Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How "practical" is the S197?

Old 06-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How "practical" is the S197?

Get a GTO.

*Runs and ducks for cover*

~Fletch~
Old 06-11-2007, 06:30 PM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

Kind of a related question to the practicality of the Mustang.

My mother is currently wheelchair bound after having one of her legs amputated...now how easiy would it be to get a wheelchair into the trunk on these cars? If it involves the need for the seat to go down thats no biggy im just after some information we have not tested a stang here yet with that in mind for her but she really wants a Mustang.

And on the original subject matter buy what your heart says. And unless your focus is doing loads of miles get rid of it . I'd say use the stang as a daily driver im sure running costs fuel etc add up to more than it would be to put some more gas in the stang. and run it everyday. Then save up and buy yourself a vert you really want. No point in settling for something and just making do in my experiance you just end up regretting it.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wozz

Kind of a related question to the practicality of the Mustang.

My mother is currently wheelchair bound after having one of her legs amputated...now how easiy would it be to get a wheelchair into the trunk on these cars? If it involves the need for the seat to go down thats no biggy im just after some information we have not tested a stang here yet with that in mind for her but she really wants a Mustang.
Forget the vert for wheelchair storage, too much of the trunk is taken up by the top well. You pay a huge penalty in lost trunk space!Can't comment on the coupe.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

SELL/TRADE the coupe and get a vert Stang IMO.... I have a VW Jetta as my DD commuter car (albeit my drive is 3/4 of a mile to a train station) and the vert is nice night/weekend ride... room for two kids and a few bags in the trunk if need be....... but I may be biased.....
Old 06-11-2007, 08:15 PM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

i think my Mustang is very practical, especially since it's a fun car to drive. fun cars usually aren't practical.

it's comfortable, roomy, and not terrible on gas.

I say sell the Focus unless you NEED it.

Keep the Mustang and paint that chin spoiler with extended stripes
Old 06-11-2007, 08:47 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

If you are so well "established".......... KEEP BOTH, and buy outright,or finance a VERT, rent a garage / storage unit, so NO car is "slighted"
Sheesh, how hard is that ? If ya got the money, SPEND it Sonny !!!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:43 PM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

GT500 duh!!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SonicBlue05GT

i think my Mustang is very practical, especially since it's a fun car to drive. fun cars usually aren't practical.
Agreed. This car is too much fun. Most people spend a decent amount of time in their cars...drive something that you enjoy! Screw gas mileage and insurance rates. It's totally worth it.

~Fletch~

Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Between me and the wife, we have a 05GT, GT500, 2 Corollas anda 350 King Ranch dual.
Even if the wife loves the GT, We been talking about selling it.
I love the GT500 but I just can't get myself to sell the GT. I know I would miss it too much.

I'm certain you will regret it. Sell the Focus! Have you considered a v6Mustang for a daily driver?
Pat

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

Ok, here's the situation. I own two cars. Both are paid off. One is an 2006 Mustang GT Coupe the other is a 2005 Focus four door hatchback ZX5. I'm single, so my cars don't get driven too often.

I use the Mustang as my weekend car and I love it. However, I want a convertible. Here's the thing. I don't want to get rid of my coupe. It feels more like mine than any car I own, especially after the modifications I've done. I also like the looks of the coupe better than the convertible (maybe I'm the only one?). Plus, selling it and trading it for a convertible Mustang means my daily driver is still my Focus.

So, that leaves the Focus. It gets decent gas mileage, EPA has it at about 26/32. It's practical, it's pretty roomie. It's also stripped down (ZX5S). The only options I got were automatic transmission and air conditioning. No power windows, no power seat, no center arm rest, stereo is OK, crank windows, gauges are limited, plastic hubcaps, etc. You get the picture. It can be fun to drive for an ecomony car and I don't hesitate recommending it to others. I'm just not into it.

There are times when I prefer the Focus to the Mustang. Usually in the city, where parking and traffic are a pain. That's where the Focus really shines. I can't see myself replacing it with something bigger. I just can't see myself owning two Mustangs, either, say my V8 and a V6 Convertible.

I'm thinking about buying a small roadster. I've only owned American cars and I really like the looks of the Pontiac Solstice. It gets good gas mileage, the styling is there, and I can easily afford it.

If I do that, though, my Mustang will move from garage queen to occassional people mover. Whatever roadster I get will be a commuter car and for occassional weekend trips. One reason I'm specifically looking at these vehicles is because their highway gas mileage isn't much worse than my Focus. Plus, I get the convertible I want.

This could work, right? One of the reasons I bought the Mustang instead of another Corvette was the additional room. I even hauled shleves in it the other day.

Heck, one of my good friends has had a Cobra for about 11 years. He has two kids, too, they happily ride in the back. I keep thinking back to my family when I was a kid. My parents had two kids and three cars: an F-150, a Grand Am, and a Bronco II. All two door vehicles. We never seemed to have any problem with space. I'm single with no kids. I just don't think I need a four door.

So, what should I do? Should I keep the Focus or get rid of it? Life is too short to drive something you're not into, right? Or maybe six months from now I'll be kicking myself for not keeping the Focus?

Please, no comments about saving my money! I'm not going to share my financial business online. I might be shy of 30 years old, but I'm very, very well established.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:05 AM
explict
4th Gear Member

sell the focus, keep the stang and get a vert stang

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How "practical" is the S197?