Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your gonna laugh

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Blinkwise
1st Gear Member

Default Your gonna laugh

Im new to driving a manual. I dont wanna hurt my car trying to get it to go fast or anything, so are there any tips you guys could offer as to how to go about shifting the gears fast? or what RPM to shift at when trying to accel quickly?

Again, im a noob sorry but id rather look like an idiot then burn out my clutch or ruin my motor.

Also i realize that there is alot of "feel" and stuff that i will aquire with time, im just wondering basic stuff.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:32 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Your gonna laugh

This should help...

http://www.ehow.com/how_3234_drive-car-with.html

Old 05-18-2007, 06:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Get a raptor shift light. Very easy to install.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:42 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Great post! lol At least you are being honest!!! Gosh, I wish I could help but Im afraid Id hurt more then help because I shift "ballz to the wall" most of the time. Here is how I taught mine......(Im afraid Im going to take a beating on this one from the other members lol)

1st gear, stay in your teens (mph)
2nd gear, stay in your 20s
3rd gear, stay in your 30s
4th gear, stay in your 40s
Anything beyond 50mph you should be in 5th (overdrive)

Dont laugh when you read that because it really does help you get started until you can get a feel for the gears and your rpms!!! It helped my boys and they both learned how to drive in manuals!!
Old 05-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Blinkwise
1st Gear Member

lol yeah ive looked all over the internet for something like that, except for racing or driving fast but i have had none.

I know how to drive a stick now (have had it for like 2 weeks) so i can go anywhere at normal speeds, im just wondering how to do it faster
Old 05-18-2007, 06:45 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

dont rip on the car until you really know how to drive teh stick.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Practice Practice Practice Practice. You won't become a great driver from just reading text. Don't be afraid to try different techniques, don't just stick with one way how to drive it, experiment, get a feel for the car.

But Do you want tips on how to race or something?

Well first things first. Turn TCS OFF. Then Practice your launches on an empty road. I usually rev up to about 3k, then kinda of feather the clutch, Don't dump it, or you'll just spin. Then if you're stock. I would shift at 5800 in first. Then let 2nd go to about 6000. But just Practice Practice Practice .
Old 05-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Blinkwise
1st Gear Member

lol yeah im not gonna be going all out on it anytime soon, i just need to know the basics of it so in my exploration of going faster i dont hurt it.

My friend who drives a stick all the time drove my car when i first got it and he made it go so fast i almost **** myself lol, i had no idea it would go that fast with how i had been driving it, i cant get that kinda speed out of it

He said he would teach me how when we get time sometime, but i wanna make sure hes not hurting my car either
Old 05-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blinkwise

lol yeah im not gonna be going all out on it anytime soon, i just need to know the basics of it so in my exploration of going faster i dont hurt it.

My friend who drives a stick all the time drove my car when i first got it and he made it go so fast i almost **** myself lol, i had no idea it would go that fast with how i had been driving it, i cant get that kinda speed out of it

He said he would teach me how when we get time sometime, but i wanna make sure hes not hurting my car either
Warranty : D

Just kidding. But just go out and drive. You will get better.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:03 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

hey blink, didn't mean to make it sound like you don't know how to drive your car man

Here's another article that may be more what you're looking for...

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ft/index.shtml

Please take the advice from the others, take your time and get a feel for it, it'll come to you.

Quick Reply: Your gonna laugh