Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Mustang GT vs Mini Cooper S Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:22 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Buying Mustang GT vs Mini Cooper S Thoughts?

ORIGINAL: 06GTGIRL

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

ORIGINAL: spuddogg

With repect to gas mileage, these brawny V8 300hp mod motors actually do quite well.
Driving in 'mellow' mode, you can expect upwards of ~28mpg (or more) on the highway with ~20-22 around town.
In 'non-mellow' mode she'll drink as much as you can give her (that would, in my mind, rule out the mini right there ).
I keep hearing these stats but I find it VERY hard to believe. I never got more that 22.5 on the freeway, in 5th gear going downhill with a tail wind, and NEVER more that 14.5 in the city, driving like Grandpa. and that was BEFORE being blown. Now it's 13.2 in the city. Haven't been on a trip yet so don't know the highway numbers.
I don't find these hard to believe, I can get 17-20 in town and 25-29 on the highway at 55-60 mph and interstate at 75mph is about 24 mpg
I think you're both right!

When I was stock, I remember getting 100% highway trips that could reach over 25 mpg without much trouble. 29 mpg sounds ambitious, but I live in hilly terrain, so if you live in a flat state, then maybe.

The problem is, I don't drive from on ramp to on ramp. I have to commute in the city to get to my desitation. Even though I was getting "decent" gas mileage on the highway per the computer, I would usually average about 23 mpg, even if I drove it conservatively.

Yeah, you get decent gas mileage on the highway, but idle through four or five lights and it drops like a rock.

Personally, I would also drive the Mazada Speed 3, too.

If it comes down to the Mini or the Mustang, then it depends on what kind of driving you do. If you do a lot of highway driving and don't mind paying for the gas, then get the Mustang.

If you do a lot of urban driving or think gas prices might be a problem for you in the future, then get the Mini. Our Mustangs are great cars, but you're going to find a Mini Cooper easier to park and navigate in tight city streets.

I know it's not exactly the same, but my daily driver is a Ford Focus. So, I shift between the small hatchback to muscle car experience all the time. On the open road the Mustang is just a wonderfully comfortable car. Passing power is tremendous, it's large for a Mustang, but that's ok, I actually prefer the extra size on the highway.

However, compared to my Focus, the Mustang is lousy in the city. It's much harder to get the Mustang around other cars and parking it is a lot more difficult. Power is wasted in heavy urban driving in my opinion. My current commute is 20 to 25 stoplights over about 12 or 13 miles with five lanes on each side. In that environment, I happily drive the Focus.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:01 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going. But just one more point I'd like to add. Seriously, and God forbid, if you are involved in an accident with a Mini-Van or an SUV and you're driving a Mini..........
Old 05-28-2007, 05:08 AM
blkGTconvert04
2nd Gear Member

Get the Stang, I test drove a S2000 a Mini Pooper S (****?) and a 350zzzzzzzzzzzz...... right b4 i bough the GT. The Mustang was more powerful and overall just a fun car to drive.