Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can dealer tell if i have tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:30 PM
mattstang2007
3rd Gear Member

Default can dealer tell if i have tune?

i was wondering if i get a cai and a tune, if i have to take it in can i put the stock tune back in and the dealer never know, or is there a way of them telling that i had one?

also if i put the cai in will that void the warranty i was reading the book and i does have intakes in it but i hear people saying it wont void it. so ???

sorry i know this question has been asked before.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:32 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Default RE: can dealer tell if i have tune?

I have a question kind of like this. Does the CAI & tune void the warranty? If not, why does the dealer care if you have them?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

If they can prove your aftermarket part caused the failure then that failure doesnt have to be covered under warranty. They(the dealer) cannot just void the warranty. Now if you need to take it to the dealer install stock tune/intake and disconnect the battery for a little while or start it a few times maybe do the switch a few days before the and dealer they wont know a thing. They may ask about it because the hisroty is erased but all you tell them is the you killed the battery a few days ago

That being said you shoud NEVER take it in with a custom tune installed and always before going and after getting it back check your strategy code before trying to reload the custom tune to ensure they didnt flash your PCM and change the code on you.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:37 PM
JimC

With my dealer the service manager said "no problem" to CAI and tune, and said they expect most of the Mustangs will be modded some. He said he needs to know what has been done because sometimes they get updates to the stock tune and will reflash the computer with updates -- if he doesn't know I have the tune he can reflash and really screw up my car as a result. If I reflash and go back to stock before taking it in and he reflashes, when I try to put my tune back on it may not work because the stock tune is different.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

See above my last post about checking strategy code eleviates the need for the dealer to know about the tune. It's easy for him to say that now but if you blow up your enjine I garuntee you he will change his stance on that. You can take you car in with the custom tune of you wish Iwouldnt though unless you have mods that require the tune and arent easily removed.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:24 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

You should never take it in with a tune, EVER, just to play it safe.

And also PLEASE do not believe dealers who say it is fine to mod your car or have a tune. They say that because its not official or legal unless its in writing. As soon as you have a problem they will bring up the mods you have, that you thought they didnt care about, and will void your warranty.

And dont try to use the law to your advantage. Remember, they CAN void your warranty for ANY REASON they want, because the law does not help you unless you actually take them to court. And 99.9% of people do not take dealers to court. Therefore their reasoning is the final say unless you're ready to file in court.

Just take the time and return your car as close to stock every time you visit the dealer. You'll be thankful later.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:07 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

I say mod the hell out of it and just let them know what you have going on before they work. If they want to void the warrenty.....throw the law at them and call Ford (and maybe a lawyer). I got this car because I thought; finally! I get to have fun with a car. Worrying and fun dont go together, so I wont worry and I will mod...Period...