Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 or GT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:02 PM
tammijoe
1st Gear Member

Default RE: V6 or GT?

Hey Lisagt I love my Mustang.
This is my 4th one.
I have owed a 64, 1999,2001...and now the 2005.

Didn't have the 64 for long it was hard to drive, because I had surgery had to sell.
The 1999 and the 2001 were V6 Conv.'s.
OH yeah I forgot I had a 1983 Mustang with a 302 Boss, had to get rid of it the insurance was out of this world then.
That is when I learn to drive a stick.

But the 2005 drives the best.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:57 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Car and Driver tested the V-6 mustang as well as the V-8. The GT w/5spd did 0-60 in 5.1 sec. The V-6 did it in 6.9 sec with the 5 speed auto. The old V-8 GTs (99-04) with the 4 spd autos were .4 seconds behind in the quarter and .2 seconds back in the quarter or something like that but it was really close to the old GT. Also the new 5 speed auto GT according to Motor Trend should hit 60 in 4.8 or 4.9 seconds.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Leseetsa

I am looking for a manual V6... no where to be found! What is it with all the automatic trannys now??
Old 01-14-2005, 08:59 PM
sp3nis
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 2000iav6

from a long ago thread....

ORIGINAL: 2000iav6

Thunder, with all due respect because you know I give it, but DON'T ride in an '05 GT unless you're prepared to throw rocks at your '03. Maybe you won't. I'm just saying be prepped. [sm=boohoo.gif]
I drove, back-to-back, an '04 GT with 200 miles on it and then an '05 GT with 350 miles on it and it was apples and oranges, man. Now, with the mods you have made, yours would probably be faster than an '05, tit for tat. [sm=smiley20.gif] But this '05 was WAAAAAAY faster than the stock '04, had a 6-speed, Shaker 1000 system, etc. [sm=loveeyes.gif] The killer factor was the way the 05 felt. No comparison. The ergonomics of the 05 compared to the 04 made the biggest difference. In our generation, it feels to me like everything is far away: I am 6'1", and I feel like I need to reach for everything - radio, A/C, fan controls yada yada yada, because I need the seat so far back because I'm tall. Not so in the 05. Feels like a cockpit...very snug. The seats are so much more comfortable, lots of leg room, controls are fingertip easy to reach, you feel like you're sitting lower in the car, and the ride is maybe not day and night better, but dawn and noon. To say absolutely NOTHING of the gauge display. Oofdah! The 05's is A LOT better. [sm=trust_me.gif]Steering is more responsive, the handling is better, and the "feel" for the road is much more prevalent. The car lets you know better where you stand with your pavement relations. Now they wanted to deal like a mo fo on the 04, and wouldn't give an inch on the 05. Payments were like $425 on the 04 and close to $600 on the 05 despite havin similar stickers. Makes a difference, but there is no way I would buy the 04 new. I'd wait until I can afford an 05. I would buy a Cobra if I could, though.[sm=tongue.gif]

and he drives a civic...

Ford shouldnt make v6's well at least in the stang.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:27 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Ford shouldnt make v6's well at least in the stang.
[sm=exactly.gif][sm=thanx.gif]. Ford should only have the V8 as a engine for the stang.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:54 PM
al8apex

ORIGINAL: Mannus

I test drove a V6 last week and found it to be a little slugish in the lower gears (automatic). I am going to buy a 05 mustang but I'm not sure as to wich one yet. I'd like a manual transmition I think but I have not seen one yet. The V6 would probible be enuff for me as I am not going to race it or anything but still...

If anyone has taken the V8 out for a spin and the V6? is the differnce enuff to warrent the extra price? Anyone seen anything but automatics?

P.S. the wait on the GT is long where I live or you have to pay up to get it now (something I can't see myself doing) and that V6 was really new (under 5 miles on it so it might have not been drivin enuff yet)
I too had the same concern, trouble was finding a manual in EITHER to test drive

I found a V6 on Dec 23 and was impressed (210 horse you know). 1st and 2nd gear at WOT were more than enough to get in trouble with

the day later a closer dealer got in a concelled order v8 with the manual

although it was nice, it did not seem to be $8k nicer than the V6 IMHO

I then drove a nother V6 manual the day after that and bought it, stripper, no options (I can't stand the look of the spoiler, my PERSONAL preference). I was able to get a Z plan price and free tint, stripe and a $300 rebate on top of that, my price with 8.1% tax out the door was $18,384, actual "buy price (including $300 back) was $17,003.46 which included the tint and the painted stripe & a box full of cleaning stuff.

The 1st & 2nd gear ratios in the V6 5-speed is steeper than the one in the V8, so the gearing is the same or better in the 1st 2 gears on the V8.

I felt the acceleration to be VERY acceptable

(I have sold my 97 M3 BMW and have had V8's in the past, I just feel this 4.0 V6 to be a stout engine)

I will autox it tomorrow (bought new tires yesterday) and let you know how it works in that venue