Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18 inches vs 19 inches

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:59 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: 18 inches vs 19 inches

Which is heavier the larger tire or the larger rim....IMO the larger rim so more weight to turn and the more HP robbed in the process. Rotating mass is only one consideration and the weight of the rim is the other IMO. Makes sense to me and I tend to agree more with P zero! JMO
ORIGINAL: trailblazer

Actually,the diameter of the 19" is the same as the 17"{about 26.6}. the tire is just smaller on the 19,so rotating mass should not be much different,however,I will be going wider so that will make more mass.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:00 AM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

One says it looks mexican and the other says its rice....both usless opinions and do nothing more than make me hungry...[&:]. Anyway yep the bigger the wheel the harsher the ride. The trade off being that the larger wheel (depending on the style) tends to give the car a more appealing look. This is really a hard call to make for anyone...its really heavily reliant on a person's individual tastes. I run 19s and love them..however I also have a modified suspension with aftermarket shocks...so my ride is comfortable. That being said I dont feel I would be comfortable running 20s. My car is my DD and the roads here arent great.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:18 AM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

I'm more than happy with my 18's.....

Old 05-18-2007, 01:39 AM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

i honestly dont even notice the difference in ride with the 20s...i drive it pretty aggressively so i dont really care about ride in the first place...just wanna hear the engine ..when you're really enjoying your drive you really dont pay attention to ride that much. over bumps and stuff its probably stiffer, but it's not jarring...
Old 05-18-2007, 02:13 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

1+ same for me with my 20's
ORIGINAL: gt7er

i honestly dont even notice the difference in ride with the 20s...i drive it pretty aggressively so i dont really care about ride in the first place...just wanna hear the engine ..when you're really enjoying your drive you really dont pay attention to ride that much. over bumps and stuff its probably stiffer, but it's not jarring...
Old 05-18-2007, 04:44 PM
foghorn2

ORIGINAL: Pantera72

I'm more than happy with my 18's.....

Everyone has different tastes, for example your car looks crosseyed from the front and looks like the rear is pointing up which looks gayish to me. Also the tires bulge between the rim and the edge which looks once again, mexican to me. No offence to mexicans, but this is an American Car.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:57 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

The trade off being that the larger wheel (depending on the style) tends to give the car a more appealing look.
That is if you like looking like a Mexican..... or a rapper on MTV.

No, seriously I disagree that larger rims are more appealing. The 20" rims are a taste thing. I would never ever put them on my car but some people have a fixation that bigger is better.Maybe they ned to get 22" rims then. Everytime I see a Charger with 22" rimsI laugh my *** off. People who are old school like me think that giant rims dont look very good. Those who want a classic muscle car look or are in to the drag race scene tend not to be in the 20" rim club.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:39 PM
racinjason424
1st Gear Member

I went with 20 x 9's, because they suit my taste the best.. I did however notice just a slight lose of acceleration from a dead stop. Very little... But once I was rolling and rowing through the gears it was hardly noticable at all..

The next day I put on my C&L intake and SCT tuner set on full attack and I about dotted my shorts.. That thing really came to life.. Even with the 20's it pulls and pullsand pulls.. Very satisifed with the boys at Evolution performance... Next, the 4.10's will get me rolling a bit quicker..

Most importantly, go with what you think looks best.. Some guys like 22's and the next guy likes 15" Cragars.. I spent a lot of time researching before I bought wheels.. I must have looked at 1000 mustangs with differnet wheel/ tire combos and I was always attracted to the cars with 20's.. Good luck brother..
Old 05-18-2007, 05:44 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

Go with whatever looks the best[&:] to YOU... some people don't like the look of 18's *cough.... me....cough*...lol. My PERSONAL PREFERENCE is that these cars look better with 20's. But thats me ...Honestly, some of those 19's look really good. I thought they were 20's for a sec. If you're worried about ride quality go 19's, but know that 20's will definitely NOT kill your ride quality. It will be a little stiffer of course, but it won't be objectionable at all.

Just my humble opinion[8D].
Old 05-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

It's not the weight everyone is talking about, it's where the weight is. The further the weight is towards the outside of the tire, the harder it is to get them to rotate.

That being said, IMO 18, 19 or 20" wheels look good on this car, depending on the ride height.

Also, the bigger you get, the less choice in tires, especially drag radials, you have. They also cost more and are more sensitive damage from pot holes, curbs or other obstacles.

Bet yet, we will sacrifice alot and take chancesto have something that looks cool.

My vote is for 18's...but I'm biased as it is what I have.

Quick Reply: 18 inches vs 19 inches