Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GEARS INSTALLED - CAR IS A MESS

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 07:18 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

Default GEARS INSTALLED - CAR IS A MESS

I had some gears installed recently. After they were first installed, I had no gear whine at all. Toay, I started getting major gear whine (I meanreally obnoxious)at all RPMs, both accelerating and decellerating.

Not only that, at higher speeds I have this awful sound coming from the car. The closest I can describe it is the sound when someone turns a sink or something on in the next room and you can hear all the water rushing through the pipes in the wall. At first I thought you could only hear this sound from inside the car, but with the windows down as I rolled by a wall, it is definitely audible from outside the car, and coming from the rear.

I managed to get the car home, it seemed to be getting worse and worse as I drive. By the time I limped up mydriveway, it was pretty loud,I mean embarassing loud.

So that is it, the car is obviously f*cked and I imagine dangerous to drive. Looks like I will be getting it towed to my installer. Yay forgears!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:22 PM
PERTANO
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GEARS INSTALLED - CAR IS A MESS

Where are you located? Who did your work? Sorry to hear the bad news, but help everyone else out on who to stay away from.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I'm sorry dude.[&:]
Old 05-18-2007, 07:24 PM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Yeah, that sucks. I paid about $500 to have the dealer install mine, I don't mind paying for peace of mind!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:24 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Sounds like something loosened up. They probably didnt set the backlash right.....most common mistake on gear installs. It WILL cause a horrendous whine.
-P.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:28 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

I did a lot of research and found a place that many people recommended and I was told they install FRPP gears all the time, so I felt pretty good going in to this. It feels like my rear end is about to blow up any minute, I think this problem goes way beyond just gear whine.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:34 PM
PERTANO
2nd Gear Member

You could have sheared some teeth off your ring gear. I destroyed a ring gear once in my Ranchero and the sound was something I'll never forget. Just a metal whine, and grind that was not good. I limped it home and the damn thing locked up on me right as I got in my driveway. It was UGLY!!!! But in the end just made me upgrade to something better.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:39 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

DRAG!!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:41 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Im going to put 4.10 on soon but this is the exactsh!t Im afraidof. My only piece of mind is my friend had his done by a reputable guy here in L.A. and they are working fine. He wants 600 parts and labor FRPP. Does them in 2 hours flat.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:22 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

If you can get under the car (jack stands) see if you can wiggle the pinion flange back & forth, (not turning). if you can your nut may have come loose. If it moves, remove your driveshaft bolts & remove nut & locktite it & put it back on to 150 ft lbs & if should be where it was. That torque shoouldn't crush the sleave any more than it was. It seems weird that it was quiet, that makes me think something loosened up. Good Luck

Quick Reply: GEARS INSTALLED - CAR IS A MESS