Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweet @ss Brake Air Ducts

Old 05-29-2007, 03:02 AM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Sweet @ss Brake Air Ducts

Looks awesome!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Glad to hear they work well for you Bro!I was wondering if you were going to road test them that night or not after it rained.I guess the HWY did'nt get hit with the rain?The only down side to this mod is if you go with F.I. and an intercooler it won't work.The intercooler goes rightwhere your tubes are.But Im sure you could re-route them if you looked hard enough.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

that looks like the tubing I used to vent the clothes dryer in the basement.

I'm glad it works...I don't car for the look @ the front end.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Nice! I may do this for the next track event, then pull them off. Looks easy enough
Old 05-29-2007, 04:52 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

It's a nice effort - but don't expect it to last long. That aluminum flex tubing will fall apart very quickly. You need to get some scoops for the front and proper tubing. I would suggest going to ColemanRacing.com and getting the right stuff. How did you attach to the spindle? You need to have it attach so as to keep the air directed at the hat of the rotor. You can find that at QuantumMotorsports.com. Ideally the best kit is from RossMustang.com, but it looks like you're on a tight budget, which is cool. For under $100 and a little engiuity you can set yourself up really sweet. What you have done will work somewhat, but is kinda hoaky lookin and wont last long. "A" for effort though.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

i'm gonna post more pics, and how i did it. it is damn sturdy tho, i must say. it is the stuff they use for dryers. it's semi-flexible alluminum duct hose 3" diameter. i already brought her over 100mph many times since the install, and above 125mph 3 times. solid as can be. i think it looks kinda sweet in person, but i might re-do it to get the front to look more uniform. i had to mess w/ it a lot at first to get it right but now that i know how i can make the front look good. next time i will also most likely spray them black, but like i said, it is kinda neat looking in person.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

i'm gonna post more pics, and how i did it. it is damn sturdy tho, i must say. it is the stuff they use for dryers. it's semi-flexible alluminum duct hose 3" diameter. i already brought her over 100mph many times since the install, and above 125mph 3 times. solid as can be. i think it looks kinda sweet in person, but i might re-do it to get the front to look more uniform. i had to mess w/ it a lot at first to get it right but now that i know how i can make the front look good. next time i will also most likely spray them black, but like i said, it is kinda neat looking in person.
U would use either solid galvanized tubing or Gray PVC/White PVC and paint to match the car. I'm not diggin the dryer look.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:57 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Trust me - you're not the first guy to ever try this. Assuming that you attached it to the spindle like you should have, the constant turning of the wheels will tear the ducts. there is a reason you don't see that material used in brake duct kits. If you want to crawl under the car to replace the stuff all the time - more power to ya, but it's not the right way to do it. If that sort of engineering worked we could all make our own CAI's out of 4" abs from Home Depot as well
Old 05-29-2007, 09:08 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

we shall see if it tears. i left it good and scrunched, so there is plenty of material. its not being stressed at all, and the material is flexible to begin with. i don't believe i'm pushing it beyond its limits, not even close if i had to guess.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:12 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Trust me - it will. Ask me how I know.....

It will tear pretty quick. Without scoops aroundthe entryit works, but nowhere near as well as it could if you did it right. TRUST ME lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sweet @ss Brake Air Ducts