Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I let our 15yr old drive on the highway

Old 06-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: So I let our 15yr old drive on the highway

If some none cop car was flashing its lights at me, i doubt i'd be pulling over, haha. i'd probably get mad and try to lose him/her
Old 06-08-2007, 08:59 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

haha nice cars!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:05 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05SDI

Thank for all the replies as I have read each of them with an open mind!
I do feel some of the replies are of what YOU or I would have done if WE were actually the one behind the wheeldriving. The biggest thing is, I knew this vehicle has scared my daughter. Knowing my daughter I didn't needfor her to paninc and do something wrong and wreck or what ever! That in its self was why I knew we HAD to stop!

Few things about Alaska, it is remote!!! the WORST place to pull over in a situation like this (had the person been a bad guy)would be away from the highway. At least on the highway there are other motorist cruising buy usually rubbernecking so staying visable was a good idea! Yes we have a consealed weapons carrylaw. (That wouldn't have been the best option at the time) But better than the consealed weapon, In Alaska it is 100% legal to have with you in your car a weapon if it is in plan view OR if it islocked away in trunk or LOCKED glove box. A few places it is illegal to carry a weapon are, a bar, a federal building, and one other place I can't remember right now. Believe me everyone up here knows MOST of us haveguns! Most are just not very open about it! (also I really don't want this to turn into a "guns" thread!)

marcus,
NO! We have 4 daughters, the one pictured is our 18yr old. (not thedaughter this story is about)In another thread she was coming back from someplace she wasn't suppost to be, but she can drive the Black vert when ever she wants (within reason) as long as she puts gas in it. Her 'car' is a restored85 S/B Chevy 4x4 w/ 383. She really likes the verts but she's a truck girl! But she will GLADLY put gas in the vert when she wants to go someplace!!

I still think you did fine. Like you said, your daughter is inexperienced and you called 911. Most criminals don't want you on the phone as you're giving a description of them, what they drive and where you are. I don't agree with what the office did, but that's another debate and from what I can see, wasn't the point of your original post. I was taught to drive the same way but didn't get pulled over and didn't have cruise control to maintain my speed. Plus I was considerably younger as I couldn't reach the pedals.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:02 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ratnacage

ORIGINAL: Eik 10 is still over the speed limit, which is the limit where most police officers will pull you over. And oven at small differences in speeds it can save your life. Would it be worse to hit a tree at 50 mph or 60 mph? And yes, it cancertainly cause a different reaction when something suddenly happens, animals do run across theroad youknow... And the thing with the impersonation of the police officers, they went out of there way to pose as an officer, they had an intent to dupe you into thinking they were safe, they weren't in normal street clothes, trying to stop people for whatever reasons. A procedure for a cop is to protect and serve the community, he protected them by telling them to slow down, limiting possible accidents that could have happened.
You are an idiot.[:'(] It's far riskier to distract a driver on the highway by tailgating (aggressively) and coming along side, have them pull over, further putting them at risk. When you're being pulled over by a legit cruiser at least his lights get everyones attention and most surrounding people slow down and make a conscious effort to put distance between them and the traffic stop. Doing it in a civilian vehicle offers no such protection - you just become a pair of vehicles interfering with traffic flow. Plus when you're getting pulled by a real cop car, you know the procedure - a civilian car with a civilian looking driver trying to pull you over just distracts and is in itself amajorhazard.Not to mention from my point of view, I think anyone trying to pull me over other than real cop car is probably bad news - especially if I wasn't doing anything noteworthy ( if you think +10 on the highway is noteworthy, then you need to get a life).

Plus it looks like your trying to rationalize what an impersonator would do. Like they're some kind of genious that will take all the proper steps to appear as real as possible. NEWS FLASH: most criminals are idiots, unstable, unpredictable,and not necessarily in their right mind, and prone to making errors (ever read about "dumb criminals?"). I'm not willing to take those odds.

If someone is trying to bring to your attention a problem with your car, there are more effective ways of doing it than what is for all appearances being anaggressive driver.

Could also be a troll alert.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:54 AM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

I think he did the right thing...given the circumstances. I mean he jumped on the phone right away. But I agree with the others when they say on our own I would have not pulled over. The story makes me angry at people like that.