Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help a brother out

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:30 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Default RE: help a brother out

Just over 9K miles in 10 months, no issues, although I recently installed Roush rear springs and an Edelbrock adj. panhard rod and now I "notice" the live rear end(makes more clunking noises over rough roads than stock), but it's all worth it in my book. I guess your going by price? Because a person looking for a Mustang GT(at least speaking for myself) wouldn't even consider a Jetta[:'(]or a Bimmer 325[:'(][:'(], living in L.A. there's just so many "yuppies", "metrosexuals" and generally snobby types that dig those particular rides(I'm not homophobic, but VWs are the leading choice of the Gay/Lesbian community, according to several publications, so I wouldn't want to "presumed" additional attention around these parts).
Old 05-20-2007, 01:41 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I'll let you know how it goes but I'm going to weld/fab my OE panhard bar to my BMR adj length. QUIET!!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Nelsta21
1st Gear Member

I have an '05 V8 and it has been a great car. People have mentioned a few things that could be better on the car for those car enthusiasts like louder exhaust, stickier tires. These small upgrades make the car more fun but overall this car comes stock and ready to perform. I think it is a great daily driver. You get the benefits of a fun muscle car, yet the comfort and reliability of a street car. Those that dont use their mustangs as daily drivers are car enthusiasts that have already put a bunch of cash into their ride, and therefore it probably isnt as reliable. If you are looking to buy a car, and dont plan on doing a bunch of mods to try and squeeze horsepower out of it than the mustang is a great value for the price.

I have only a few basic complaints about the car. The first is the seatbelt in my car sucks. It is too far back and runs up against my neck. I have also found that the head lights are pretty weak and they could use a little more juice. My suspension makes some noise and the car does have a loud drive train so if you are looking for a quiet car it may give you more cabin noise than you expect.

Performance wise the car has a great transmission and is fairly agile. It is sloppy around turns but that is too be expected. Of coarse I am comparing to cars like an STI when I say sloppy. The power is enough to keep you satisfied and the best thing about this car is it is so easy to drive. If you get a manual of coarse it likes to be driven at an easy pase, but also just surprises you when you mosh down on the throttle. It is a great choice for someone that is looking for a daily driver that puts a grin on your face.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:45 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

I have an 07 GT vert; the car is fun and I've had no problems.

But these vehicles are plagued by a few issues that are foolish mistakes on Ford's part.

1. Batteries are known to go dead after a few days of idle time in the garage.

2. These cars have a throttle lag that can only be cured with an aftermarket tune.

3. And they are prone to water leaks into the passenger compartment [a big problem]

Ford has known of the water leak issue for months and in fact has swapped out cars for owners with serious problems. It has been rumored here that they are in the process of publishing a technical service bulletin (TSB) to help their dealers service cars when owners complain, but it has now been months and nothing from Ford.

I personally would waituntil Ford stepped up to the plate on this water leak issue before I would buy one [if I did not have one already].

Overall it's a fun car, but it has too many stupid problems in my opinion. I don't see anyone driving it "...125k - 150k of pretty trouble free miles with scheduled maintenance ..." as someone here has said. The quality is not there for that.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:07 AM
celticfutballer

Well, the only reason I was considering the jetta was because it seemed like it would be a lot like the 325 but cheaper and my pop got me hooked on the bimmers. The mustang is something I've wanted since I first saw a shelby that belonged to my mothers friend. Its just that the reputation of fords having issues bothered me, plus I've had three fords before and they all died catostrophically at about 80k. I really want this car but can't shake that feeling.
Then again, i don't think I'd be happy with the jetta in the end. All the issues that were mentioed here seemed like things that aren't to bad, the water leak thing is a little odd tho, but it looked like people found a cure with the dealer but that is a stupid thing that shouldn't happen, if thats the only thing I think I can deal with that.Maybe I'll bring it up to the salesman.

thanks for the info guys. didn't hear anything disasterous so back to the old back and forth about whether or not to buy.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:31 AM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: celticfutballer
... the water leak thing is a little odd tho ...Maybe I'll bring it up to the salesman ...
This would be an excellent way to test your dealer and get a feel for Ford. Ask your salesman about the leak issue - see what he says? Possibly even talk to the service manager.

If both say they have never heard of it or been aware of it [which many members here have been told by Ford dealers] - it will give you feel for Ford before you spent any money.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:01 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

One other issue alot of us seem to be having is a thunk in the right front suspension when going slow over rough pavement. There is a 62 page thread on here about it.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

All I would say is DON'T buy it from a dealer that wouldn't let you test drive the V8. I'd walk right out on them with no doubt left in their pee brain as to why!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:22 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Love my 06, few minor things needed to be done under warranty, nothing big. Some people on here have had some bad problems, but I guess every car does... Honda recalled 600,000 Civics not too long ago. Anyways, like Sherwood said, find a dealer that will let you test drive a GT. Youll fall in love, theyre amazingly fun to drive, comfortable, and overall its a great car.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:19 PM
celticfutballer

Thought I'd throw out an update, I jsut bought an 05 Gt with 13k miles on it friday. Big . . . shiny. . . red . . . loud . . . fast . . . good, I love the hell out of it. Thanks again for all the input.

Quick Reply: help a brother out