Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saleen Kit on a V6 &/or Pony Pkg Grill on GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen Kit on a V6 &/or Pony Pkg Grill on GT

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

I keep hearing the gas price arguement..and it's just not valid. A good friend of mine has a V-6 and I have a GT. I get 22 mpg on the highway (and I'm not even done the break-in and have no mods), and he's getting 23.5 (after 10K miles).I have the heavier '07 and3.55's, he has a lighter '06 with 3.31's.

IMO, 1.5 mpg is not a good tradeoff for 90+ Horsepower and almost 1.5 seconds on the 1/4.

As for the grill, I can almost garentee you could find a V-6 owner who would jump at the chance to swap front ends with ya. Everything will bolt right up, no muss, no fuss. Heck, even the dealer may consider doing it to make a "special edition" v-6 mustang he can jack the price up on.
[sm=exactly.gif] Not to mention a couple bolt on's and your milage probably gets better. As far as posing just dont do any badges or emblems, as you can see in my sig I am going with roush body parts for my GT but WILL NOT put anything on the car that says "Roush" unless it's going under the hood.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:13 PM
jaguarxtype

thanks everyone for your input. We never even thougt about talking to the dealer about that or swapping with a v6 owner it makes sense they would jump on that. As for the gas mileage we didnt realise they were that close and now that you mention it either way we would want it in a manual trans. Oh and regarless all badges off no matter what the setup. Thanks again for the help and takin it easy on me for suggesting a v6 with a saleen setup I was prepared for a real bashing. Have a good one all!
Greg & Jeannie
Old 05-27-2007, 05:03 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaguarxtype

Ok Ok - I'm going to get some less than nice comments about this I know. My fiancee and I are getting ready to buy a new Mustang Convertible but we have a problem we dont know if we should get the GT or the V6 pony pkg. Power aside - we both like the pony package grill area, and greatly dislike the GT grill area. We want to have the car setup with the Saleen rear facia, side skirts and hood (NOT the front facia) again we like the pony package grill. I have2 questions. First, will the saleen rear facia and side skirts (with exhaust conversion) bolt up properly to a V6 mustang. (I know the word "poser" comes to mind) I would think they would, the sheet metal should be the same for the most part on the back bumper. Second questions, if we go with the more appropriate GT, does any aftermarket company make a pony package grill that will fit a GT or is there some way to covnert the front to make it fit. We have heard the GT and V6 have different grill sizes. (would changing the front bumper work to make it fit) Your help is appreciated, and grief is expected.
Thanks-
You realize not putting the front Saleen fascia will make for an awkward looking car IMO. The car will look rear-end heavy and if you keep the stock frontV-6 bumper, it'll look even worse. The rear Saleen extension and bumper completely replace the factory bumper, so it won't matter if it's a V-6 or GT.
I am not a fan of the "pony package" grille, it makes the car look like it's wearing glasses.......
Bottom line, it's your choice and money, the complete Saleen conversion kit(with hood) runs about 2.5 grand and figure another $1,500-$2000 to paint & install it, so you're at $4K(which is about the price difference between a GT & V-6). I guess I'm jaded by owning a GT, but buying a V-6 and dumping a ton of cash into it to have "almost GT this and GT that performance" never made sense to me. I know that not everyone can afford to insure a GT, so a V-6 is their only option if they want a Mustang, but you realize that the difference in insurance costs would negate any need to modify a V-6 by going GT in the first place. Shop around for the best rates, you'd be surprised.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:21 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I pay 1080 a year for my GT and 94 f150
Old 05-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

ORIGINAL: jaguarxtype

Ok Ok - I'm going to get some less than nice comments about this I know. My fiancee and I are getting ready to buy a new Mustang Convertible but we have a problem we dont know if we should get the GT or the V6 pony pkg. Power aside - we both like the pony package grill area, and greatly dislike the GT grill area. We want to have the car setup with the Saleen rear facia, side skirts and hood (NOT the front facia) again we like the pony package grill. I have2 questions. First, will the saleen rear facia and side skirts (with exhaust conversion) bolt up properly to a V6 mustang. (I know the word "poser" comes to mind) I would think they would, the sheet metal should be the same for the most part on the back bumper. Second questions, if we go with the more appropriate GT, does any aftermarket company make a pony package grill that will fit a GT or is there some way to covnert the front to make it fit. We have heard the GT and V6 have different grill sizes. (would changing the front bumper work to make it fit) Your help is appreciated, and grief is expected.
Thanks-
You realize not putting the front Saleen fascia will make for an awkward looking car IMO. The car will look rear-end heavy and if you keep the stock frontV-6 bumper, it'll look even worse. The rear Saleen extension and bumper completely replace the factory bumper, so it won't matter if it's a V-6 or GT.
I am not a fan of the "pony package" grille, it makes the car look like it's wearing glasses.......
Bottom line, it's your choice and money, the complete Saleen conversion kit(with hood) runs about 2.5 grand and figure another $1,500-$2000 to paint & install it, so you're at $4K(which is about the price difference between a GT & V-6). I guess I'm jaded by owning a GT, but buying a V-6 and dumping a ton of cash into it to have "almost GT this and GT that performance" never made sense to me. I know that not everyone can afford to insure a GT, so a V-6 is their only option if they want a Mustang, but you realize that the difference in insurance costs would negate any need to modify a V-6 by going GT in the first place. Shop around for the best rates, you'd be surprised.
Actually, it will matter a little bit. One thing to remember is the Saleen rear fascia only works with the Saleen center exhaust, if you opt for the V6 your gonna need to get a Y-Pipe conversion so you can use the dual Saleen exhaust set up. But yeah, I dont really recommend using the whole kit minus the front fascia, the rest of the car will sit much lower than the front and it wont look very good.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

yep about a grand annualy for 03 durango and my 06 gt
Old 05-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

defintely go with the GT, i bought the pony package for the same reason, but it wasnt enough power... so i got a GT and put the corral around the pony... makes it lok better and you get the gut wrenching v8!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48992/43B2276821DD4031A1B2911AA869DFCB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-27-2007, 09:26 PM
jaguarxtype

We agree that something will have to be done with the front end to make it lower. We have been looking into options ie: something to bolt/adhere to stock v6 bumper so we can keep the pony package grill. We like the fact that it looks like its wearing glasses (we both do...lol) We have done more research and taken all of your comments into account and have decided that the GT is the way to go, but that we will have to figure something out to lower the front bumper and keep the pony package grill. Any ideas on bumpers that would keep the stock V6 grill area? We were thinking the 05-07 kit that resembles the 00 cobra R ( I beleive that was the year) but we are afraid it wont flow right with the shape of the 07 stang and saleen package. Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:02 AM
tungstenstang
4th Gear Member

Iwouldnt buy a car just because of some 20 dollar grill insert. Go with theGT put the entire saleen kit on and have the sickest car in your neighborhood. period.