Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's hope Ford can learn some more about designing new mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:20 PM
oakman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Let's hope Ford can learn some more about designing new mustangs

Its a Mustang thing some people wouldn't understand.
So true, I bought mine cause I wanted the retro design. Not a money issue could have had anything. Ford has a winner, and again everyone is trying to catch up. A co-worker was interested in Mustangs and I helped him shop for a GT. He goes out and test drives one and then a Charger R/T with a hemi. Then he comes in the next day and says the GT has no power and when he stepped on the Charger it blew the Mustang away. Now I know he is officially on crack. To make himself feel more confident in his decision he tries to down play the Mustang. Says it is cheap inside, blah, blah. He even gives me a comparison between the stang, charger and a corvette and asks me what I think. You mean besides that fact that those cars are not even the same thing, costs way more, etc. etc. He ends up buying a 4 door charger R/T. 4 door - you kidding me? That's not a sports car. See he was not a true believer to start with. When you get a Stang you are a part of legend, something way bigger than yourself or the car. He settled for something that has a popular name only and has no resemblance to its heritage. He truly missed it - its a Mustang thing and he will never understand. [:@]
Old 06-18-2007, 03:44 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

With the Camaro and Challenger coming we need some fresh designs instead of the same ole, same ole. This is a picture of either a rumored Mach 1 or Boss. Looks like another Shelby GT which is a great looking machine but please Ford have you not any new ideas? Shat.

Like dual axles or a cherry picker or sum-thin'???? Seems like there are new ideas floating around all over, but they all revolve around the Mustang having 4 wheels and two doors. I'd suggest a built-in tractor beam to zero in on all those new Camaros flying past our Mustangs, except we wouldn't be able to use it very often (with there being only one Camaro concept car and all).

I'm sorry for being mean, but I just couldn't stop myself. I think this thread was poorly worded - how about... "If you could sit down with the Ford engineers in charge of the next Mustang, what would you tell them to make?".

Daniel60, you obviously have ideas. So did Jack Rousch, Steve Saleen, and Carroll Shelby. There are ways of putting your ideas on the pavement - including, but not limited to - becoming part of the engineering team that designs the next Mustang.

When Thomas Edison started making light bulbs, nobody had electricity. Think about that.... he had a product for which there was no use. Because of the electric distribution system that he had to create before he could sell a single light bulb, we're part of this forum.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Pony Ride
1st Gear Member

Interesting thread I've been missing over the weekend.....

The Mustang leads its market niche because it's the only car in its segment. Camaro and Challenger are coming back, but it remains to be seen if those cars will be able to compete price wise. Ford's next gen needs to be a lesson in marketing as well as design. Ford will continue to lead this segment with affordable sproty pony cars offered in both base (V6) and GT (V8) models. That's what will keep it in front of the competition. In case you've forgotten, historically and over the yearsFord hasrarely been the fastest pony car in the market (comparing apples to apples), but it's been the best total package on the market. IMO, Ford has a huge challenge to increase power while staying within government requirements for MPG without having to impose the gas guzzler tax. They also face a challenge in reducing weight but still meeting new government safety requirements. As far as looks, Ford has always been the leader in this segment, both with the exterior and interior design. I'm not worried.....

But for marketing lessons learned.... I wish Ford would stop making the dealers rich with these limited production SE models. It's insane! Just offer options to the base V6 and GT models so consumers can build their own.... engine, suspension, and other performance upgrades fromthe base models. That way, if somebody wants a base GT for around $25K they can still have it, but if they want a more deluxe muscle car GT, they can build it without being ripped off by the dealers. This will make them more available to more people at a more affordable price (without these stupid 2nd stickers), and guess what Ford? .... you might even sell more of these machines.... think about it.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 PM
JudisStang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

this I would by in a New York minute.
ME TOO!

Hot lookin' - seriously!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Puckhog407
2nd Gear Member

Is it just me ... or does the back half of that fastback resemble a 70 Torino? Not a bad thing, I owned a 70 Torino and it just struck me as very similar. I need to dig up a pic of the Torino's back end.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:43 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pony Ride

Interesting thread I've been missing over the weekend.....

The Mustang leads its market niche because it's the only car in its segment. Camaro and Challenger are coming back, but it remains to be seen if those cars will be able to compete price wise. Ford's next gen needs to be a lesson in marketing as well as design. Ford will continue to lead this segment with affordable sproty pony cars offered in both base (V6) and GT (V8) models. That's what will keep it in front of the competition. In case you've forgotten, historically and over the yearsFord hasrarely been the fastest pony car in the market (comparing apples to apples), but it's been the best total package on the market. IMO, Ford has a huge challenge to increase power while staying within government requirements for MPG without having to impose the gas guzzler tax. They also face a challenge in reducing weight but still meeting new government safety requirements. As far as looks, Ford has always been the leader in this segment, both with the exterior and interior design. I'm not worried.....

But for marketing lessons learned.... I wish Ford would stop making the dealers rich with these limited production SE models. It's insane! Just offer options to the base V6 and GT models so consumers can build their own.... engine, suspension, and other performance upgrades fromthe base models. That way, if somebody wants a base GT for around $25K they can still have it, but if they want a more deluxe muscle car GT, they can build it without being ripped off by the dealers. This will make them more available to more people at a more affordable price (without these stupid 2nd stickers), and guess what Ford? .... you might even sell more of these machines.... think about it.
Very well said, regarding the marketing, I guess as long as they have enough lining up to buy, they'll continue to use that model. However here is where Chevy can actually help us, by using your model for the Camaro Ford will be hopefully forced to do the same (in my dreams anyway)...