Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Mustang questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 PM
polarfire

Default RE: Buying Mustang questions.

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

8.8" I think, I'm not sure on that one.
All S197 GT's have a 8.8" rear-end, while the S197 V6's have the 7.5" rear.

To the OP: [ul][*]The IUP (Instrument Upgrade Package) is nice, and includes aluminum dash panels and the MyColor dash feature, but that shouldn't kill a deal for you (you can buy various dash panel kits).[*]I like having the side impact airbags on my S197's (they're located on the seats, and cannot be added later).[*]Check to make sure the car has (or doesn't have - your preference) ABS and TCS (traction control system), as those cannot be easily added to the car later.[*]The integrated/activated alarm system is nice. It keeps creeps from reaching in your open window to remove things.[/ul]
Thanks! Thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

On the 8.8 rearend, does it hold up well? Any problems with broken axle shafts (obviously probably not in stock trim but once nitrous or a supercharger is added)? Is it common to upgrade to a 9inch? What rear axle does the Shelby run?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:36 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

The 8.8 holds up pretty well. There are tons of FI people on this site with 500+ hp and still using the stock rearend and axle. The first to go would be the block, then the tranny and your rearend a little farther down the line. I think the most common switch for the ones that do, is to the Detroit Trutrac, but I believe thats an 8.8 as well. To my knowledge, all aftermarket companys (Saleen, Roush, Shelby, etc) run the stock rearend.

To answer your question about which gears people go to, it depends on the plans for the car. Most people who go FI switch to 3.73s and those who stay N/A switch to 4.10s or 4.30s.

The difference between the 500 and the 1000 is, the 1000 has 2, 10" subs in the trunk along with the 2, 8" in the doors. Theyre by no means top of the line... but at least theyre tuned for the box theyre in, so they sound decent and provide some extra bass. Its something you should get if you arent crazy about audio but still want something decent.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:14 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

8.8" I think, I'm not sure on that one.
All S197 GT's have a 8.8" rear-end, while the S197 V6's have the 7.5" rear.

To the OP:
[ul][*]The IUP (Instrument Upgrade Package) is nice, and includes aluminum dash panels and the MyColor dash feature, but that shouldn't kill a deal for you (you can buy various dash panel kits).[*]I like having the side impact airbags on my S197's (they're located on the seats, and cannot be added later).[*]Check to make sure the car has (or doesn't have - your preference) ABS and TCS (traction control system), as those cannot be easily added to the car later. [*]The integrated/activated alarm system is nice. It keeps creeps from reaching in your open window to remove things.[/ul]
All S197 GTs have ABS/TCS, not an option, so you're stuck with it. I've seen plenty of '05 GTs here in SoCal for $19-23K for coupes with less than 25,000 miles on them(many are under 17,000 miles). Although issues with the fuel tank(car being hard to fill with fuel) and various rattling coming from the dash and door panel areas after cars get about 5-6K miles on them is a reality. Some have experienced dead batteries, weather stripping issues(which cause the pass. side window leaks) and the dreaded front suspension "thunking"(this affects all stock suspended GTs). Some '06 & '07 GTs have had rear differential "whine" and "groaning" when making tight turns and is attributed(from what I've read) to improper modifiers in the synthetic lube put in at the factory(some have had LSD replacements under warranty). Looks like you're in the market for a black GT with either charcoal(black) or red leather interior. Most GTs are leather equipped(I've only seen about 4-5 cloth seat GTs since they came out) and this means that they are most likely 'premium" GTs and will more than often have the IUP(which gives additional gauges and MyColor). A lot of people that can't afford to have such a gas guzzler are starting to put their cars up for sale, so there's a deal to be had out there. Although like others have said, better to buy from a mature owner, than a lead-foot youngster(just playing the odds). Best of luck
Old 05-22-2007, 03:34 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

alot of people slap 4.10 gears; but if you want a DD/gas car keep the 3.55's. I have the skr500; its been a pain in the *** but is great when it works (mps are the problem).

Yes; there 8.8

I would also recommend trying to look at a new GT, there always making deals on them. You know; you know your the only owner.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:18 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Cool! it just so happens that I am selling questions! What kind of question would you like to buy? Just Kidding, stick around awhile and read, read, read. Before you know it youll have all your questions answered.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

If you plan on selling the car within 3 years you should get all the important options. Shaker 1000 won't add much, but things like IUP, 3.55 gears & leather will.

What's more important, if you are buying from dealer stock, is that you HAVE to test drive the car! Drive around the neighborhood around the dealership before you stop in looking for real rough roads, speed bumps or humps, or maybe uneven road. Then go on those roads on your test drive. Keep the windows up, to listen for any rattles inside, especially from the dash, then go back with the windows down to listen for any popping or rear axle noise. Let off the gas and hear if there's a difference in the whine from the gears. Do it at both slow and moderate speeds.
Also, be sure to check the engine! Check the brake reservoir- does it have fluid leaking around the top? Most used ones do because they are overfilled and leak.
Best bet is to keep searching for problems have been coming up with the S197 and make a list. The salesman won't know anything about these so have him introduce you to the service advisor who handles Mustangs, if there's such a thing.
Oh and GOOD LUCK!