Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Mustang vs. the upcoming Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:38 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 06 Mustang vs. the upcoming Camaro?

many who know me, know that I was a chevy man almost my whole life...had camaros up to the one I traded in on my s197...To be honest....I dont care what Chevy comes up with....with exception to my old 1970 camaro ss..... my other camaros were rattle cans by 55,000 miles....I seriously love the fact that I have been saved and converted to FORDism....I love the old school feel of my stang....i love the ride...the ease of modding it and reaping the rewards of each mod....I love the fact that my front fascia doesnt hit every parking curve...ot the fact I can turn my car without concern of brushing the nose through some bushes....I love the fact that with the time and effort and CASH..I have put into my beast..that she is what I want....the new camaro is disappointing in looks....timing, and I am sure price and overall performance when it comes out...as far as the Challenger.....sorry....never been and never will be a mopar guy....so bring on that 09 camaro.....with its launch price well above 35K....I will keep my stang that cost me much less and barely is sniffing 35k with all my mods inc F/I,,,,,
Old 05-21-2007, 12:39 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pxdig

Lets ASSUME that the new camaro keeps the current supposed specs.

Could it take a mustang with a CAI, a good tune, gears, and maybe a modified exhaust ???
allot of factors to consider....whose driving....etc etc..
Old 05-21-2007, 12:46 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Well it doesn't exist yet does it? GM has put development on hold for RWD cars for now so who knows. I am concerned with cars that actually exist. I am sure that if GM does finally get moving on this it, like the last gen Camaro will be a great car but for now it just doesn't matter.
Ford is certainly has the capbility to compete if the Camaro ever does come about. The current mod engine being overhead cam has much less internal friction (more hp per cubic inch) and the S197 chassis is lighter than what GM is planning on using so I have no worries at all that Ford won't be able to compete.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:00 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Personally, I think it's the GTO all over again. That had 100 hp more than the Mustang GT.

I'm sure GM is convinced that styling killed that car and it definitely didn't help. However, I think price slaughtered it. MSRP for the vehicle was $32k. The Mustang was $7k less for the GT.

When you start talking prices over $30k, I don't think you're really selling an affordable muscle car. Plus, you're competeing with used cars that may outclass you, like late model BMW's, Corvettes, etc.

I'm also expecting prices to be at leat $35k for a V8. So, which will true Chevy fans buy...that new Camaro or a used Corvette? Or come up with a few thousand more and get a new Corvette. Nothing is worse than having products from the same company compete aganist each other.

A muscle car needs to have pricing like a middle class sedan, like an...I can't believe I'm saying this...an Accord. Otherwise, it's destined to be a low production model or it will go extinct.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:00 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pxdig

Lets ASSUME that the new camaro keeps the current supposed specs.

Could it take a mustang with a CAI, a good tune, gears, and maybe a modified exhaust ???
yes. with equal drivers it will win. If it keeps the specs that are supposedly what they are going to be (as of now) it will be a 12 sec car off the assembly line on the stock rubber.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:02 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

well in the new transformers movie it will be a saleen 06 against the new camero and we know that the camero wins due to its bumble bee an autobot but it will be a sight to see
Old 05-21-2007, 02:41 AM
Reco

The specs on the Camaro would make it a 30-35k car, that yes, wouldindeed spank a 07 GT. However, Ford could just as easliy make a 30-35k car to compete with it. The one thing that may lure insome of the mass public in my opinion is the IRS. To the "masses" that want a daily driver that is a factor. Having said that, I dont find the live rear axle an issue at all in my daily commute, so meh!

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a..._ford_mustangs

If there is any merit to this article blurb, Chevy and Dodge are a lot more nervous than Ford at the moment. I am begining to see a lot more Chargers around my cityfinally, but only 1 out of12-15 is an SRT-8, and I did see one R/T (twas nice I'll have to admit)in the past 6 months. Stangs on the other hand are more like 1 GT out of 7-8, and4-5s197s per Charger. If they cant find a way to compete at the V6 level, the platform willprobably beshort lived like the GTO.

Why Mustang is making life tough for Chevy and Dodge
[/align]
"The Mustang is cheap to build. And that's causing major headaches for planners at Chevrolet and Dodge as they work on their own, more sophisticated, musclecars. [/align][/align]
Whispers out of Auburn Hills hint DaimlerChrysler couldn't figure out how to price a V-6 Challenger within $5000 of a base Mustang and now won't even bother offering an entry-level model. The problem is the Challenger's platform, which will underpin the next-gen Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, features a more expensive independent rear-suspension setup.[/align]
Dodge marketers figure the Challenger will appeal most to baby boomers who have the money to splash on a well-specified V-8, anyway. But this also limits the car's potential sale and makes the already wafer-thin profit margins even thinner.[/align][align=center][/align][/align]
Chevy faces a similar cost problem with the independent rearend Zeta platform of the new Camaro. The Zeta architecture will be more widely used, helping costs, but insiders admit GM will struggle to get a base V-6 Camaro near $20,000, mainly because the logical engine for the car-the DOHC, 3.6-liter high-feature V-6-ain't cheap, nor is the new six-speed automatic it needs."

[/align]
Old 05-21-2007, 02:50 AM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

the camaro will not compete at the v6 level. base models will get the heavy cam in block 3.9, which does have more power than the 4.0, but is not near as efficient. base price is also slated to be about 25-26k, people are driving off the lots in v6 stangs with leather for 17.

and the biggest killer is it looks like ****
Old 05-21-2007, 03:00 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Yeah, it's looking more and more like the Camaro and Challenger will appeal to people with ca$h, and I'm sure that the markups seen on the '05 GTs(when they first came out) will severely limit the amount of V-8 Camaros we'll initially see(a $50K Camaro anyone?) and the Challenger is already being projected as a "limited" production car(shades of the Plymouth Prowler?). With gas nearing $4.00(who knows what it'llbeat in2009), I'm not so sure that any V-8 powered car can be very popular to the masses.
I am lucky to live very close to work and public transportation is subsidized by my employer should I choose to use it(would help keep the miles down). Not sure if there's a large enough pie for all parties involved to make a profit, at least Ford has a handle on keeping the Mustang affordable with it's use of a less complicated chassis and it's head start in the market place(need to keep it female friendly for sure) could go a long way once the "competitors" debut(if they actually do).
Old 05-21-2007, 03:28 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

This whole argument is purely speculative until GM officially announces what motors it intends to put in the upcoming Camaros........and Ford officially announces what the next gen Mustangs will be packing as well. If Ford sticks with the current chassis and a solid axle, and brings in the new 5.0 DOHC I've heard so much about.......it won't be a slam dunk for the baseline V8 Camaros. They'll already be packing on 150-200 lbs more than the mustang, andmay nothave enough of a HP advantage to eat that extra weight up. I know alot of ppl would like to see the Mustang get an IRS setup.....but I wouldn't. I say save it for the next generation Cobra........or offer it purely as an option.

The Detroit 3 is gonna kill the next musclecar revolution if they start packing all kinds of car mag friendly frills into these new ponies. They should stay what they always were meant to be.............cheap performance for the masses.

Bang for the buck will decide the upcoming pony wars.......not how much HP each car comes up with stock. Look at the GT500.........500hp stock in a mustang. But it seems like everywhere you look, ppl are nothing but disappointed with it.[&:] It won't be any different for the 450+hp Camaro and Challenger models when they finally hit the dealer lots. Mark my words.

Quick Reply: 06 Mustang vs. the upcoming Camaro?