Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

500+ miles and she has become a monster!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:04 AM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

Default 500+ miles and she has become a monster!

Whats up you Motley Crew?

So the pony has 556 miles on her now, I have done a lot of cruising over the weekend.
Well she is noticeably stronger now then in the first 500 miles.
Now I know this might be because of the motor getting broken in, parts are settling in where they want to be and loosing up some, but I was reading about some saying there is a program limiter to keep from producing max power for the first "n" miles.
Some say it is myth and others say it is bull****.
I don’t know about a limiter, but I can tell you for a fact, that at around the 500 mile mark she be NOTICEABLY stronger. [sm=smokin.gif]

What do you all think, the limiter is fact or fiction?

Also I wanted to ask, when I get a new axle back, CAI, and Tune, what kind of HP increase will I be looking at?
Thanks for the help peoples.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:09 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: 500+ miles and she has become a monster!

I think it is fiction but with these computer controlled motors anything is possible.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:26 AM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

It probably is fiction, and it is just the motor loosing up that makes her feel stronger.
But if you think it about it, it might make sense for Ford to dumb it down some on the break-in period to try and minimize some early damage.

All I know is she is stronger now and will be stronger when she is tuned, and that makes me [sm=Awwww.gif]
Old 06-07-2007, 01:36 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

+1

i would also submit, that as you put on miles, you start
feeling like you can push her a little harder, each time
ya drive her. it will all climax at the 1000 mile mark, when
you can freely without hesitation, do the first gear burnout,
you've been waiting for. it's a tradition so don't let us down
[sm=gears.gif]

ORIGINAL: mygt500

I think it is fiction but with these computer controlled motors anything is possible.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:39 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

i also felt the same with my baby
Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 AM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

+1

i would also submit, that as you put on miles, you start
feeling like you can push her a little harder, each time
ya drive her. it will all climax at the 1000 mile mark, when
you can freely without hesitation, do the first gear burnout,
you've been waiting for. it's a tradition so don't let us down
[sm=gears.gif]
Oh I won’t let you down; the time will come, just not yet.
I have been doing well about trying to break her in right.
I drive it easy but I also romp the **** outta it.

Tonight I was turning from the off-ramp onto a street in this little dark area of a street near the house.
It is interesting because the street I was turning on ends right after the highway off ram and there is very little street light, it’s the perfect place to get on it.

Well at the stop I eased into a roll and then romped the hell outta it and turned left, with the traction control on, that crazy bitch’s *** end got about a ¼ of the way out before I let off of it.
I eased off, she straightened out and I romped it again and was gone jamming through the gears.
Man what a feeling, there is nothing like American Muscle, I love it.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:11 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

They do get stronger as things loosen up. But I highly doubt that there is any programmed performance change. 1) The sales force would go ballistic about the "impressiveness" of the test drive being limited. 2) Some beleive that the best way tobreak in a car is to run it all out when new; and 3) I can just see the lawsuits now: "I was getting on the highway with the odometer at 499.9 miles...while safely accelerating up to highway speed, the car hit 500.0 miles and surged forward.....and that's why I rearended Mrs. McGillicutty's minivan, your honor"

D
Old 06-07-2007, 08:22 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

I'm sure they do get stronger. In Car & Driver they do tests on some vehicles, and most of them, no matter what vehicle make or model, 90% of them had a faster 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile at 40,000 miles than brand new. With the axleback exhaust, intake and tune, you'll probably see between 20-30rwhp, just depending on the intake and tuner.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Not sure if this is true for the Mustang so somebody might be able to chime in and correct me, but, many ECU's have a learning capacity. I know that at least BMW and Many Jap cars have this function.

The manufacturers started off using it because the ECU's mapping systems didn't ingest many data reference points (RPM, Inlet pressure, MAF sensor, Crank sensor etc etc) due to memory and CPU restrictions. Therefore it was impossible to house ECU selectable profiles according to driving conditions, the only way was to let the ECU massage one single profile.

'Typical' driving styles are remembered and fueling & timing optimized for efficiency accordingly. Example, If you use your ride in town a lot at low throttle, the program is re-profiled to run leaner with a softer spark angle. Obviously the opposite is true if you only bring the car out to wring it's neck. The changes in Profile are subtle but detectable. It takes around 100km for the profile to change significantly and that, coupled withthe fact that[most] cars are driven with a fairly consistent style anyway,changes are so minor they are oftenimperceptible even to a keen eye/ear.

Chip tuners on these adaptive systems have to both tune the profile and then disable the learning function to protect it.

I learnt this when I had a BMW, I took it to be "Superchipped" as I'd fitted an exhaust and CAI, the guy was very knowledgeable and forthright with info. It was an eye opener for me but made perfect sense. I'd thought I'd imagined the car being sluggish sometimes and quite peppy others, this was invariably in the days following a change in driving styles, like when I'd been for a long high speed run (Gotta love the German Autobahns) or been slugging round the city a lot.

Many exotic/aftermarket ECU's have mutliple profiles which drop into use within microseconds according to throttle versus load useage.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:51 AM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

Marcuskeeler, that is some very interesting info, thanks for sharing.

01SilverGT, thanks for the info.
What CAI do you guys suggest, I will be buying from Brenspeed.
I still can't decide which axlebacks I want eaither, it is so annoying trying to choose.

Thanks All.