Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I should have gotta gt....

Old 06-14-2007, 07:55 PM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

Default RE: I should have gotta gt....

You still have more horsepower and torque than alot of the rice burners out there and you can make it into one heck of a sleeper. Insurance and gas are also alot cheaper.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:00 PM
spooky
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MirandaRae

Be happy you have a V6..

you could be stuck driving a honda.

i traded in my Honda for my V6.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Very true that no matter what you have someone will have better and youll want more.

Just youtube search on Top Gear's review of the Bugatti Veyron. A street car that makes you think nothingof Ferraris, Lambos, Nascars, and even F1 cars. 1100HP, 4 turbochargers, 10 radiators, and 250mph!

Just an example that NO ONE will ever be happy (Well, unless you're the guy in the Bugatti!)
Old 06-14-2007, 08:31 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

ORIGINAL: EmperorOfChicken

^ not so much, look at the classic stangs. for the most part they are pretty collectible, but the I6s (inline 6, didnt have v config then) are the cheapest and not very collectible. but, a new v6 stang is about as fast ad my 65 stang with a 289 v8. technology does wonders.
its actually about as fast as the 65 gt350 [&:]
Well, maybe on the stock bias ply skinny donuts they were running back then. A restored to stock'65 GT350 witha 3.89 locker rear would easily beat a stock S197 V-6 if given modern tires to run on.
As for losing on trading in for a GT, yes, initially(although if you buy used the blow would be much less).
As for all the V-6s listed that run 12's, yes, again, but they're in no way comfortable, everyday, maintaining a factory warranty type of cars. Trading in your V-6(better yet selling it outright for $15-16K) and getting a used GT for $19-21K puts you anywhere from $3-6K backwards, but in 5 years that GT will still be worth $3-6K more than a V-6(especially if you start modding the crap out of one).
If you do your homework and be patient(unlike what you've admitted to), I'm sure you can realize yourwanting for a GT without getting too screwed over.
I do realize certain V-6 owners will claim this and that about the virtues of the GT's little brother(and they are all, for the most part,true). Yes a S/C'd V-6 will run with a GT, and with elevated boost levels it would surpass a stock GT, but if a stock V-6's mpg is just barely better than a stock GT's, imagine the hit with a S/C? There goes all that savings(alleged) on insurance vs a GT. Yes, I own a GT, but I nearly bought a V-6 back when the S197 first came out, and if it weren't for a rude salesman and the fact I couldn't get the color/options I wanted in a certain time frame I would have gottenit. InsteadI went in search of a GT(which were going for $3-10K over MSRP at the time) and got one for MSRP($27,050 for a Prem GT). I traded that one in for an '06 GT(dealer gave me $22K, lost $5K in 18 months), but new car was $26.4K and my losses were minimal when factoring the 0% financing I took advantage of last Labor Day weekend.
Just letting you know, when you factor all the mods to make a V-6 even or surpass a stock GT in performance, it's all money down the drain(you'll be better off parting the car out when you decide to sell to recoup any money spent on mods). So yes, you might see it as a BIG loss when talking about losing $5-7K if trading up to as GT, but look at the classified ads, low mileage New Edge GTs vs New Edge V-6s are around $4-8K in price difference and modded V-6s are probably worth less due to perspective buyers being weary of such mods being performed(and how car was treated/driven).
You think you might be losing now, but in the end you probably aren't. Besides a $2K investment in a GT would result in high 12's and maintain a factory warranty(if you remove the CAI before making a claim). Just food for thought, okay V-6 guys, let me have it.........................
Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

ohnoesaz
Just an example that NO ONE will ever be happy (Well, unless you're the guy in the Bugatti!)

No, he's not happy because this guy, in a street legal car, would rape him. His 0 - 60 is 1 second flat.
Take a look (I'm sure it's been posted before):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtxfbxGz1u4
Old 06-14-2007, 08:44 PM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

you can mod it all you want, but it still won't feel or sound like a V8.

I too learned the hard way and have had 2 LS1s and 2 GTs since my first lil 6'er
Old 06-15-2007, 03:24 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

ORIGINAL: EmperorOfChicken

^ not so much, look at the classic stangs. for the most part they are pretty collectible, but the I6s (inline 6, didnt have v config then) are the cheapest and not very collectible. but, a new v6 stang is about as fast ad my 65 stang with a 289 v8. technology does wonders.
its actually about as fast as the 65 gt350 [&:]
Well, maybe on the stock bias ply skinny donuts they were running back then. A restored to stock'65 GT350 witha 3.89 locker rear would easily beat a stock S197 V-6 if given modern tires to run on.
As for losing on trading in for a GT, yes, initially(although if you buy used the blow would be much less).
As for all the V-6s listed that run 12's, yes, again, but they're in no way comfortable, everyday, maintaining a factory warranty type of cars. Trading in your V-6(better yet selling it outright for $15-16K) and getting a used GT for $19-21K puts you anywhere from $3-6K backwards, but in 5 years that GT will still be worth $3-6K more than a V-6(especially if you start modding the crap out of one).
If you do your homework and be patient(unlike what you've admitted to), I'm sure you can realize yourwanting for a GT without getting too screwed over.
I do realize certain V-6 owners will claim this and that about the virtues of the GT's little brother(and they are all, for the most part,true). Yes a S/C'd V-6 will run with a GT, and with elevated boost levels it would surpass a stock GT, but if a stock V-6's mpg is just barely better than a stock GT's, imagine the hit with a S/C? There goes all that savings(alleged) on insurance vs a GT. Yes, I own a GT, but I nearly bought a V-6 back when the S197 first came out, and if it weren't for a rude salesman and the fact I couldn't get the color/options I wanted in a certain time frame I would have gottenit. InsteadI went in search of a GT(which were going for $3-10K over MSRP at the time) and got one for MSRP($27,050 for a Prem GT). I traded that one in for an '06 GT(dealer gave me $22K, lost $5K in 18 months), but new car was $26.4K and my losses were minimal when factoring the 0% financing I took advantage of last Labor Day weekend.
Just letting you know, when you factor all the mods to make a V-6 even or surpass a stock GT in performance, it's all money down the drain(you'll be better off parting the car out when you decide to sell to recoup any money spent on mods). So yes, you might see it as a BIG loss when talking about losing $5-7K if trading up to as GT, but look at the classified ads, low mileage New Edge GTs vs New Edge V-6s are around $4-8K in price difference and modded V-6s are probably worth less due to perspective buyers being weary of such mods being performed(and how car was treated/driven).
You think you might be losing now, but in the end you probably aren't. Besides a $2K investment in a GT would result in high 12's and maintain a factory warranty(if you remove the CAI before making a claim). Just food for thought, okay V-6 guys, let me have it.........................
i don't want to turn this into a v6 vs gt fight, but think about this-
i pay literally HALF the insurance i would pay monthly for a gt, and even with every single option on the car, i payed under 20k (family that works for ford). so let's say i save at the very least 1,500 bucks a year on insurance, i payed 6k less for my new v6 (comparing to a completely base gt) and i get the 3-year 36k warranty or whatever. The warranty is nonsense to me because it is gone after 36k anyway, and almost everyone on this site is modding or modded. the ph turbo cars around right now are running at least mid 12's and two are VERY close to 11's on the stock block (12.1ish at 118-119 for them) on 11-12 psi which is not too unsafe on the 4.0...both of the cars im refering to are daily drivers too, not track cars. So let's say i were to trade in for a used gt and get it for 20-21k (probably 15k+ miles so just a year or two left on warranty maybe) and get 15-16k for my car...i am out at LEAST 5k for that, 1,500 per year for insurance, and some for gas ( if you think the forced induction systems out currently decrease your gas mileage signifigantly you are wrong) Then i can end up keeping my gt stock and for the remainder of the warranty and maybe having some money left over for mild bolt ons later, or i can have a forced induction 4.0 with 300+whp and have some money. All of the f/i systems for the 4.0 accept the x-charger (as of now) can make 315rwhp fairly easily with a decent tune, and the v6 weighs what 250 lbs less than the gt? What non-forced induction gt is breaking into the 400whp area? If you are looking to buy and don't have either yet, but are looking for big power, of course the gt is the better buy, but after you buy, you will often be better off financially modding the 6er. The gt is not the way to go for power in every situation, don't kid yourself on that.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:45 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SonicBlue05GT you can mod it all you want, but it still won't feel or sound like a V8. I too learned the hard way and have had 2 LS1s and 2 GTs since my first lil 6'er
Yes you are correct but the one thing you are wrong about, you car will never sound like a V6 or feel like one either. They are difference and uninquness for a reason. Ilove my car but I have had 2 BIG V8 stangs in the past and they can't hold a candle to my LIL V6! It screams so what is lost in "sound and feel" is made up for in looks, handeling and well ITS MINE!!!haha

@05GTdriver....I don't agree with you....lol....For the most part I do execpt for one thing,

We S197 owners are all dumping money down the drain. ALl the mods you put on the car are a loss unless you find the "right buyer"! The market value in the long run on the GT but it will be looked down on as are theV6 are looked down upon in the very near future. There is really no money in resale of a small V8 F150 due to the big V10 or 5.4 or Turbo diesle. This will be the market for the GT in a year or two as the Bullit, GT 500KR, shelby GT, GT 350 and all the other BIG modles come out.
There is really no comparison between the 3.8 and the 4.0, its like saying the 1997 GT and 2005 Gt are comparable but are they really?
New Edge GT's aren't really a great investment as are the 96-00 GT's too many and not enought power with the TERM or Cobra modles floating around. $4K to $8K difference is about what these cars are at new. Thats not a loss, ts the start and continuation of the market!!!

Bottom line I like my V6 my hearty fast lil V6! It isn't a rocket but I can do a hell of alot with it and still be below the cost of a GT, yes I'm losing money but arent we all? Will I keep the car, hell yes I have 2 daughters right around the corner from driving and its safe cheap and will be paid for by then. No investment lost....IMO
Old 06-15-2007, 04:56 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Its funny butI know many people that think this way!!!!!!!LOLSo true.
ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

No one in the world is ever happy, so feel better.

The fact is had you got a GT you'd be saying "I shouldve got a Shelby GT"

had you got a Shelby GT youd be saying "I should've got a GT500"

Had you bought a GT500 you'd say "For that money I should've got a corvette or porsche!") (I know thats what I'd be saying...)

And remember, had you got a Charger or Civic Si etc, you'd be saying "I shouldve got a mustang, even if it was a V6"

So anyways, be happy you have what you have rather than always wanting more.

Hey, do you think Donald Trump likes his Learjet? I can guarantee you he thinks to himself that he should've saved and then gotten a giant 747. It doesnt matter who you are, we always want more even though we have a great thing!
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 06-15-2007, 05:06 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I did not buy and mod my car to say it is an investment. I think people are a little naive if they think they will ever make money on a car in the long run (or short run) unless it is very exclusive or in very limited numbers and all original. I bought it for my own reasons and plan on keeping it for a very long time. Can I say I will make money on the car come time to sell it? I highly doubt it ...I just hope to re- coup some of the 1000's of dollars I put into it. For me it is a hobby and a very expensive one that makes me very happy.JMO
ORIGINAL: rmays06

ORIGINAL: SonicBlue05GT you can mod it all you want, but it still won't feel or sound like a V8. I too learned the hard way and have had 2 LS1s and 2 GTs since my first lil 6'er
Yes you are correct but the one thing you are wrong about, you car will never sound like a V6 or feel like one either. They are difference and uninquness for a reason. Ilove my car but I have had 2 BIG V8 stangs in the past and they can't hold a candle to my LIL V6! It screams so what is lost in "sound and feel" is made up for in looks, handeling and well ITS MINE!!!haha

@05GTdriver....I don't agree with you....lol....For the most part I do execpt for one thing,

We S197 owners are all dumping money down the drain. ALl the mods you put on the car are a loss unless you find the "right buyer"! The market value in the long run on the GT but it will be looked down on as are theV6 are looked down upon in the very near future. There is really no money in resale of a small V8 F150 due to the big V10 or 5.4 or Turbo diesle. This will be the market for the GT in a year or two as the Bullit, GT 500KR, shelby GT, GT 350 and all the other BIG modles come out.
There is really no comparison between the 3.8 and the 4.0, its like saying the 1997 GT and 2005 Gt are comparable but are they really? I have to agree with you on this!!!!!!!!!!![sm=exactly.gif]J
New Edge GT's aren't really a great investment as are the 96-00 GT's too many and not enought power with the TERM or Cobra modles floating around. $4K to $8K difference is about what these cars are at new. Thats not a loss, ts the start and continuation of the market!!!

Bottom line I like my V6 my hearty fast lil V6! It isn't a rocket but I can do a hell of alot with it and still be below the cost of a GT, yes I'm losing money but arent we all? Will I keep the car, hell yes I have 2 daughters right around the corner from driving and its safe cheap and will be paid for by then. No investment lost....IMO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I should have gotta gt....