Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Venture - Producing a S197 Part

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:45 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default New Venture - Producing a S197 Part

I am strongly considering getting into the Mustang parts business.I am looking at one part in particular to meet a specific need for S197 owners, and would eventually become a sponsor here to promote the business.[/align]
How many of you have broken seat lever ***** on their car (on the back of the upper front seat)? Out of four *****, three of mine are broken. Now I could get them replaced by the dealer (either warranty or pay the parts counter dude $35+), but it's the same **** that broke the first time. I figured a new **** was needed.

Given the nature of the part, a better designed plastic **** was more economical than a billet piece. I've gotten the tooling quoted, and have most of my costs determined. I can produce a better **** and easily sell it for less than Ford wants (including shipping costs).

But my concern here is demand - how many of you need a new ****? The cost for tooling is more than the cost for a new S197 Mustang (!!!), and before I drop that kinda a change I'd like to get your opinion on this little venture.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Bill Jr.[/align]
Old 05-17-2007, 03:10 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New Venture - Producing a S197 Part

I don't think there would be a whole lot of demand for seat lever *****... at least I haven't heard of the seat **** breaking problem. I'd save your money.

If anything, your average 'Stang owner (not necessarily the people on this board -- who are FANATICS) would go for more appearance mods or dress up pieces.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:16 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I wish my **** was longer and stronger
Old 05-17-2007, 03:19 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Ive had two S197s and so far I have not experienced issues with the seat lever *****. Just my input.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:30 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

I need my **** polished. How much for that?

Just kidding. To answer your question, I think there would be very little demand for this, since I'd imagine that most Mustang owners don't use their cars to haul around kids, etc. in the back seat. I know I sure don't.

But then again, there's this thread:
https://mustangforums.com/m_3216272/tm.htm
Old 05-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I have had two replaced in my car. The replacement has not broken, but falls off. It is slightly annoying. I am forever putting my 4 year old in and out of the back seat. She's even said, " Dad, it fell off again." I usually try and use the side lever instead of the one on theback of the seat.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:39 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

After the first 1000 sold, the rest is gravy. Do the math. How many s197 were produced? Out of those, how many do you think will break? How many do you think would buy your part instead of the OEM at the stealership? How many would take off their good **** to buy yours? Personally, I would want a little quicker turn around on my coin. There is a need to be sure. Just don't know if there is THAT big a need or want. But then, there is ebay.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:52 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

And you may not be getting a good representation on this forum when trying to forecast potential demand.
Now this is mostly speculation on my part, but from what I've heard/read from folks that have the '****' issue it seems there may be a significant correlation with broken ***** and having kids.
Since this forum is primarily directed at and populated by 'enthusiasts', you may not be getting a full picture.
I.e., the vast majority of Mustang owners aren't enthusiasts, and wouldn't have the first clue about this forum.
They would know about Ebay - which may serve as a good outlet.
Another thing to consider, are these ***** limited to the S197 or are they used on other models (Ford tends to favor universality with stuff like this - like the cheezy plastic dash vents used on everything from the S197, F150 to the GT).
Old 05-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

mine broke
Old 05-17-2007, 03:58 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Props for considering a entreprenurship! I don't think it's the best business specifically based on demand. I haven't had any issues with my seat *****...

But I have had the stupid thing on the side where the seat strap snaps in break off. On both seats! Anyone else have this issue? Should the dealer fix it under warranty? It happend right after I purchased the car.

Quick Reply: New Venture - Producing a S197 Part