Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes Violator and a loud rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:03 AM
pandemic

Default Pypes Violator and a loud rattle

So I bought a Pypes Violator axel-back exhaustfor my 2006 GT after seeing the ad's here and a few other places. The install wasfairly painless, but im having a loud annoying problem. Specifically, I've got a lovely rattle. Heres the symptom's:

It sounds like metal vibrating on metal in the rear of the car (can't locate a side).
Doesn't happen when im indrive say over about 10MPH+, but i brake at a light or a stop signand it starts and keeps going till i hit the gas.
Sometimes the rattle/vibration is really quiet, some times its really loud (like i can hear it over my 12 inch subs) and i can almost feel the vibration.
Doesn't happen right away, seem's like not until the car is warmed up and i've been driving for a few minutes, but then its fairly consistent.
It does not happen if the car is in park and idling seem's like only when its in drive and stopped.

Tried having my girlfriend listen for the rattle as i pull into the drive way but luck has it that when she does its is pretty quiet and can't be heard on the outside of the exhaust. Today it was so loud a guy behind me at the stop sign flagged me down (of course when i pulled over...its stopped).

I'vetried to yank/shakeon the mid pipe, its not touching or hittingmetal any where I can find and its tight, the dampner/hanger things are tight on the underside, and if i try to wiggle the exhaust i don't here it hit anything and it feel's on tight. The axle back is definetly attached tight to the mid pipe. I've checked where the tip's come out the rear bumber, theres no sign's of rubbing or anything like that and if i wiggle the tips they are really firm.

I've been trying to track down this rattle for now going on 4 day's and im outta idea's, anyone have any tips or insights or things i should check on (even if its of the wall, ill give it a try) ? Tried emailing Pypes yesterday but no response yet (guess i'll try giving them a call). This is the first "big" thing i've doneto my car other than a sound upgrade to the "shaker 500" and its definetly been a less than fun experience, at this point im almost ready to either go to a muffler shop and have them check/fix the issue or just put the factory exhaust back on and eat the $$$ of the pypes exhaust.

~ Flo
Old 06-26-2007, 02:12 AM
LL06GT

Default RE: Pypes Violator and a loud rattle

SAME PROBLEM HERE, STARTED ABOUT A MONTH AFTER INSTALL.I THINK ITS A HEAT SHIELD. IM GONNA CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS THIS WEEKEND. MUFFLERS SOUND GREAT!!!! I GET LOTS OF COMMENTS
Old 06-26-2007, 02:32 AM
pandemic

Eh, checked the heatshieldsunday morning at about 2AM[&:]no such luck, and im running out of beer and bbq to bribe my friends for help with.

~ Flo
Old 06-26-2007, 02:41 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

My only advice is uninstall and reinstall again. Take the hangers off etc and reinstall so nothing is stressed and it sits there easily... I dunno guys. I had the pypes too. I hated the drone so theyre gone, but never had a rattle...
Old 06-26-2007, 02:51 AM
pandemic

I'm gonna try that one more time tomorrow, if that doesn't do it, i'm giving up.

Base:
2006 GT Black w/ Gray pin stripes, rims, and interior and limo tint.
Perf:
K&N Air Intake, Pypes Violator Exhaust, Predator Tune
Sound:
Shaker 500 + 2x12in MTX Thunder 4500, Bolt amp + cap.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:20 PM
pandemic

Finally tracked it down, the hanger near the tip on the driver side was about 3/4inch longer than all the others, and it only had about 1/4 of an inch clearance. As a result it was hitting on bolt connecting the rear bumper to the frame i guess. $29.99 grinder from home depot took care of that Been rattle free all day (put about 60 miles on it today testing it)

~flo
Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 PM
markiemark
1st Gear Member

Are they really loud. Mine are sitting in the garage waiting for install. I also got the x- pipe too! I hope they aren't too loud......Let me know.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:40 PM
pandemic

They're ok, not as loud as i hoped, but an x-pipe should help with that, they really do have a nice deep throaty sound too'em.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:58 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Mine had a bad rattle too, I tracked mine down to an undertightened clamp, I finally got it to do it when stopped and every time I grabbed the clamp, it stopped.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:05 AM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Congratulations Pandemic and Stangdude, way to hang in there and solve it. Now enjoy 'em!

Sleeper2

Quick Reply: Pypes Violator and a loud rattle