Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polish/Wax

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 04:54 PM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Polish/Wax

So far I have been a big fan of turtle wax ice. I used the paste and it really made my car shine like new. Rain bubbles right up and car looks clean even after it rains. Was very easy to apply also.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:02 PM
FINGT
1st Gear Member

I have used Zaino. It's a great product. Even temperatures above 90, you can wax tha whole car and let the wax dry and after you have finished the car just start polishing. I tried Turtle Wax and with that you could wax in same conditions only 1/4 of the hood and not to let it dry, if you let it dry, wou could see the polishing marks and the finish was really bad. But Zaino, that's easy and great finish.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I think Ice turtle wax sucks.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

I carry some high quality products that work great. www.obsessivedetail.com

All of my polishes,waxes,glazes, and sealants are easy on/easy off with no residue, they can also be used in the direct sunlight. Also check out my customer rides section to see how the products look on different colored vehicles.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:51 PM
JudisStang
2nd Gear Member

Thank you WeedRacer! Appreciate it! I did that this weekend and WOW! The car looked awesome! I think I need to clay bar it tho, it was sitting on another dealers lot for 1/2 year - is clay bar good or a scam? thanks again! judi
Old 06-05-2007, 12:33 AM
HRS PWR

JudisStang- clay bar is excellent! many forum members use it and I highly recommend it!!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:32 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Sorry, I missed this sooner but you can polish with step two again by hand if you want a deeper shine. I think the oils and such in the step 2 is great and on the bottle it says the more you use it the better the results. Any of the steps except the cleaner wax you can use with more than once and the Liquid Gold Class I would use more than once and you don't have to worry about waiting to in between coats for the polish and the wax. Don't let the polish dry out but let the wax totally dry on the car. I usually just wax the entire car first and then remove it after than start again with another coat.Hope it helps Jason
ORIGINAL: Margarita Girl

try using multiple coats of Meguiar's Liquid Gold class in thin coats
I think I will. I have the cleaner wax (step 1) already so that will be tonight. Saturday for the Step 2 polish and Sunday for the Liquid Gold. Can I double up any of these products to squeeze and extra coat in or do I need to wait a day between each?

Thanks!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:15 AM
JudisStang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HRS PWR

JudisStang- clay bar is excellent! many forum members use it and I highly recommend it!!
Thanks so much HRS PWR - appreciate the help! I'll let you know how I make out with it!

Judi
Old 06-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

So everything looked great until the Gold Class. I bought the liquid and applied to the whole car before removing. It was a hot humid day and I waxed in the garage. After removing the wax it looked like finger prints everywhere. I think the wax was not completely dry. I used detail spray and it cleaned it up pretty well.

I'm going to try another coat and wait longer before I take it off.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:52 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

My 2006 Mustang had 14,000 or a few more miles on it when I bought it last October, from (wait for it ... ) Budget Rent-A-Car ! No complaints so far, except ... I let the Budget folks sell me a "Paint Sealant" job. It works. It works too good: they apparently put it on over a million or so water spots (or something; it sat for a week or two on their lot across the street from Miramar Marine Corps Air Station where there are near-continuous jet airplane takeoffs). I didn't see them until quite a bit later.

I just finished a Meguiar's Clay Bar job. Marvelous, amazing what a mess of yellow gunk the clay picked up off the surface, and how smooooth the surface is. But it didn't touch the water spots. So I used Scratch-X. Three or four applications and the water spots in a 6-inch square are almost gone. How many 6-inch squares are there on a Mustang convertible? Too many to be hand-jobbing them, and Scratch-X isn't one of those products recommended for buffer use.

That's one little adventure yet to be concluded. Here's another: I bought Meguair's Gold Class wax; someone gave me Black Magic. Both are touted as easy to apply, easy to wipe off, slick, and long-lasting. They both smell pleasantly non-car-polishy to my nose. So which to use?

What I did was make an imaginary line down the fore-and-aft centerline, and wax one half with Black Magic (right side) and the other with Gold Class. My evaluation: Meguiar's goes on and comes off easier. I can't see a difference in appearance; of course my eyes are trying to abandon me faster than my reflexes.

Too early to say which of the waxes protects better or lasts longer. As for slick, I purposely did one side in each wax, and although I can't tell by touch which is the slicker—both are smoooooth—I reckon when I get out on the road I can expect to determine which one has the least wind resistance, by noting which side of the car goes faster. Or goes farther on a tank of gas ...

I've driven the car just under 3.000 miles in six months. Always garaged when not in use. It might take a while to reach a wax-job's half-life. I'll report back as evidence accrues.