Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in NC with illegal tint (less than 35%)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:25 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default Anyone in NC with illegal tint (less than 35%)?

Just curious if you've had any problems - tickets, unable to pass inspection, etc. I think 35% isn't dark enough, butI don't want to make my like difficult with illegal tint if they enforce it strictly.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Charlie97L

Default RE: Anyone in NC with illegal tint (less than 35%)?

in my experience, they do in NC. but it can depend on the area. i got pulled over for dirty 35% tint about 15 times in winston-salem, charlotte, greensboro, high point, and R-D, and onceon christmas morning in mt. airy, if that gives you any indication.

yeah. the cops even tried to rig the tint test so it would read as illegal sometimes.

it's not worth it, IMO. i worked with a tint guy at an audio shop for about a year, and he did about 1 illegal tint a day, and about 95% of them came back within a week to get it removed because of a fix it ticket.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:14 PM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

When I first moved here from San Antonio I flunked inspection and had to have my windows retinted. What a hassle...
Old 05-30-2007, 05:32 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

here in cali, the law is 70 and i have 35 on my front. i just roll down my windows when i pull up to a cop before he notices.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:41 PM
RomanPacific
1st Gear Member

I've had 20 on my car for about 6 months now and so far so good. I've passed plenty of cops and sat beside several at lights and none of them paid any attention to me. I live in the Charlotte area.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:18 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

There is a whole section on this subject at http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/
this site is dedicated to Southern Virginia and North Carolina gear heads.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:00 PM
blkGTconvert04
2nd Gear Member

I live in NC, I dont have tint but I see cars with way less than 35%. I see some cars with about 15% and maybe lower i dont know. I have only been down here for almost 3 years and I dont know how long somebody can drive with that tint before being pulled.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:52 PM
thefeelofme

I live in the Triad area, and have 20% tint on my GT. I've never had any problems with it.

Of course, I'm also a police officer in this area, so that helps, as well. I, for one, have not yet pulled anyone for having tint too dark. If the tint is reflective, or of a color that is illegal, that is a different matter, but having it 20% or whatever... if I have it on my car, I won't stop you for having it on your car.

And I'm also surprised by the above poster stating how many times he's been stopped for tint. Tint does give reason to stop a car, but from personal experience, I've never known any of the officers I work with to really go ***** to the wall on writing tinting tickets. Just my experience, it varies from area to area, and officer to officer.

-g.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:51 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I live in Elizabeth City N.C.. I was stopped with my old stang just because of my tint. Upon further insp. they realized that it was legal. I know of a few people here that were pulled just for their tint. I also know some friends with illegal tint that have never been pulled over, and they some how get past the yearly inspections. I guess it's a hit and miss thing.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Doc Holiday
2nd Gear Member

35% 3M Black Chrome installed @ a place on Independence Blvd in Charlotte. Looks darker than 35% no trouble with cops yet. Got pulled over for 80+ in a 55, but he didn't mention the tint. [8D]

Quick Reply: Anyone in NC with illegal tint (less than 35%)?