Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wax/polish preferences??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:58 PM
VinUnleaded

Default RE: Wax/polish preferences??

I used ZAINO on my black 350Z and got many, many compliments.
However, I always seemed to have fine scratch marks, which I am not sure how they were created....drying, washing?
I used the expensive cannon towels to remove polish as recommended by most zaino users, "big blue" drying towels to dry....yet my buddy who had a yellow Z used Meguiers NXT and hd no scratches....
Thus, I have used Meguiers NXT since then and it costs less...also less work...
Just my opinion....
Also, if you can figure out the scratching issue and dont mind paying more for zaino or the initial overhead of applying the several step process its worth it.
I once scraped my fender on a rusty jagged square pole in a covered parkign spot and although it smudged my 11 coats of zaino polish it DID NOT scratch my paint!
Thats impressive!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:02 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ELEVEN coats of Zaino?!? Good god, man! How long did THAT take? LOL!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:16 PM
VinUnleaded

It takes an afternoon to apply Zaino for the FIRST time....
Basically, you wash the car with their wash liquid, use claybar, then use prep polish, then scratch remover polish then the actual polish.
However, it goes on and off so easy, that i would apply a coat ot two everytime i would wash the car until I had at least 10 coats built up.
Zaino is meant to be applied like that, i.e. build up layers....if you go to their website or any 350Z forum most people have more coats than that!
I think there was one guy who last time I checked had 60+ coats.
I feel thats overkill...but, remember it takes maybe 30 minutes to wash the car and maybe 30 minutes to apply and remove one coat of polish..so each time I would wash, then i would apply a coat or two....
I beleive most people feel Zaino works best on black cars.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:18 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

You cannot avoid those little scratches on a black car. Your fiends car had them too.. you just could not see them. Under the right light..absolutely everything shows up on a black car.

ORIGINAL: VinUnleaded

I used ZAINO on my black 350Z and got many, many compliments.
However, I always seemed to have fine scratch marks, which I am not sure how they were created....drying, washing?
I used the expensive cannon towels to remove polish as recommended by most zaino users, "big blue" drying towels to dry....yet my buddy who had a yellow Z used Meguiers NXT and hd no scratches....
Thus, I have used Meguiers NXT since then and it costs less...also less work...
Just my opinion....
Also, if you can figure out the scratching issue and dont mind paying more for zaino or the initial overhead of applying the several step process its worth it.
I once scraped my fender on a rusty jagged square pole in a covered parkign spot and although it smudged my 11 coats of zaino polish it DID NOT scratch my paint!
Thats impressive!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 PM
krahez

GTJUNKIE and 06GT4RAD,
All I was saying was there was you shouldn't HAVE to clay unless the surface is rough. We all have our preferences, and all our cars shine like diamonds in a goat's a$$. I bought my 05 used and clayed it to start with a smooth canvas. Now I just maintain (almost daily) it's tough, but glad I don't have a black stang.

exx1976
I have seen people do more harm with a claybar than good, ICE came out with a liquid clay which may work well. Ultimately if you are asking the question, you will be rewarded when the job is done. A nice clean showroom shine.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:26 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I was under the impression that as long as you made sure to use the lubricant supplied with the clay kit, there were to be no issues.. Then follow that up with a good polish and then sealant and then wax, and it's supposed to be blinding... ??
Old 06-27-2007, 06:36 PM
krahez

Just make sure the clay stays clean, the way it works it traps the contaminants in the clay, make sure you use small portions of the clay and throw out when they get dirty looking. If you drop it don't try to clean it, throw it out. If you get something substantial from the ground on it you will scratch the hell out of your clearcoat. There was a post I read a while back on here I'll try to find it for you.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:22 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

exx1976
Fast and Cheat don't mean it's not good.
I use it on my car once a week, Believe me, I wouldn't put crap on my car.
However. You asked, and I gave what I use. Just because it doesn't take 4 hours to put on and cost $45. don't mean it ain't good. It's cheap. So try it. If you don't like it it, throw it in the trash and by the expencive one. LOL back at ya.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:28 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ZZ - Fair enough.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:31 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

EX
No Prob

Quick Reply: Wax/polish preferences??