Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been Away a While . . . Front End Thunk ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:33 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Been Away a While . . . Front End Thunk ?

Ford is a wonderful auto maker. My 30, 40, 55, 60 and 63 Fords were all wonderful and so far with 360 miles my 07 GT is even better!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:41 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8178A

Ford is a wonderful auto maker. My 30, 40, 55, 60 and 63 Fords were all wonderful and so far with 360 miles my 07 GT is even better!
Were you in a coma the last 44 years? That's a big gap 1963 to2007
Old 06-05-2007, 03:59 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bascho

Maybe he just got a lotta miles out of em. I agree with him though. People will beeeatch about any make or model. Even 30 years later, the space shuttle isn't fixed.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:11 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

I went astray for a few years. Forgot to mention my de Tomaso Pantera that has a 351 Cleveland engine that I’ve owned for the last nine years!

Old 06-05-2007, 05:22 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I went astray for a few years. Forgot to mention my de Tomaso Pantera that has a 351 Cleveland engine that I’ve owned for the last nine years!

I sat in a 1972 Pantera once. My size 15 4E feet when side by side could touch all 3 peddles.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Vernon Tull
1st Gear Member

Bascho -- Many, many thanks for this good information. I'll second what others have said: it's great to hear some information from someone on the inside.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

The k-member brace is available to anyone who wants to install it (4R3Z-5025-A). Ford won't release a kit to add it to the 2005-2006 coupe because it was determined that it wasn't needed. The verts have had it since 2005. BuckshotBarry installed one on his coupe.....he can tell you if he's noticed a difference.
I had83 miles on my '07 Pony Package when I put the OEM brace on and have put about 100 miles on since. No thunks before or after. Front suspension feels a little tighter.

Do I regret spending $234 on a brace that is not the true cause of the thunking? NO, not at all.

New Mustangs coupes have the brace, so there must be some advantage.

My dealer scored several brownie points with me on how they handled the replacement brace because I was given the wrong torque specs.

The brace must have some positive effect on preventing the thunk from happening. I would assume the more rigid suspension MAY help keep what ever 2 parts from touchingthat are making the noise and that one of those parts is thestrut mount.

I would buy the brace again

Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 PM
trailblazer

Bascho,very well said and true!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:21 PM
07SGT57
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Buckshot Barry

Remember, there is no rush. The 'chuckle' condition is not unsafe or bad for the car.
To me,this is the best part of the post.I don't thunk yet, but if I didit wouldn't be damaging my car.
Hey Barry. Yeah, I don't have it either.....but I drove in a friends car that did have it and it was annoying. Needless to say the hard part of the fix (the redesign of the part) is complete and the dealers should be getting these parts in the next couple of weeks.

Please....please....please!! If you don't have the issue then don't take your car into the dealer for a fix. Please allow the owners with a real problem get into the dealers and have a part available to them. This is not a recall......not every stang needs the redesigned part. There is nothing unsafe about the one that is already installed on your vehicle.
Yes sir!!! You are a great contribution to this forum!! Thanks for the info. I don't have the thunk noise either but I was afraid that I might hear it someday. Thanks to you, now I know there is a real fix and I can sleep better at night
Old 06-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

The k-member brace is available to anyone who wants to install it (4R3Z-5025-A). Ford won't release a kit to add it to the 2005-2006 coupe because it was determined that it wasn't needed. The verts have had it since 2005. BuckshotBarry installed one on his coupe.....he can tell you if he's noticed a difference.

The upper strut mount (8R3Z-18183-B) is covered under the normal BTB warranty. If you have the "chuckle" condition then that is the part the dealer will order to eliminate the noise.

I'm always happy to help you guys in anyway that I can. I really feel that Ford's biggest problem is customer service. Everyone that works for Ford should be a customer service rep in anyway thatwe can. If a customer feels as though the company cares about their issue and resolving it,then the issue itself is usuallyforgotten.

Toyota isn't killing the domestics because their cars are THAT much better.......it's because they fix the problems so quickly and easily that the customers don't even remember what the problem was. Having a bad service visit or long wait for a simple repair causes long-term damage.
I hate to sound like a dumba$$ but I have three cars and a boat and often have trouble remembering what the warranty coverage periodsare on all of them. My 'Stang is my only Ford at this time, and it's currently in a garage in Chicago whileI'm here in St. Louis and the warranty manual and window sticker are inside it.....and I want to ask this question before I forget all about it. Sooo anyway....

Regarding the bumber-to-bumper warranty that you say will cover this repair....what is the time frame on the BTB? I have an '06 and bought itjust a month before Ford bumped the warrantycoverage periodup to the 5 year deal, and if I remember the details correctly,I *think*myBTB coverage isonly for the first 12 months/12K miles and then drivetrain coverage for 36 months/50K....or something like that. My car currently has something like 14K miles on it, so regarding repairs for this "chuckle" or "thunking" problem.......if that's specifically covered only as part of the12month/12K mile BTB warranty and it'snot considereda safety recall matter, am I correct to assume I'm SOL fora free repair and have to foot the bill myself? If so, roughly what would it cost me to have Ford order that new part and do the repair for me? I know at dealership rates it would be a pricey job, but that particular part isnotsomething I'd want any old Joe repairing for me and would rather leave it in the hands of Ford.

Looking forward to a response....and to echo what everyone else here has said, MANY THANKS to Bascho for the info on this upcoming part. Great info to have, and I for one appreciate him putting his neck out to share it with us.

Quick Reply: Been Away a While . . . Front End Thunk ?