Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your trunk lid scratching your rear bumper?

Old 06-11-2007, 12:56 AM
greg94
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Is your trunk lid scratching your rear bumper?

06 saleen coupe, and i noticed the scratches.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:59 AM
wicked95gt

I do drive alot on the highway...60mph + , do you really think the bumper would flex that much at speed?? I was more inclined tothink that the spoiler was maybe creating downforce due to the wind thus pushing down on the trunk lid....thats just a theory I had.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:50 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

i do alot of driving on the highway now and i open and close the trunk, if it has scratches im reportin to the dealer today when i go
Old 06-11-2007, 10:06 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I don't think mine has any scratches but its hard to tell because most of that area is covered by vinyl stripes.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:23 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

I have no idea on mine and I've spent about 12 hours this weekend working in the trunk! But I do have an idea. maybe the bumper is flexing or vibrating at highway speeds. I've noticed that the bumper is pretty flimsy in the center. It moves quite a bit when I chamois it off after a wash.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Jens07stang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangdude81

I have no idea on mine and I've spent about 12 hours this weekend working in the trunk! But I do have an idea. maybe the bumper is flexing or vibrating at highway speeds. I've noticed that the bumper is pretty flimsy in the center. It moves quite a bit when I chamois it off after a wash.
I think you folks are definately on to something with the highway driving speeds causing movement because:
1) my trunk lid sits above my bumper by around1/2 inch too, and
2) the scratches are straight up and down and have some length to them and are ever so slightly in front of the trunk lid.

I'll have to call my dealer.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:54 PM
GTJUNKIE
2nd Gear Member

My 07 doesnt even come close to the bumper. I did loosen up the springs on the lid to try and stop some vibration from my 2 12's but i'm 1/2 an inch away from the bumper. No scratches at all sorry to hear your troubles I would def bring it in and have ford realign the trunk lid and fix the paint.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:38 PM
///austinl

I know this thread is really old, but did anyone ever figure out a solution to this? I just found this on my '12 and others with recent models have the same issue. Over on another board, they are calling it a design flaw.

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f...bumper-532593/
Old 12-15-2014, 10:32 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by ///austinl
I know this thread is really old, but did anyone ever figure out a solution to this? I just found this on my '12 and others with recent models have the same issue. Over on another board, they are calling it a design flaw.

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f...bumper-532593/
Hi ///austinl,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. Have you addressed this trunk issue with your Ford Dealer yet? Be sure to speak with your service manager about this, as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha
Old 12-16-2014, 09:45 AM
///austinl

Deysha,

I was actually at my dealer last week (before I saw this thread and the other one). I pointed it out and my service advisor said it looked like a bag did it. I thought so too until I did a search online. It seems like from this page and the other forum that this is an issue that affects some cars and that there is no real fix. Repainting the bumper fixes it temporarily but people that have had their bumpers repainted have had the issue reoccur.

My concern about it being fixed or my car spending time in the shop is if it does it again - if it's a design flaw - then nothing really is accomplished.

I have about 6,800 miles on my 2012 GT500.

Two photos attached

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is your trunk lid scratching your rear bumper?