Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My take on the best Street FI...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:36 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

Default RE: My take on the best Street FI...

oh, just saw 1/8 mile. MY BAAAAAAAAAAD
Old 05-22-2007, 08:04 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Did you do the installs yourself? If so which one was easiest to install?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:41 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

The KB and whipple are pretty identical install wise with the exception of the GT500 fuel system on the whipple. Hands down the KB was the easiest from the set-ups I have had.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

[quote]ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Well, I now have driven the same car with a Vortech @ 14 psi, a 67mm turbo at 14 psi, a 76mm turbo @ 14 psi and a KB TS @13 psi and here is my humble opinion...

TS hands down the best on the street. I'm not just saying that cause I currently have the TS either.

For the track, I obviously made more power with the turbo but I honestly liked the centrifugal best at the track. I liked being able to leave hard but not under full boost and have the boost kick in with rpm. This made handling the car much easier at the track when I started getting fast. I also think though that the centrifugal was best suited on a manual set-up. I drove the vortech with both and preferred the manual on the street and track.

The turbo was a lot of fun and a great set-up for the 11 psi range but once I exceeded that, it wasn't much fun on the street IMO as it just hit too hard and ran too hot to really do anything on the street. If I was a guy that just liked freeway racing from a 50 roll, then the turbo would have been nice, but I'm not really into that so it wasn't for me.

The TS is a little tricky at the track and I didn't fare so good on my one and only pass. I did a horrible burnout cause the rev limiter is set for 6400 during this break in and I bumped it instantly and rolled out with a terrible burnout. I launched off the brake at about 4000 rpm and spun on the line for about 1/2 second before launching, then spun aagin at the 1-2 shift. I ran a 7.39 with a 1.64 60' @ 94 mph.

Could have done much better but all in all, content with my my first pass in the car learning and trying to baby it. I think at the current 13 psi on pump gas, I can turn a 6.9-7.0 easily when I get some more seat time in the thing.

The difference on the street with the TS is night and day. I do enjoy that you can cruise the car around all day without ever being in boost with no effort and full boost is on tap whenever you desire it.

The driveability, the temps, and the overall performance on the street is hands down better IMO than the centrifi and turbo set-ups on my car.

Now I'm off to put some miles on this thing...[sm=gears.gif]

7.39 1/4 at only 14 psi? uhhh ok? u got a 10 point roll cage in that beast?

my buddy has the stage 2 procharger making more than two times as much boost and also has nos, still wont get under 8 seconds.

something fishy here
[/quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:24 PM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

I think he is talking 1/8 mile...check the MPH!
Old 05-22-2007, 11:58 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

How hard was the install on the Vortech.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:13 AM
carmanwelder
2nd Gear Member

Not trying to defend at all, just trying to understand. Just refering to your postwhich mentioned "go on a cruise". I did get on it quite a few times on the cruise (not the 1/4 though). BTW my speedshop ran their 2.4KB 05 stang, 10 psi, bent (but reshaped) tensioner, incorrect size belt (non KB) working on a Lb or 2, less than 10 psi he started with, and ran a 11.253. Bottom end totally stock. His other mods as follows. Not sure what type of fuel.

Stock Heads
Kooks LT headers, cat x sys , Bassaniaftercat
Factory comp w/Diablosport cal
Pro 5 shifter
centerforce DFX
4:10 gears
Santuff coilover struts QA1 shocks (stock springs R)
Old 05-23-2007, 01:01 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Hey Fordfanboy, have you heard of or have you considered alcohol injection for your setup? I am using the Snow Performance kit on mine and it is incredible. I run nitrous with a 93 octane tune with thier kit. I have the timing advanced another 6 degress above the normal tune. I have absolutely no pre-detonation on pump 91 octane fuel. The advantages are this, Alcohol actually cools your intake charge by no less than 40-50 degrees. The effective octane of your fuel is raised from 91 octane to about 110 octane. The 50/50 mix of methane and distilled water carries additional cooling and oxygen into the engine. All of these combined with a dyno tune cancreate alot more power. And your KB twin screw will run cooler and more efficient. Check it out they have a website. www.snowperformance.net

Old 05-25-2007, 11:48 AM
tsneath
1st Gear Member

I was also thinking about running nitrous with the snow performance kit have you been to the track or have any dyno numbers, I am stuck between this or paxton.