Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motive or FRPP GEARS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:00 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Motive or FRPP GEARS?

https://mustangforums.com/m_3043943/tm.htm

Old 05-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Spend the extra and get FRPP!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 10:56 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

Ford is the only manufacturer who still Beds there gears. Match the ring and pinion to each other and rotate them at high rpm to make sure of gear whine. Ford only does this on there Ford Racing gears and not on there standard gear sets, (or so I'm told) .
You may get a set from, Wear ever, that match and don't whine, and then, they may whine, But the set from Ford racing have been matched, Now every employee is different and a Friday set of gears may not be the same as a Monday set of gears, If you know what I mean. I bought two sets from Jegs and both whined, I bought 3 sets from Ford Racing and none whine.
By the way, the whine is not really a big deal as far as gear life or anything else. I ran a Pinto with a 9 inch that the gears whined for about 10 years, and it would run 11s , never a rear end problem. The whine is not good to hear , but that’s all it is.
The whine is usually from the end of the gear interface with each surface, as the tooth leaves the bed. Like a tuning fork being hit, about a thousand times.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Not a peep from my gears... FRPP 4.10's from americanmuscle.com
Old 05-17-2007, 11:50 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

That is part ture IMO. They are harder (the motives) to match up properly due to the design of the gear. I know it has the same cut as the FRPP but the FRPP is better choice IMO and get the ones with an "A" in the part number.
ORIGINAL: ALLCHEST

Gear whine is not due to gear brands. It is due to bad installation.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:42 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

FRPP'S, FTW!!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 09:25 AM
THE TRUTH

I have always used ford gears, they are trouble free. What ratio are you going with?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:41 AM
ALLCHEST
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

sorry to disagree...of 5 ford dealers I spoke with, THEY even acknowledge....that the gears they now INSTALL ARE THE NEW FORD RACING GEARS not the Motive gears and here is what was said:
these are the new improved gears for the 8.8 rear end, they have a new cut on the gears, which provide less noise and wear and tear.

Thanks
Harry Van Hise
EH Ford Aftermarket Accessories
this is what was sent to me when I was inquiring about gear installs. this is the 3rd email from the 3rd different Ford dealer...and they all claimed the difference in gears. between the motives and the new ACTUAL FRRP gears. take it for what its worth....

Of course Ford Dealerships will say FRPP gears are better. If you emailed Motive or Richmond they would say their gears were better. I feel more fair advice comes from our fellow members here and it seems that FRPP is the members brand of choice.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:18 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

You obviously don't have motive on your car.

The Motives whine...period - and it has nothing to do with thier 'name' it has to do with how the shim and cut is on the motives.

Search motive gears on any S197 forum and you'll find out real quick FRPP is your only choice. Get them now or get them later - choice is yours.
i do, and they do not whine, you will find motive in a good amount of track cars, its the install, PERIOD, helical cut gears will NOT whine if your installer is smarter then the average monkey, it has nothing to do with "the s197s" "the 31 spline axles" whatever, its your install period

btw richmonds whine because they are straight cut gears
Old 05-18-2007, 07:08 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

sorry to disagree...of 5 ford dealers I spoke with, THEY even acknowledge....that the gears they now INSTALL ARE THE NEW FORD RACING GEARS not the Motive gears and here is what was said:
these are the new improved gears for the 8.8 rear end, they have a new cut on the gears, which provide less noise and wear and tear.

Thanks
Harry Van Hise
EH Ford Aftermarket Accessories
this is what was sent to me when I was inquiring about gear installs. this is the 3rd email from the 3rd different Ford dealer...and they all claimed the difference in gears. between the motives and the new ACTUAL FRRP gears. take it for what its worth....

Of course Ford Dealerships will say FRPP gears are better. If you emailed Motive or Richmond they would say their gears were better. I feel more fair advice comes from our fellow members here and it seems that FRPP is the members brand of choice.
How incorrect you are. For the longest time Ford had a partnership with motive for them to make their gears. all of the ford dealers I spoke with were selling the Motive gears under ford label for years for the same price as the now IMPROVED FRRP Gears. In fact Ford still sells some motive gears. Albeit, in lamens terms your argument should make sense,,,,its logic is flawed as you tried to express as you did. as far as more unbiased responses coming from members....that could be true as well...but not 100% fact either....thats like saying someone with a Saleen supercharger will give you an unbiased opinion on what supercharger to buy, they are more likely to give THEIR BIASED Opinion based on what they have...so both sides of your argument, make sense, but are flawed, Just as you pointed out mine could be considered somewhat flawed as well. overall, I have heard from FORD Dealers....5 speed shops....and 2 local gear heads that the FRRP gears are FAR SUPERIOR to that of the motive. My point to including what the ford dealer replied to me with, was to simply show THEIR explanation as to why the NEW AND IMPROVED FRRP gears are better, which is what someone else (fordfanboy, whose opinion and KNOWLEDGE is tops in my book and allot of other members here) pointed out due to their CUT , less noise and wear and tear aspect. A ford dealer will have NOTHING to gain by pointing that out as they still sell the motive gears as well. They are aware of the problems they have had with the motive gears etc. ...

Quick Reply: Motive or FRPP GEARS?