Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok pick one of these speaker sets. (front doors)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Ok pick one of these speaker sets. (front doors)

I'm sure it's the speakers because without a crossover my competition Sub receives virtually no distortion whatsoever. I also attatched some audio equipment and happened to notice a fairly clean signal comming out though both these tests happened to be at my target volume not near the top which I don't like anyway.

Ok so I've narrowed it down to a few different sets:

Infinity Kappa 50.7cs:
Pros:

-Circular Design
-Good Price
-55-25k
-94db
-I-mount for aimable tweeters, that won't bounce off the wheel wells and make me feel like there is a rapper between my legs. (I'd like to feel they are outside my windows)

Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1
Pros:

-Circular Design
-I-mount for aimable tweeters
-Adjustable Crossover
-They have great reviews, espetialy compared to all others, but everyone says they need at least 75 watts of power per side and are power hungry. (notice the 89db in the cons)

Which begs the question, do we have 75 watts per side?

I assume it's close and perhapse over: 500 -200 for 2x8 inch subwoofer (100 each)= 300/4=75 left, right, rear left, rear right..

Cons:
-89db?
-80-23k??? (then again this shouldn't matter per say.. and people say they have great highs)
-Power hungry, amplifying them would be too tedious so that's out of the question.
-Price, less money for other mods.

Infinity Kappa 682.7cf (oval)
Pros:

-The consensu choice.
-Aimable Tweeter
-Good Reviews, good highs.
-Cheepest
-Easiest to mount
-More Money for other mods.
-40-25k
-94db

MB QUART PCE 213 Premium 5.25"
Pros:

-50-32k
-94db
-Has both MB Quart and Premium in the name so you know it must be good.

Cons:
-Almost as expensive as the Infinity Perfects (less money for other mods)
-Difficult to Install.
-Strange 4ohm setup, never seen this on other speakers, not sure if car is wired for it.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:42 PM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

Im not sure that I understand why 4ohms is strange? 4 ohms in stereo is what normal mid speakers run at. Subwoofers at 2 or 4ohms and house speakers at 8ohms. Only time that changes is when you bridge the speakers to mono which cuts the ohm rating in half
Old 05-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

So does it matter how I would wire it, or would I simply connect the speakerwire and power to the crossover and be done with it?

Ha ha I'm a music producer I know good music, I know good sound systems, and I know how to plug a few connectors in, not how electronics work.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:15 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: offrdmania

In all honesty I would do the MB-Quarts. They are a much more efficiant speaker with a higher range. They dont require as much power as the others to show the same results. Instead of just going with the poular vote, try finding out the numbers on each speaker and compare them that way. If you want even more efficiancy you should go with a 6 inch round speaker since oval is less efficiant. This is what I did. I built myself a conversion plate that screwed into the 6x8 opening which allowed me to place the tweet inside of the door instead of having to drill a hole in the door panel. 2 way and 3 way speakers arent very efficiant either. A component set is the way to go, 6 inch mid with a 1 inch tweet... FYI, speakers dont blow from bad quality, low watt range or too many watts; they blow from distortion. Ususally this comes from bad tuning or improper use of equipment
+1 MB Quarts... I used them for my IASCA Contest cars, I have also used Boston Acoustics comps.

ORIGINAL: Legion5
So does it matter how I would wire it, or would I simply connect the speakerwire and power to the crossover and be done with it?

Ha ha I'm a music producer I know good music, I know good sound systems, and I know how to plug a few connectors in, not how electronics work.
you need to get Speaker Wiring Harness from places like Crutchfields,Installer.com or Circuit City

they look like this
http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Metra_Me...hicles_1998_Up

http://www.installer.com/speakerparts/
http://www.installer.com/wires/
Old 05-28-2007, 08:33 PM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

You can buy those harnesses or just snip off the factory plug and crimp on new connectors. It will save you some money. Yeah, just plug it in the way the directions say.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:25 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

So it's irrelevant if it's 4 ohm or 2 ohm? That's going to be my guess. Thanks for the link, 2k05gt definitly getting those.

I know Quartstend togood but I'm looking for highs and Infinity is known for that.Whats your oppinion on Qarts high tones?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

bump
Old 05-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

I am going to throw a monkey wrench in this
..use the MB Quarts up in the doors and get the "add a woofer" system for mid bass down in the doors.
Installtion isa pain but it sounds good!
If you want simpler - Infinity Kappas : )

One of my cars is MB Quart and Eclipse everything.
Other is Kappa everything run off of JBL amps.
A lot of times I like the Kappas better, but the MB Quart is a much more realistic system.

What kind of music are you into?????????
Old 05-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Ah see that's the balance that's important to decide on. Realism vs good sound. On my computer I have a $600 sound system that is nothing but realism and you can play it throught the entire place. It's over 700 watts and great. However I've heard quite a few sound systems with the same songs I play here and they sound much better, but are completly unrealistic.

For example very few songs I play here tend to rattle the tables 50 cent seems to be the only one and that's with a 15 inch sub. Very few songs unless played really loud should rattle anything. However the second you flip on most good car audio systems everything starts shaking.

Personally I like realism with a bit of shake, kind of like a spice... If you're trying to find the realism in the system, you'll find the realism, if you're trying to find the club sound in the system it's there too.

Anyway right now I'm leaning towards the Infinity Kappa 50.7cs then the Infinity Perfect 5.1 setup.

The reason I list the 50.7 CS first is because I still don't know how much power our doors have, the reason I list the circular speakers first is because I can dynamat the crap out of the adapter plate and that will make it a very strong setup no matter what because there will be no canceling.

Music I'm into: Little Jon, Franchize Boyz, Tool, Korn, Nelly, Jay-Z, Ying Yang Twins, My Chemical Romance, Akon, G-unit, though that really isn't a very complete list because I go a lot more bysingle songs.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:31 PM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

KAPPAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

I am into David Gray, Pete Yorn, Dave Matthews, etc.
Vocals are AWESOME on the MB Quarts. Layering is spectacular.
Only system I have ever heard that can play ColdPlay's Yellow and not get muddy and drown out the piano. Had Sara McLachlan's christmas CD in it a lot around the Holidays and that was very cool and shows the power of the system. You could hear the piano keys being pressed and the subtle vibrations from the keys, raspyness in her voice etc. Sounded nothing like it with the Kappa system, but the highs were brighter, bass "heavier", etc. Mustang with MB quart was like she was in the car with me and my wife. I dont get that realism with the Kappa.

My Kappas are awesome too. I drive my Saturn with the Kappa system most of the time then I get back into my Mustang and I am dissapointed for a bit until I get used to it again. To most people the Kappas sound better UNTIL you put in a well recorded CD and let them hear the difference.

Recently saw Five for Fighting at a tiny venue. I was standing right beside the stage listening to what was coming out of his mouth and the instruments. (speakers were to our sides). MB Quarts sounded just like what I had heard in person. Kappa system, not so much.

Form having both systems and dropping a small fortune in the Quart system, I think you would be much happier with the Kappas.

I would recommend Eclipse AMPs though. For the price they are very nice.
JBL makes some very good amps as well and are cheaper.
I have tried Kenwood, Pioneer, etc, etc. JBL makes a NICE amp : )
Subs - Eclipse has an "entry" level line. There is nothing entry level about them : )

Quick Reply: Ok pick one of these speaker sets. (front doors)