Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 AUTO GT? Need advice FAST

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:54 PM
MuscleFanatic
1st Gear Member

Default 07 AUTO GT? Need advice FAST

Ok, it turns out I am getting an auto GT instead of a manual. It was either get an auto now, or what 6 + months and save up the difference or w/e and get the manual(Loss of rebates and such). As soon as I drove the GT I was like my sixxer is nothing, I MUST have this car but honestly should I save my money and get the manual or should I just take the auto? Besides parasitic power loss and uncontrolled shift times is an auto really slower then a manual? I know your 1/4 will be faster but if you have two drivers auto/manual and the guy with the stickshift does everything PERFECT he will win. Is it worth holding out for? I have waited 2 yrs for a gt but I dont think I can wait anymore hah. Opinions?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Ringo01
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 07 AUTO GT? Need advice FAST

I would get the auto, as much as I love my manual, it's sometimes nice just to be able to mash the pedal and go. It's a different sort of fun. Just make sure you get a tune for the auto, it makes all the difference.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:59 PM
MuscleFanatic
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ringo01

I would get the auto, as much as I love my manual, it's sometimes nice just to be able to mash the pedal and go. It's a different sort of fun. Just make sure you get a tune for the auto, it makes all the difference.
Im slowly learning more about cars but would a tune help the autos shift points ? I mean its not the end of the world if i cant get a manual, hell I would be happy auto but I dont want to get the GT and be missing out by not getting the manual
Old 06-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

get the auto, it doesnt really make that much of a difference unless you re a real race enthusiest. plus since you never drove manual, just think right when you buy the GT you can go right out and have fun instead of having to learn to drive stick for a week, before you can open her up, or take her on the highway.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:05 PM
MuscleFanatic
1st Gear Member

Well I got a crash course last night in it, its not like I have never ever used a 5-speed, I use to have dirtbikes. Though you do make a point, I rather be able to tear up the roads then worry about easing out of first without hopping
Old 06-07-2007, 07:05 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

IMO, it depends on the type of driving you enjoy -

Plusses for autos: may be easier for heavy traffic, if straight line drag runs are your thing, they work well for that.

My major minuses: Loss of control of downshifts on cornering. And just not quite as much fun.

I say take a deep breath before you pull the trigger on this one.. I know you're chompin at the bit, but if you compromise from what you want, that auto selector is going to remind you every time you get in the car. You've waited this long, why not wait for what you really want? Take some time to make an informed choice of auto vs. manual. Besides, it sounds like they're willing to give you a rebate on an auto.. they want to sell it because they don't sell as fast as a manual, I suspect.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:13 PM
urnamethere
2nd Gear Member

if you are stuck with a decision filp a coin, it always seems to work for me
Old 06-07-2007, 07:15 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

i have to wait a month or 2 for my stang, its 5 speed manual and its gunna be worth the wait, then again i'm more of a road course guy than 1/4 mile.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:19 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

My dad-in law has a CS convertible, and said it felt a lot slower than our m/t mustang. It is slower, and if you love to control your own shift points, the auto is not for you. You'll end up shooting yourself in the foot for not waiting and saving a little. Besides, you say loss in rebates, 6 months down the line it is almostthe end of the year, and you know there will be heaps of incentives and rebates then.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:24 PM
MuscleFanatic
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justice

My dad-in law has a CS convertible, and said it felt a lot slower than our m/t mustang. It is slower, and if you love to control your own shift points, the auto is not for you. You'll end up shooting yourself in the foot for not waiting and saving a little. Besides, you say loss in rebates, 6 months down the line it is almostthe end of the year, and you know there will be heaps of incentives and rebates then.
I have only ever driven an auto GT and its VERY nice but I dunno how the manual feels. If its anything better then the auto I think I should wait. Its like on my dirtbike I would hate to have gone around corners in a high gear and been sluggish. I always downshifted and tore up the corner, I dunno its tough.

Quick Reply: 07 AUTO GT? Need advice FAST