Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I let our 15yr old drive on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:30 AM
guydon
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: So I let our 15yr old drive on the highway

good story
Old 06-07-2007, 07:40 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: probinator

You actually did the wrong thing. never stop on the highway for a non emergency. Never stop for someone following behindflashing there headlights. if anything slow down and roll ur window down. never know ur muffler could have fell off. lol. it could have been some crazy guy with a gun.Also Cops are trained never to try and pull someone over with out the proper vehicle or clothing. Next time just call 911 and let them know whats going on but keep driving. If they are off duty and want to make a stop they would make a call in to dispatch,and get a marked cop to stop you. Then speak with you.

But good job on calling 911.
I agree somewhat what you say, but there are alot of plain clothes wearing officers in unmarked SUV's and trucks these days. We have a few here at the Sheriffs Office where I live and I've seen a few in the City aswell. The only thing different is that they wear their badge on their hip so you can see it, but if he's trying to stop you on the freeway or at high speeds, its kinda hard to whip it out and show you. Calling 911 was the right thing to do, but I would have had your daughter pull off the next exit into a parking lot or a non-busy road. Good story indeed though.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:10 AM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

If that cop was off duty and unmarked, I think maybe he needs to get a life. I could see him getting involved and assisting in an actual emergency, butwhat he did you to and your daughter...that's just ridiculous.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:15 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ilmor

If that cop was off duty and unmarked, I think maybe he needs to get a life. I could see him getting involved and assisting in an actual emergency, butwhat he did you to and your daughter...that's just ridiculous.
They are just doing their job, rather it be their day off or not. Being a Police Officer is a 24/7 job, if its busy or something major is happening, than yeah they will get called in. In this situation, he was just pulling them over and gonna give them a warning, most likely because he couldnt give an actual ticket because he was off duty, but he could have called an Officer on duty who could have came and written a ticket.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:05 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

That is a great story. I let our 13 year old drive the GT the day we got home. He has been driving with me out at the fair grounds ond isolated dirt roads around here for 2 years. His speed limit is 30 mph. He does good, something I attribute to all those video games that give him hand-eye coordination. They don't have a driver's Ed program here. I think he already NEEDS to know how to drive by the time he is legal, not learn on the job so to speak. That is how folks get killed. Back when I first started, you could drive when 14 years old.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Nice story. Nice Stang!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I only stop for blue or red lights.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

. Many cops will get mad even irrate but with all the impersonators out there these days you can never tell.
That happened to someone where I live. They pulled someone over and stole their car!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:54 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

As an ex-police officer I can tell you this: This guy is not supposed to be making traffic stops in his civilian car in his civilian clothes while off-duty.
I would never ever stop for anyone on the highway without them having a vehicle with emergency lighting (flashing lights) or being in uniform.
My department would have written this guy up for such action. The fact that she was speeding does not justify him stopping you. She did not pose any iminent danger to him or any other drivers. I personally would write a complaint to his police department stating that this office put you and your daughter at risk on a highway by doing this.
His attitude changed because you called 911 and he knew that he was in a trick bag making stops in his Jeep. I am 100% serious this guy should get dinged by his department for this traffic stop. Was he even in his jurisdiction? Enforcing a traffic violation off duty out of your jurisdiction is very shady action.
I would be talking to his Chief.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Oh and you should let her drive the vert with the S/C. Its just a car, and she will learn to handle the power that way.
I let my sixteen year old son race my 11 second convertible at the track - and he beats my time usually!

Quick Reply: So I let our 15yr old drive on the highway