Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I let our 15yr old drive on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 04:16 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Default So I let our 15yr old drive on the highway

So heres a little story for you guys and gals.

Last Saturdayafternoon I needed to make a quick 100 mile round trip run. I was going to take the S/C vert and have some fun, but...My 15 yr old daughter asked if she could drive. (she has a learners permit) She has NO freeway driving experience.... I thought, you know this might be as good of time as any to let her drive some distance @ speed.

Anyone got any ideas at this point how this story is going to turn out???

So the start of thetrip in was kind of uneventful but she needed to learn keep checking mirrors and gauging others speed and distance as they continue to change. (something ALL drives should do but some forget lol) As we would come up on slower traffic she look over to me and ask can I pass this person? (note the whole trip was either 2 or 3 lanes ofdivided highway with normal on and off ramp) (sorry NOTHING like you big city guys!! lol) I noticed REAL quick the passenger seat sits WAY to low to be checking for traffic in the left lane! Each time I made her check (always before she had to change her speed before getting to close) to be sure it was clear, blink three times, and change lanes. When she could see both headlights in the rearview mirror again it would be ok to do 3 blinks and change lanes. This seemed to be going well until at some pointit accrued to me that hmm we sure seem to be passingquite a few cars. As we were coming up on one more car she ask "Dad what do I do" with a kind of scared look on her face.(she had this routine down so I was surprised by her question) I asked, what do you mean? With her looking into the rear view mirror, She explains, "The car behind me is flashing its lights and it's like they are going to hit us." (THAT got my attention!) I turn around to see a newer JEEP honestly about 5 ft off our bumper and it headlight just a flashing! I asked my daughter "How fast are you going?" (75mph in a 65 was the correct answer) I told her to let of the gas put her rightblinker on and slow down, and as soon as they back off a bit, SLOWLY apply the brakes and pull onto the shoulder of the road to a stop and put your emergency flashers on. As soon as we werestopped (and the Jeep stops too) I get out and start to go towards the back of our car. The man driving the Jeep was standing behind his door and say. "Sir please remain in your vehicle!" I'm like "Dude, you need to learn to drive why are you flashing you lights at us." Reply from behind the door "Sir, please get back in you car!" I was like "I'm NOT doing anything until I find out what this is about! What do you want?" Reply "Sir, I'm an off duty Police officer!" I laugh, " Opps!, Ok officer I'll be right herein the car." So this plain clothes guy walks up to our driver’sdoor and asks my daughter for diver’s license, registration and proof of insurance. My daughter looks at me and I said, "Excuse me sir, WHO are you exactly?" Really mean,he says he had already informed me as to whom he was! I was like, "I don't care WHOyou say you are, we haven't seen a badge, you’re in plain clothes, and you driving a civilian car! NOW prove you're a damn cop or I dialing 911!" (which I had already done and hit speaker phone) This guy about blew a gasket when we all heard "911 Please state you emergency!" I said, "Ma'am please stand by as I'm NOT for sure if this is an emergency or not.I'm call from my cell phone and told her the area and we may be in a bad situation as some stranger has flagged us down." At this point the cop (yes he was a real cop!) produces a badge and tries to inform the 911 operator what was going on. I then asked the 911 operator to please verify this officers name and badge number before I was willing to hang up. Once I got the OK he seem to be who he said he was I thanked her and apologized for dialing and she replied with "Sir you did EXACTLY the right thing!"

180degree change in this officer’s attitude! When my daughter gave himher permit he looked at her then to me and I replied with, "Yes,this is her first time driving onthe freeway." The look on his face was priceless! He went on to say he had stopped us because we were speeding and he was just going to give us a warning.And whilefollowing her he would have NEVER guessed that she hadn't been driving for a long time! I informed the officer I wouldn't let her drive with the cruise control yet.
His replyafter handing my daughter back her permit was,I have caused you people enough stress for oneday have a niceafternoon and ma'am keep an eye on that speedometer a little moreclosely! I apologized to the officer and he replied with Sir I completely understand you seem to be doing a good job teaching your daughter how to drive as he walked back to his Jeep.

The trip home was a little more exciting, heavy rain, some bozo wanting to race etc.but I’ll save you the pain of reading it….. So I think we will make that trip a few more times letting her drive on the highway!!!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:36 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: So I let our 15yr old drive on the highway

haha good story!

whats that badge on the stangs?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:48 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

That's an awesome story! Thanks for sharing. You did everything correctly. Many would have just done anything the plain clothed guy wanted as he stated he was an off duty cop. I would not have pulled over and driven to the nearest police station and than stopped in front of the station (even if it is 50 miles away for the one I know how to get to). I don't know about where you live but in the Detroit area it is very legal to do that if you dont think it is a real cop. Just abide by all traffic laws and that is totally acceptable. Many cops will get mad even irrate but with all the impersonators out there these days you can never tell. So a 15yr old driver in a stang (right?) driving like someone that has been doing it for a while! Dad must be doing something right![sm=exactly.gif][sm=wootwoot.gif]
Old 06-07-2007, 04:57 AM
josmoe5000
1st Gear Member

I would not have stopped for anyone driving a civilian vehicle. I would have dialed 911 and continued to drive on. When I see a real cop car with a real uniform then I'll stop the car.

But a good story. I'm glad you shared it with us and you had a good outcome.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:01 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

badge looks like alaska to me. man youre lucky, and i hope youre forgiving to ur daughter. my dad would bust my *** so hard, id be hitchin rides for weeks, especially if i was driving one of his rides! your daughters okay in my book, not too much younger than me too....and she can drive a super charged stang![8D]
Old 06-07-2007, 05:04 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

wow i am pretty sure if the cop is off duty he can not really do anything... but w/e. I would have told him to suck it.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:04 AM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

lol good story. but i wouldn't have stopped either, until he pulled along side and flashed the badge. then MAYBE. (but my father is a police officer so i really wouldn't care if an off-duty cop was flashing his badge at me). i think that guy takes his job a little TOO seriously. i guess the police in your area don't get much action. my dad tries at ALL costs to avoid situations where he has to "work" when he is off-duty lol.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:06 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

The badges on the Mustangs are the dealer badges in the shape of the state of Alaska. We thought they were cool so we left them.
Yes we were in the black Mustang as I really didn't want to see what happens when an inexperienced driver gets behind 500+ hp of the yellow Mustang!!! (not ready for that kind of excitement!!)
Believe me at one point in that little stop I actually got a little scared as something didn't seem right, hence the 911 call. Had I have been alone I don't think it would have bothered me so much.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:24 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Emperor,
I'm not to sure I like you thinking that way aboutour 15yr old daughter! .... Now our 18yr old daughter CAN drive the S/C mustang. Oh wait,what did you thinkI was refering to?
Here sheis (when see was 17) theONLY pic with her behind the wheel of the Saleen Supercharged car.
And I've been told I was mean because I wouldn't lether take our S/C vert on prom night OR graduation! I replied with, "Oh bummer you have to settle for a 2006 ConvertibleV6 Mustang! Beats walking or better yethave one of your friends drive you......!"

I agree with you guys about NOT stopping, but I wasn't driving and I wasn't sure of what this clown behind us was capable of in regards to MAKING us stop. I didn't want to get my daughter in that kind of driving situation. Since he was that close to us I had NO idea what else he would do while moving.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:39 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

You actually did the wrong thing. never stop on the highway for a non emergency. Never stop for someone following behindflashing there headlights. if anything slow down and roll ur window down. never know ur muffler could have fell off. lol. it could have been some crazy guy with a gun.Also Cops are trained never to try and pull someone over with out the proper vehicle or clothing. Next time just call 911 and let them know whats going on but keep driving. If they are off duty and want to make a stop they would make a call in to dispatch,and get a marked cop to stop you. Then speak with you.

But good job on calling 911.

Quick Reply: So I let our 15yr old drive on the highway