT CAI that requires oil on it... Does not seem safe, and it could mess up the MAF.

I know some exist that are good enough that they don't require any oiling... If I use one of these then would it mess up the tune made for the JLT? I would doubt it.

But, first of all, are oiled filters bad in the first place?
Old 05-15-2007, 03:11 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: So, do we like oiled air filters? Can I change to a dry one w/o affecting tune?

I once bought an OEM type KN air filter for my old F 150. It was heavily laden with oil and fouled up the MAF sensor. I spent some time with alcohol and Q tips cleaning off the little wires. I used the KN filter for target practice later that day with my 12 gauge. It didn't "last a lifetime."
Old 05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: So, do we like oiled air filters? Can I change to a dry one w/o affecting tune?

I can't find the American Sales office for this company
but they sell paper cone filtrers for the JLT II, and C&L intakes
http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/jetexfilters.php

Old 05-16-2007, 01:07 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

It doesn't say, but I get the impression that that filter is oiled. I've used oiled filters of one kind or another on all three of my Mustangs, and it never ocurrred to me that it could fowl up the MAF sensor. Is that common? I'm passively shopping for a CAI at the moment, and that might influence my decision.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:12 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I've heard if its too heavily oiled there could be a prob... But its hard to tell which ones need oil and which ones don't.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:17 AM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

Too much oil = oil on mass air flow sesor which = bad day. If done properly oiled filters work great.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:55 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

The oil blocks smaller particles from getting thru. If the air filter element is not oiled and not incased in some type of housing I think that would be a bigger problem in the long run. I have used K&N for years in all cars and reoiled the filter element after each cleaning and never had a problem. Possibly user error?! JMO
Old 05-16-2007, 02:32 AM
frdfrst
2nd Gear Member

proven fact:don't oil them,the dirtied the better.shake them out once a month or so if you live where it's dusty.they tend to work better as they get dirty.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:07 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Can anyone with a JLT comment on if that filter needs to be oiled in the first place? I oiled mine but the instructions didn't mention oiling...
Old 05-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

I can't find the American Sales office for this company
but they sell paper cone filtrers for the JLT II, and C&L intakes
http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/jetexfilters.php

http://www.hstar.net/jetex/index.html Phone numbers and emails are listed

Quick Reply: So, do we like oiled air filters? Can I change to a dry one w/o affecting tune?