Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 04:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

ECU reset at oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 05:58 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ECU reset at oil change?

The dealer here gives oil changes free for life. Not to mention free car washes for life. I finally get something free, and I can't use it. I have a garage and fun cars because I actually get a woodie when its time to perform the maintenance. Sick I know, but I enjoy it just the same.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:02 PM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

I enjoy changing my own oil, plus it gives me a chance to get under the car for a visual inspection as well. There's NO way I'm letting some young kid touch my car. What's it take, 30 minutes start to finish, time well spent for peice of mind. Plus my Stealership wants 79.99 for a Synthetic oil change. I guess my opinion is off topic, sorry, no I have not recently taken my car to the stealership.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:06 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless
..Sick I know, but I enjoy it just the same.
The woodie or the maintenance?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:20 PM
jts
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

The dealer here gives oil changes free for life. Not to mention free car washes for life. I finally get something free, and I can't use it. I have a garage and fun cars because I actually get a woodie when its time to perform the maintenance. Sick I know, but I enjoy it just the same.
I'm with ya there.
Saturday afternoon,get the car on ramps.....turn on garage tunes....
open garage 'fridge,open cold beer....you know the rest
Old 05-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Abom
1st Gear Member

I'm surprised you guys all have problems with dealers and a simple task such as an oil change. I have to say, I have yet to have a problem at the dealer with anything, other than a few years back someone didn't put plastic on my seat and got it all oily, but they did clean that up on their dime.

Maybe it's because I'm in Canada ? I dunno, I'll take mine to the dealership for oil changes, I have no worries about wrong oil or anything like that.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

So...To get back to my original question when I first posted this...

Has anyone else taken their car into the dealership recently, and noticed improved throttle response?
Old 05-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Metal man
2nd Gear Member

Just got my 1st oil change yesterday, first 6 free, and it runs the same as when I took it. 1120 miles
Old 05-25-2007, 09:19 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

Has anyone else taken their car into the dealership recently, and noticed improved throttle response?
They could have reset your computer or uploaded a new strategy code.
Either would have the same effect of resetting the Spanish Oak routine (the adaptive learning part).
If it was a an updated strategy code then most likely you'll see something along the lines of 'Updated PCM' on your receipt.
I reset mine every month or so by doing the ignition on (motor not running), slowly depress gas pedal/slowly release trick every month or so.
It brings back the 'giddyup' but only for a short while (then the spanish oak takes over and adapts to a curve and I'm back to hitting the gas pedal and .5 seconds later the motor revs).
Ah Father's Day can't get here soon enough - that's when I get my CAI/Tuner.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:18 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spuddogg

Either would have the same effect of resetting the Spanish Oak routine (the adaptive learning part).
If it was a an updated strategy code then most likely you'll see something along the lines of 'Updated PCM' on your receipt.
I reset mine every month or so by doing the ignition on (motor not running), slowly depress gas pedal/slowly release trick every month or so.
It brings back the 'giddyup' but only for a short while (then the spanish oak takes over and adapts to a curve and I'm back to hitting the gas pedal and .5 seconds later the motor revs).
This is the precise reason that those of us with tuners (SCT, Diablo, etc.) should be anxious when bringing our cars in to the dealership for warranty service. Most Dealers don't look to see if you've reflashed your PCM with acustom tune. In any case, if you're bringing the car in for any powertrain repair (especially under warranty) its always a good idea to either reflash to original or to have the service department write on the work order "do not modify PCM settings". It's really for your own protection. Let's assume you installed a C&L and SCT tune running 93 octane and one day you get a DTC or the engine just starts acting up. If you take it in for service and the dealer is not aware of the tune, in all likelyhood, when they hook up to their diagnostic, the mechanic (who's following step-by-step instructions out of the Ford Service Manual) will try to fix the problem by re-installing certain factory specs (or a new strategy code)on the PCM and then adjust the mechanicals as required. WOW! Now you've got a really butchered up car; especially because the PCM program is no longer what your handheld tuner believes to be the original factory program - you may no longer be able to restore your program to "original" using your SCT or Diablo. So, if you don't want to reflash your Powertrain Control Module back to original every time you bring your car in for service, don't be timid about finding a dealer who will work on Tuned cars (without hardtiming you about warranty) and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS tell them in no uncertain terms not to mess with your control module codes.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:46 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spuddogg

Well, that could explain why I'm getting such lousy gas mileage on this tank of gas...I don't think I'll be taking the car back to the dealer for any servicing unless it's warranty/recall work.

Quick Reply: ECU reset at oil change?