Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Inlet Pipe VS. Cast Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Vulcan
2nd Gear Member

Default Plastic Inlet Pipe VS. Cast Pipe?

Going to order my pipe and tune today. Going with C&L Pipe w/SCT X-Cal tune. What is the difference in performance between C&L's plastic pipe vs. alum. pipe? And who has which?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Vulcan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Plastic Inlet Pipe VS. Cast Pipe?

Also, on the bottom of thewhite sticker on the drivers side door jam, it says Axle. Under Axle there are two letters (CD ) is this the axle code? I purchased my GT used and not sure what gears are in it.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

If you look on the differential housing there should still be a sticker with the ratio printed on there...thats how I figured out mine's only got 3.31s
Old 05-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Vulcan
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, Joolander got it (3.55) after knowing this I am definately going with 4.10 gears instead of 3.7's
Old 05-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

I've heard some people say that the plastic intake pipes are better at insulating against under-hood heat. Personally, though, I don't think it makes a big difference. I have a plastic intake pipe on my Marauder and a cast one on my Mustang and if there's any difference between the two my seat-o-the-pants-o-meter sure can not tell the difference.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Vista_Blue_GT
2nd Gear Member

cast imo looks alot better...and yes...it will make your air "hotter" going in the motor...but the tune is what gives the intake most of its power

i think the plastic C&L intake is a little bigger than their cast one...

oh...and the cast aluminum one is better if you have nitrous also...because if you get any blow-by (which you shouldnt if your car is tuned right) it will not break as easy as the plastic one is
Old 05-24-2007, 08:43 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Plastic=better price, Polished Aluminum=looks better costs double! Performance difference=negligible
Old 05-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

The plastic tube will hold less heat,but the Alum. pipe is more durable and will last longer.And if you ever plan on running nitrous the Alum. pipe would make a better (more secure) mount for the nozzle.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joolander

If you look on the differential housing there should still be a sticker with the ratio printed on there...thats how I figured out mine's only got 3.31s
off topic, but joolander, if you have a manual it should be 3.55 stock. the autos come with 3.31.

on topic. the plastic pipe will more than likely not melt etc, its lighter and looks good with the textured black, and ofcourse its called "racer" which makes it soo much faster ;-) the metal ofcourse has its upsides as well
Old 05-24-2007, 10:28 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

guys, that is a misnomer that the aluminum pipe holds more heat than the plastic pipe. at the force the air is coming into the car the air temperature in the pipe does not change from the aluminum to plastic...it is not like the aluminum pipe is HEATED....I have had both and noticed no performance difference....as far as the air temp in the inlet being hotter in the aluminum over the plastic, sorry but incorrect.

Quick Reply: Plastic Inlet Pipe VS. Cast Pipe?