Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How "practical" is the S197?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:16 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default How "practical" is the S197?

Ok, here's the situation. I own two cars. Both are paid off. One is an 2006 Mustang GT Coupe the other is a 2005 Focus four door hatchback ZX5. I'm single, so my cars don't get driven too often.

I use the Mustang as my weekend car and I love it. However, I want a convertible. Here's the thing. I don't want to get rid of my coupe. It feels more like mine than any car I own, especially after the modifications I've done. I also like the looks of the coupe better than the convertible (maybe I'm the only one?). Plus, selling it and trading it for a convertible Mustang means my daily driver is still my Focus.

So, that leaves the Focus. It gets decent gas mileage, EPA has it at about 26/32. It's practical, it's pretty roomie. It's also stripped down (ZX5S). The only options I got were automatic transmission and air conditioning. No power windows, no power seat, no center arm rest, stereo is OK, crank windows, gauges are limited, plastic hubcaps, etc. You get the picture. It can be fun to drive for an ecomony car and I don't hesitate recommending it to others. I'm just not into it.

There are times when I prefer the Focus to the Mustang. Usually in the city, where parking and traffic are a pain. That's where the Focus really shines. I can't see myself replacing it with something bigger. I just can't see myself owning two Mustangs, either, say my V8 and a V6 Convertible.

I'm thinking about buying a small roadster. I've only owned American cars and I really like the looks of the Pontiac Solstice. It gets good gas mileage, the styling is there, and I can easily afford it.

If I do that, though, my Mustang will move from garage queen to occassional people mover. Whatever roadster I get will be a commuter car and for occassional weekend trips. One reason I'm specifically looking at these vehicles is because their highway gas mileage isn't much worse than my Focus. Plus, I get the convertible I want.

This could work, right? One of the reasons I bought the Mustang instead of another Corvette was the additional room. I even hauled shleves in it the other day.

Heck, one of my good friends has had a Cobra for about 11 years. He has two kids, too, they happily ride in the back. I keep thinking back to my family when I was a kid. My parents had two kids and three cars: an F-150, a Grand Am, and a Bronco II. All two door vehicles. We never seemed to have any problem with space. I'm single with no kids. I just don't think I need a four door.

So, what should I do? Should I keep the Focus or get rid of it? Life is too short to drive something you're not into, right? Or maybe six months from now I'll be kicking myself for not keeping the Focus?

Please, no comments about saving my money! I'm not going to share my financial business online. I might be shy of 30 years old, but I'm very, very well established.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:24 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How "practical" is the S197?

trade both cars in on a convertable corvette

not sure what else could solve your issue
Old 06-11-2007, 04:50 AM
blkGTconvert04
2nd Gear Member

the great thing about the mustang Its a great daily driver and has the performance of some cars that are not daily drivers. I can fit 3 sets of golf clubs in the mustang. also when I go on trips I can bring all the luggage I need, has a back seat yeah its small but its better than having no back seat. its not too low and you don't have to do acrobatics to get in and out. Hell my dads 2004 Stratus R/T 2 door coupe is lower than mine. Gas is really the only thing that is hurting the mustang right now. I put 20bucks in yesterday and already its saying 50 miles to E. Atleast you dont have to use Premium gas. But I still say sell the focus. IMO

For example, many people drive a 350Z as there daily driver but think about it, not that great on gas for a 6cyl, no back seat, 3 sets of gold clubs? yeah right. and I believe it takes "premium unleaded" only just some things to think about if you are thinking on selling the Mustang.

Theres practical then theres practical with an attitude I guess thats one of the reason why I bought my mustang and one of the reasons why its a very popular car.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:28 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

I guarantee you will miss the Mustang as soon as you sell it.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:29 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

keep the focus for gas and daily driving purpose then sell the mustang and get a vert.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:15 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Are you only considering an American made roadster/convertible? I think a Mini Cooper S cabriolet would fit your bill(small, nimble, 4 seater, decent mpg, good performance andunder $30K)
Just a suggestion..................
Old 06-11-2007, 09:02 AM
JudisStang
2nd Gear Member

If money isn't a problem, keep them both and get the convert. you want! You only live once!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

Most of those mod you should be able to put on a new Satng if you trade for a vert.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

It's a Stang, keep the Stang. Done.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

This sounds like a no-brainer to me; keep the Focus, sell the Mustang and buy a Mustang vert. While you may be attached to your current 'stang, once you get the new one and start modding it you'll bond with it too. The Focus sounds like the perfect bang-around daily driver and parts getter, it's worth hanging onto considering you won't get squat for it if you sell it.

Quick Reply: How "practical" is the S197?