Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple Supercharger Installation - Major Issues UPDATED W/ PICS

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:18 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple Supercharger Installation - Major Issues

i know the metal is fairly soft, i was surprised how
easily i was able to hack saw through it. i had mine
off and was holding it in my hand

good luck with it and your whipple brothers are here to
help ya

Old 06-23-2007, 09:35 PM
sechmura

Well, thanks to everyone who posted a reply. I called and spoke with Art Whipple about my coolant loss issue, and his immediate response was to send in the supercharger and intercooler system

Upon removing the supercharger from the intake manifold, you can see where the coolant was disappearing too.

I think it's reasonable to believe that coolant leaking into the intake manifold would be the reason for my "major problems" as posted originally. Can someone chime in and offer a confirmation that coolant burning off in the engine would have some effect on the PCM?

Old 06-23-2007, 10:02 PM
redbullet
1st Gear Member

Coolant will foul the plugs, clean the chamber and piston tops and kill the O2's and cats.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:08 PM
sechmura

ORIGINAL: redbullet

Coolant will foul the plugs, clean the chamber and piston tops and kill the O2's and cats.
The local Ford dealer said I'd be fine, but obviously I'd rather take your recommended course of action. However, when you say clean the "piston tops" what exactly does that entail? Are you suggesting I remove the cylinder heads? Also, how many O2 sensors are in the Mustang. My Jetta seems to have a few. I planned on upgrading the exhaust with a Corsa system, so I guess I can add new cats to the upgrade.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:55 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

how do your spark plugs look......the injector does
look a bit nasty

Old 06-23-2007, 11:02 PM
sechmura

The sparks plugs look fine. The 2 plugs near the back of the engine (1 on each side) seemed to have a little something (not really gunk), but not anything comparable to the fuel injectors in the pic. The best way I can describe it is more like carbon buildup on a used spark plug, nothing to excessive, and barely noticeable. Also, only 2 injectors, the same ones located in the back of the engine were caked.

Also, to those interested, I had originally added a bottle of Water Wetter to the intercooler tank per the Whipple installation manual.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:10 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

interesting, thanks for the reply.

i'm sure whipple will take care of you.....everything
is gonna be fine and you'll be back on the
road in a week or two

ORIGINAL: sechmura

The sparks plugs look fine. The 2 plugs near the back of the engine (1 on each side) seemed to have a little something (not really gunk), but not anything comparable to the fuel injectors in the pic. The best way I can describe it is more like carbon buildup on a used spark plug, nothing to excessive, and barely noticeable. Also, only 2 injectors, the same ones located in the back of the engine were caked.

Also, to those interested, I had originally added a bottle of Water Wetter to the intercooler tank per the Whipple installation manual.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:24 PM
kleistang
3rd Gear Member

do you have sportline springs on your car. it looks nice thats the look i want. sorry to hear about the issue with the supercharger
Old 06-24-2007, 12:18 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sechmura

Whipple recommends removing the stop tab with a cutting tool, but since you ask, I did it using a screwdriver and hammer. I'll take a good look at the tensioner tomorrow when the lights better. When I'm experiencing the problems per my original post, I did notice the tensioner wobbling around. It seems to be okay when the engine is running fine.
Actually Whipple recomends to file the tab off, The yellowish color inside that intake manifold, the condition of the injector and the dirt inside the IC reservoir are definetely not normal for a car that's been driven for an hour, or even a few dozen hours, mine has over 3000k miles and looks clean as the first day.
The belt coming off is by no means normal, something must be missaligned or stuck, I have the 3.125"12 psi pulley and had no slippage until I had the engine "professionally" cleaned and the morons sprayed WD40 all over, after cleanning the belt ad pulleyswith alcohol the slippage is gone again.
Obviously if the IC is leakingcoolant there is something wrong with the unit and must be fixed by whipple granted it was not an installation problem.
As per the code, every now and then I get a code when I start the engine in the morningbecause the mixture is too rich (I can tell by the smell of the fumes, and the engine hesitates if I accelerate the engine during the first minute or sobefore it warms up, and it is by doing so that I get the code) The mixture at start up when cold is supposed to be richer but never threw a code before, I erase the code with the tuner and no codes until I repeat the above process.

[sm=signs003.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/60520/B59052800AAE4296A43D58D2094794C0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-24-2007, 01:12 AM
davisr014
2nd Gear Member

JRM1900 what kind of power are you making? I am looking at the same setup.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Whipple Supercharger Installation - Major Issues UPDATED W/ PICS