Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SilverHorse Racing SIDE WINDOWS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:15 AM
MUSTANGO7GTCS

Default SilverHorse Racing SIDE WINDOWS

Hey all,any one install these and if u did any problems with them ordered my will be in on thursday
Old 06-25-2007, 03:29 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: SilverHorse Racing SIDE WINDOWS

I put in like the third set out there back in the winter- painted myself- PITA for sure, then didnt use the 'adhesion promoter', 4 months later they pulled loose from the urethane...while they were out(waiting for another tube of the right urethane AND ADHESION PROMOTER) thought I'd wetsand/buffout the clearcoat, and promptly ruined the paint...due to the depth of the 'vents' its really tough to get normal coverage, rubbed thru it in a second...no time to paint over, so ordered a second set in prepaint, installed with the promoter, back in business.

absolutely love the look of these things, never cared for those quarter windows- these to me compliment the lines of the car great, and look more like 'part of the car' than the stick on style. install is a little bit of work, but 2~3 hours and its done deal. just remember- ADHESION PROMOTER IS NOT AN OPTION!!!

Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

I want to order a set as well, but I was wondering if I should get it pre-painted from them, or take the louvers into a shop and have them painted.

Were your pre-painted set done well? Does the paint match your car, clean lines, and all that stuff? My car's about a year old, so I'm just a little curious about fading and that stuff, and if a local shop would be able to do a better job matching the paint.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

I would get them prepainted from them. I trashed the set I ordered after the body shop mangeled them. The lines weren't straight, the paint had build up in the corners. And there were burnt in fingerprints in the clear part of the plastic. Now I know it will vary by shop, but why not have someone paint them that has done 100's of them. I mean, it's like $150 more or something right? That's what you will pay most everywhere, so again why not just have the BEST do it.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:41 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

I spent several hours masking my first set, and was really happy with the way they turned out(edges/colormatch), but had some grainy areas in the clearcoat from blowback when spraying over the vents...when they came loose(my fault/no promoter) thought I'd buff them up, but instead screwed the paint up...the prepainted I ordered to replace them had a better color match, and a bit smoother finish, but on a scale of 1~10 I'd give the paintlines about a 7, my original set about a 8...no matter what they are there, just on the prepaints I see a bigger ridge- almost looks like if you took a fingernail to it, you might be able to peel it up- but like I said, just looks like...no problems so far with paint adhesion. most likely biggest reason for the slightly heavier lip is the extra clearcoat- and that should be a good thing...
Biggest disappointment in the prepaints were that the outer perimeter was not sanded round- and one front edge of mine already has a tiny chip on the edge- the rather sharp edgewill tend to be more easily damaged...I woulda preferred a radiused edge like the factory glass as the paint might be less prone to edge chipping- painting up to a rather sharp edge is kinda not ideal in my opinion...its all personal preference, and whose to say whats best...
in any event, I seriously doubt you will find a bodyshop that would spend several hours prepping/masking, then spraying a very first set better than the shop SHR uses- these are a PITA to paint, and I'm certain very easily ruined...practice makes perfect, and the shop SHR uses has done a boatload of them so far. 150 bucks might seem steep for painting a couple pieces of plastic, but doubt a bodyshop would do a one-time thing for less than that...they are simply not easy to paint/mask, due to the very shape that makes them work so well with the car
Old 06-26-2007, 07:48 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

SilverHorse racing is a low end company that sells a few
cheap upgrade parts for Ford Stangs. The HoneyComb
blackout panel leaves much to be desired. The fit was
lousy and I sent it back. It also didnt lay flat on the decklid.
YUCK.[:@]
Old 06-26-2007, 08:23 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Well we aren't talking about decklid panels now are we?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:24 PM
leo_06gt
2nd Gear Member

I disagree SHR makes great quality parts. You probably got a bad one.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:48 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

SilverHorse racing is a low end company that sells a few
cheap upgrade parts for Ford Stangs. The HoneyComb
blackout panel leaves much to be desired. The fit was
lousy and I sent it back. It also didnt lay flat on the decklid.
YUCK.[:@]

I disagree 100% on this one...if you have ANY issues, call Marcello, I'm certain he would make things right. He really bent over backwards to help me out (due to my own mistakes) and I cannot say enough good things about dealing with them. Stuff happens, but even when it does, hes the kind of guy tohelp customers, even if not really any of his fault. look over in the appearance mods thread over at themustangsource.com theres a louver thread, honeycomb thread, others, and ALL feedback Ive heard about SHR was they are second to none in customer service.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:06 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I guess I got a bad one.
The plastic filler lines that were
supposed to be trimmed flat
were just broken off by bending
them over. This left high spots
on the back and stressed whitish
discolored plastic on the front
from bending them over to remove
them. There was like 10 spots where
this had happened. And the top edge
didnt match up with the trunk or Faux
GasCap. There was a BIG uneven GAP
along the top with the cap centered and
a little less of a gap with the panel pushed
all the way up and the cap NOT centered.
Big gaps at the edges and tight at the middle
along the top with it pushed all the way up.
Not a good enough fit for me (****).[:@]
JoeHeckRacing is allowing
me to return it for a full refund.
They say that they get bad panels all the time.
9 out of 10 are good normally.

Quick Reply: SilverHorse Racing SIDE WINDOWS