Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom vs. Canned Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:42 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Custom vs. Canned Tune

Personally, a canned tune works for many and you have some adjustability and a dyno tune is specific for your car and the tuner comes with it so you can choose between the tunes that the tuner placed. I prefer the latter done by an experienced tuner and one that specifically specializes in mustangs. JMO
Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Will I still see these amazing improvements everyone is seeing if I stick with the canned C&L tune?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:09 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

If you order it from brenspeed or something like that, yes. If you are just buying a tuner and doing it yourself, most likely not. You wont notice the throttle response differences or anything of that sort. If you order it from Brenspeed it's only like $40 more with 3 tunes in it, much better then the tuner itself.

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

Will I still see these amazing improvements everyone is seeing if I stick with the canned C&L tune?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:16 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I ordered a bam@ tune that I got today and, unfortunately, I like the canned JLT tune that came on the predator.

I switched back to the canned tune.

In defense of bam@ it was an 87 tune I ordered from them... but still, the point is sometimes these canned tunes get the job done.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:24 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

I've noticed that members here that bag on mail-order (used for better definition) all have had a dyno tune performed on their cars. And, I'm sure your cars are running at the most optimal level, or at least you hope it is. But, not all of us have the time, luxury, or trust at our disposal. So going with a tune from Doug, Brenspeed,or whomever is the best we can do. If we really want, we can all get a few dyno pulls with A/F readingsand send them to Doug (etc.) for further tweaking if required.

But to say that all mail-order are no good (let's be honest, it's what you really mean), is just ignorant. Doug and others write safe tunes applicable to the majority. Sure, manufacturing tolerances can vary from one batch of engines to the next, but they're all within an acceptable tolerance range. It's this range that our tunes are written for.

Bottom line, can I live without 5 or 10 HP's from a custom dyno tune? Or is this minimal increase worth hundreds of dollars in dynotuningtime? I'll take the mail-order tune for $50. [8D]
Old 05-17-2007, 04:10 AM
FordDude
2nd Gear Member

Every single 4.6L 3valve Mustang engine is different. Adam at ST Motorsports was able to find out through dealing directly with Ford that there is no specific cc flow for the heads on our cars.
Yes I remember you talking about that at the Knott's show. I guess that I need to make it over to http://www.spankintime.com/home.htmland get a "custom tune". What I want for now is a tune for 91 octane, the damn computer that does not let my Mustang decelerate normally, and change the TCS to default in the OFF position. fd
Old 05-17-2007, 10:06 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

I never once said they were crap. I have a dyno tune on my car, but if i didnt have a mustang shop 3 miles away from my house a tune from brenspeed is what i would have. my post above says that somthing like a brenspeed tune will significantly make your car respond and perform better. Not once did i bag on them, i think they are great. The only thing i said was when you talk of a "custom" tune, a dyno tune is what comes to mind. Somthing that is already in the computer and you plug in, a canned tune.

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

I've noticed that members here that bag on mail-order (used for better definition) all have had a dyno tune performed on their cars. And, I'm sure your cars are running at the most optimal level, or at least you hope it is. But, not all of us have the time, luxury, or trust at our disposal. So going with a tune from Doug, Brenspeed,or whomever is the best we can do. If we really want, we can all get a few dyno pulls with A/F readingsand send them to Doug (etc.) for further tweaking if required.

But to say that all mail-order are no good (let's be honest, it's what you really mean), is just ignorant. Doug and others write safe tunes applicable to the majority. Sure, manufacturing tolerances can vary from one batch of engines to the next, but they're all within an acceptable tolerance range. It's this range that our tunes are written for.

Bottom line, can I live without 5 or 10 HP's from a custom dyno tune? Or is this minimal increase worth hundreds of dollars in dynotuningtime? I'll take the mail-order tune for $50. [8D]
Old 05-17-2007, 11:58 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FordDude

What I want for now is a tune for 91 octane, the damn computer that does not let my Mustang decelerate normally, and change the TCS to default in the OFF position. fd
I'm pretty sure no tune can default the TCS to off. Of course, if I'm incorrect, I'm sure someone will point it out.

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

I never once said they were crap. I have a dyno tune on my car, but if i didnt have a mustang shop 3 miles away from my house a tune from brenspeed is what i would have. my post above says that somthing like a brenspeed tune will significantly make your car respond and perform better. Not once did i bag on them, i think they are great. The only thing i said was when you talk of a "custom" tune, a dyno tune is what comes to mind. Somthing that is already in the computer and you plug in, a canned tune.
Easy there Mike! My response was not directed to you. It was a general response directed to all who downgrade mail order tunes.

I think we've already established that a custom dyno tune performed by a knowledgeable tunermay possibly bebetter than a mail order tune. I say this becauseI have read of guys that put theirB-Chips/Brenspeed cars up on the dyno and tuners themselvesadmitted that it's spot on and no further tweaking was required.

As fararguing betweenthe definitions between canned, custom, and dyno, it's all up to personal interpretation and discussing it any further is moot. Can we agree on that?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

I didn't say they were crap either(let's be honest, I'm who you were referring to). I personally wouldn't use one, and I disputed the fact that you are calling them a custom tune. Most, if not all mechanics and tuners consider a custom tune to be one in which all of the operating perameters of the cars ECM have been altered for maximum performancethrough the use of a pc and dyno.They are in no way custom to your specific car. If you're just playing symantics by saying it is custom because it is changed from stock, I would say it's definitely altered, but still not custom. That is no different than ordering the stripes from Baltimore and saying you have custom striping on your car. As far as your earlier statement of "not everyone has the time, luxury, or trust to have a dyno tune done", baloney! (1) If you've got the time to addmods to you caryourself, you have the time, (2) No luxury is needed, there are several dyno tuners around most metropolitan areas in the country(you're in the same general area I am), (3) and you "trust" having a so called custom tune mailed to you??? That makes absolutely no sense at all! I guess I'm not so "trusting" as to only be willing to spend $50 for plug in power on my $27K plus car(stock), and not know if my a/f ratio is even close with the added horsepower, or if it's detonating due to the tune possibly being off. Sure, it "works" now, but how about 50K-70K miles from now(if it lasts that long)? Sorry, but I'd personally rather keep it stock with bolt ons until I could afford to do it right. As they say, you get what you pay for.

FordDude: Yes your TCS can be defaulted off, but I don't think it's the best way to go for all around safety reasons. I have the ability, using my handheld tuner, to permanently turn the TCS off, but also have the ability to turn it on for the times when I may want it, like getting caught out in inclement weather. I keep it turned off all the time, but I also keep my handheld tuner with the car at all times, too. If you have a handheld, by all means turn it off.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:50 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

There is much more to a tune then just air/fuel ratio and shift points (for the auto). Anything you do yourself such as a bama or brenspeed tune i consider a canned tune. A custom tune is going on a dyno, and fine tuning EXACTLY to your car, these are the best way to go as no 2 cars are exactly the same.
+111111111111111 and dont forget climates and elevation..........plays a big part too!!!! [sm=smiley20.gif] Im planning a custom tune for mine later down the road. Got to save up for the $350 expenditure!!!

Quick Reply: Custom vs. Canned Tune