Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uh oh tranny making loud clanging noise

Old 06-26-2007, 12:15 AM
egon
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Uh oh tranny making loud clanging noise

Don't have any clanging, but mine has made some gear/bearing noise from day one while in neutral with the clutch out. Seems to only be noticeable when the trans is warm, but still not very loud -- actually don't notice it until I depress the clutch.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Well I started the car up and could not get the sound again. I then removed the torque limiters and drove for 20 minutes. Could not reproduce sound....

Let me describe what happened more accurately. I was driving and a red light came, so I put it in idle and cruised to a stop. I noticed while in idle that there was a loud clanging. I then pushed the clutch in and the clang WAS STILL THERE, but then I put it in 1st gear BUT DID NOT LET THE CLUTCH OUT, and the sound was gone. Weird.

Again, I live at the bottom of a hill, so I idled down the street. The clanging was there. During this time, the a/c kicked in so the engine rev's went up and the clanging increased in sync with the engine revs. Again, this is during idling down a hill.

Got home, clanging continued as I idled into the garage. Shut off car. Restarted in 5 minutes and the clanging was gone (???). Just idled in the garage, but no clanging.

Sound seemed to definately be coming from underneath the car in the direction of the tranny.

Anyways, im panicky when this stuff happens, but so far it hasn't come back.... I dunno.
Yep, I got 20 bucks that says its the torque limiters.

(J/K about the wager)
Old 06-26-2007, 12:49 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Let me also point out that I autocrossed for the first time yesterday, maybe the stress of it brought out some looseness of the torque limiters? Or do you think torque limiters are just dangerous all together since they take away the tranny's ability to absorb vibration?

I dunno....
Old 06-26-2007, 01:04 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

I never really got to actually fully utilize the torque limiters due to incorrect instructions. When CHE initially sold the torque limiters the instructions said to torque the bellhousing bolts to85 ft-lbs when it should have said 35 ft-lb. Well one of those bolts snappedwhile I was torquing itand the other torque limiterwas installed already. I left it in for fear of snapping it on removal. I after I swapped the clutch and flywheel I left the other one off and said I'd rather get stiffer motor mounts in the futureto achieve the sameresults. I haven't heard of anyone having torque limiter fail on them but that is a bit of a load to place on two bolts.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:12 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Interesting stuff... I knew about the wrong torque instructions, so that wasn't a prob for me thankfully.

But anyways, did you do your own clutch? I've been trying to figure out how difficult that is to do....
Old 06-26-2007, 01:18 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Nah I took it to a tranny shop actually. I was going to do it myself but I punked out last second.Having never have pulled a tranny on anything I wasn't going to start on my 30Ksole means of transportation.