Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Mustang GT vs Mini Cooper S Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 05:00 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Buying Mustang GT vs Mini Cooper S Thoughts?

ORIGINAL: Leoleo

But it is hard to drive her in "mellow mode" I could neer do it for more then 2-3 mintues. Got to open up that V8. WOW love the sound.
True dat.
I'm finally putting a CAI/ tune in there next month as well as hopefully putting some SLP loudmouths on it.
I suspect my granny-style gas mileage will be taking a steep drop.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:03 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

if you want speed and utility look no further then the mazdaspeed3.

263 hp turbo 4.

starts under $23k.

20/28 mpg

i'd definitely choose that over a mini...

but not my mustang.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

MUSTANG FTW!!! NO QUESTION!! IMHO!!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:24 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

mini has one of the highest resale values. you want front drive supercharged or rear drive oomph? do you need the burble of the v8? i personally prefer the back seat of a mini over the mustang. if you don't believe me try it yourself. areyou gonna race? do you want to put lots of dough into aftermarket parts [either car's probably good for that]?

i don't think you getting a 4 grand discount will help gramps. doesn't make sense that 4 grand fewer dollars in ford's pocket will help him much.

i've had some pretty bad problems with my mustang suspension-wise, although it's not across the board. there are leaks, creaks, groans, whines, dead batteries, etc. that seem way too common with the mustang. i don't know about the reliability issues with the mini, but i'd imagine they are fewer since the car's been around a good bit longer than the S197 mustang and more of the "bugs" are worked out.

if i had to do it again, i'd probably still buy the mustang. it's just got that something about it that other cars lack. it's not just one thing, it's the sound, the presence, the millions of mods you can do. it's fast in a straight line, or tweak it a bit and make it fast on a track. pull a trailer with it. or just leave it the way it is. it's just got soul!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I like both cars, myself...The Mini is a GREAT handling car, and will stick to the ground like glue. However, it doesn't throw you back in the seat when you get on it, not with that supercharger...And if you're looking to seriously go for a Mini, start looking at a John Cooper S Works package. The Cooper S version just doesn't have much oomph to it.

And if you're thinking STRICTLY about gas mileage, remember this:

The Mini Cooper S will require premium gas because of that supercharger. At ~$3.70/gal (at least, here in California) for premium gas, versus ~$3.40/gal for 87 octane that will balance out with the MPG on the Mustang...Are you really saving?

Plus, don't EVER plan on taking 4 people somewhere in the Mini AND expect to get any sort of cargo in the car. The Mustangs may have a small trunk, but the Mini's trunk is basically big enough to hold 1 suitcase full of personal belongings. The back seat is meant more for storage than anything else.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:54 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

I blame these types of post on drug abuse.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:04 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Get a Mini ... it'll help increase the value of my Mustang
Old 05-24-2007, 06:04 PM
blueshawk
1st Gear Member

I wasseriously considering the mini, 350Z and mustang. Very different cars, but all fun to drive. I got the Shelby GT, black, 5 spd. Don't regret it a bit. IMO it is the best looking car ever created! While black is hard to keep clean, nothing looks as good as a black S197 Mustang. I think Ford really nailed the looks with this SE. I like it much better than a Roush or Saleen with the exception of the Parnelli Jones which I also think looks great. The GT500 doesn't looked as good as the Shelby GT IMO.

So while the mini and 350Z have their strengths, they don't look anywhere near as good asa blackmustang.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:06 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Everytime we see one of the Coopers, we call it a clown car because it reminds us of one of those cars the clowns enter the rodeo in. Get the GT. You don't want to be a clown do you?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:10 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

Buy the Mini, anyone that would consider a Mini doesn't deserve a Mustang.
I'm Kidding, God, You people get a life.
Whatever car you like is what you should get.

Quick Reply: Buying Mustang GT vs Mini Cooper S Thoughts?