Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wtf i failed inspection!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 PM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: wtf i failed inspection!

My car just flunked in NC last week. It had "O2 sensors not ready" and Cat converters not ready." I guess the machine reads emmissions parameters even though there are no CEL or codes on my SCT box. The inspector said to drive around for a couple of hundred miles after disconnecting the battery. BTW my exhaust is stock, but I had some rich codes thrown when the supercharger first went on last June. There is the chance I poisoned the O2 sensors??
Old 06-25-2007, 07:42 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brendend

is it a legit sticker?
UH that would be a great big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 06-25-2007, 07:45 PM
05 Mustang GT
2nd Gear Member

I recently had my safety and emissions done and had no problem passing. I have the JLT CAI and tune installed.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:46 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

Yea our cars have a new CAN system in them and the older emmisions machines can not communicate with it because the machines are not yet available. They should have passed you.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:29 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ANBAUTO

Yea our cars have a new CAN system in them and the older emmisions machines can not communicate with it because the machines are not yet available. They should have passed you.
That's not entirely correct. Its true that the CAN system doesn't communicate with the older type of scanners. However, this means it would not read any codes. My use has shown that the scanner doesn't realize theres any communication problem as well. It just thinks everything is fine.I had an engine light come on a few months after I installed a BBk CAI without a tune. The scanner would not read or remove a codes. I reinstalled the stock CIA (which I never should have removed in the first place) and after about 25 miles of driving the light dissapeared.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

It depends on the state but if you have a custom tune that may have shutoff the O2 sensors, thereby causing the errors your inspectors are seeing. Change back to stock for emmisions inspection and you should be fine.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

+1 on that, My tune had the rear O2 sensors turned off.....so that when I went to get it inspected it failed. Reflash the SCT to turn the O2 sensors on, drive for at least 50 miles go and pass your inspection , then reflash to whatever you had.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:49 AM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the driving 50 miles... If your ecu was recently recalibrated, you won't pass the NJ inspection. You have to have at least 50 miles on the current program for it to pass. It has to be learned into the car or something like that... I'm no expert on that, but try a search. I saw it a few weeks ago
Old 06-26-2007, 02:58 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

in cali, the xcal is prohibited from sale. or at least thats what said on my box. i'm keeping my stock airbox so if i have any engine issues i can take it to a dealer and pass emissions when i need to do the smog testing.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Mine failed NC inspection or shouldI say they didn't complete the inspection for these same reasons. The computer said something about the o2 sensors and the converters. The tune i'm running has the rear 2 sensors turned off and I have dynatech hi flo cats and long tubes. So i returned the computer to stock and had the fella try again. Same thing. I guess the computer does have to "learn" the reconfiguration. At any rate...I'm tired of jilly-flickin' around with this messso the car is getting registered in a state of my chosing that has no inspecions. There are some advantages working for uncle sam.

HUTCH

Quick Reply: wtf i failed inspection!