Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

Default transmission fluid change

i want to change my tranny fluid to royal purple synchromax.i'm going to be doing my first tranny fluid change. and i need some pointers.

found these using search, thread - https://mustangforums.com/m_2953436/tm.htm:

"Yep, it's very easy. By 3/8 nuts we mean the drain plugs have a square hole in them, where you can simply stick in a 3/8" ratchet or extention (no socket needed).

It's best to do this right after a drive, that way the fluid is warm and will drain out completely."

and...

"there are two 3/8 nuts on the back of the tranny. one on top side passanger side and the other right on the bottom. you jack up your car so its up even so youcan get under. you take off the top bolt then the bottom so the oil will come out. Then put the bottom one back on and then you need a oil pump of some kind. I used a giant syringe and fill it and a tube went into the hole and then i filled it up. it took 3.2 quarts of atf oil. Hope that helps. "

can i get this giant syringe at a store like advanced auto parts?the way that dudedescribed it wasn't to clear for me, can anyone give me clearer instructions?what's the exact amount ofquarts i'm supposed to put in?anything else i need to watch out for? this will be my first time changing the tranny fluid by myself and not having a shop or the dealer do it.howdifficult isthisto do?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:44 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: transmission fluid change

First of all.. Make sure Synchromax fits Ford specs... Theyll call you on it if you ever have tranny probs. I know RP claims it will work for Ford Mercon but that doesn't mean it actually met specs...

Doing the change is simple. Drain from the 3/8ths hole on the bottom of the tranny. When viewing from the driver's side, there is actually lettering that says "DRAIN" near the drain plug. (Maybe not on every car so who knows).

Drain it completely. Only expect **3** quarts to come out. It holds 6. So yes, you'll need to do a few changes so you're not mixing fluids.

The fill is on the passenger side of the tranny, towards the top. Its another 3/8" plug. Fill up a pump with fluid, stick the tube up there into the hole, and start filling.

DON"T USE A SMALL SYRINGE. Or even a big syringe. It takes forever and can get painful. Pick up the 'Powerbuilt' fluid pump from Checkers, Shragen, or wherever... Its possible more stores carry it or a different version. The point is make sure you get a pump that can hold a good amount as a small syringe may get tiring.

Like I said, you can only do 3 quarts at a time. It holds 6. This means youll need to mix new with old a few times and do the drain and fill a few times. Factory is not synthetic so if you use a synthetic now then you'll want to do a number of drain and fills. I did 4. First two with cheaper synthetic valvoline then the final two with expensive Mobil 1. 4 changes x 3 bottles = On average, $60.

EDIT: I should point out it actually holds a little more than 6, so youll need a little more fluid than just a perfect bottle count.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:49 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the very detailed info, ohnoesaz. is this the pump i should be using??

this is the link:http://www.alltradetools.com/index.h...product_id/778

also like you said, since i'll be mixing old w/ new. and i have to do ita few times.how many miles do you recommenduntil the next time i should change the tranny fluid again?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Now would be a good time to install the Performance Automatic deep pan with dipstick. then you can service it like a normal transmission. i love mine. and no there are not any clearance issues. i'm 2" lowered and it's never hit anything.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:08 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

another question just popped into my head: how tight are the bolts usuallyfrom the factory,will i need a breaker bar to get the bolts off?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:14 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Pertaining to the guy who mentioned installing some sort of pan... I have no clue what you're talking about. Does it have to do with driving at auto? We drive 5spds. Fill me in... Sounds interesting.

As for the bolts, I used a breaker bar for comfort... They aren't that tight. Don't syke yourself out....

As for the pump, it looks like it could work. Keep in mind you dont have an insane amount of space to work with... Buy something big enough to hold at least half of a quart but small enough to handle while you're under the car and fit the tube up into the fill hole.

Again, don't syke yourself out. Its pretty straight forward, unlike an automatic where certain temperatures have to be reached when filling etc etc etc. For a manual its sort of like an oil change...
Old 05-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Drain it completely. Only expect **3** quarts to come out. It holds 6. So yes, you'll need to do a few changes so you're not mixing fluids.

Like I said, you can only do 3 quarts at a time. It holds 6. This means youll need to mix new with old a few times and do the drain and fill a few times. Factory is not synthetic so if you use a synthetic now then you'll want to do a number of drain and fills. I did 4. First two with cheaper synthetic valvoline then the final two with expensive Mobil 1. 4 changes x 3 bottles = On average, $60.

EDIT: I should point out it actually holds a little more than 6, so youll need a little more fluid than just a perfect bottle count.
Not sure where you heard this, but according to the Ford Mustang Factory Service Manual, the total capacity for the TR3650 transmission is 3.0 liters/6.3 pts or approximately 3.2 qts. All the fluid should drainout. You should not have to do multiple changes.

Also, the correct fluid level is 1/2 inch below the fill plug hole. The service manual suggest taking a tie wrap and bending it 90 degrees and inserting it into the fill hole to ascertain the correct fill level. To prevent leaks, the manual also says to apply thread lock and sealer to both the drain plug and fill plug when reinstalling them.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lees07GT

Not sure where you heard this, but according to the Ford Mustang Factory Service Manual, the total capacity for the TR3650 transmission is 3.0 liters/6.3 pts or approximately 3.2 qts. All the fluid should drain out. You should not have to do multiple changes.
What about the fluid in the torque converter?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fourth Horseman

There is no torque converter in a manual transmission.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lees07GT

ORIGINAL: Fourth Horseman

There is no torque converter in a manual transmission.
Eh... sorry, this whole thread I thought he was talking about an automatic. Guess I need to drink my coffee before reading the forums. Sorry.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid change